Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times

Advertisements

thundersnow
vermont and skiing sigh lol thats one of the things I miss about living up north.

ok from a womans perspective lets see trip- anniversary hmm yup I would be expecting it then.
Either do it somewhere like after you get off the lift or even on the lift or wait till SF if you really want to surprise her.
lol trust me at each romantic dinner in the back of her mind she will be thinking "is tonight the night".
Especially if you notice she has gotten her nails done before the trip

isn't all this "help" just what you wanted lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:23 PM

21 posts, read 268,009 times
Karla - Good points I hope she doesn't stumble upon this forum and particular post, haha. Highly unlikely!

I had considered doing it on the lift or on the mountain, but there are too many uncontrollable factors -- it could be awful weather (windy, extremely cold, cloudy), there could be too many people around, worst yet I could drop the ring in deep snow!

Best idea I've had is a horse drawn sleigh ride for 2, plenty of places offer it near where we'll be staying, though that all depends on snow. Of course, I could use a horse drawn carriage as a backup at most of the places that offer the sleigh rides.

Initially I was thinking of a romantic dinner, followed by a sleigh ride proposal. Then I found a restaurant near our inn called "The Perfect Wife" and nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Would it be too cruel taking her to such a place but not proposing at dinner? LOL. It would be funny for sure, but it may be even more funny and "cute" if we have dinner there AFTER the sleigh ride & proposal.

Decisions!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times
Default You'll Be Fine!

I think you'll be fine, as long as you know where you stand with your partner and she always wants to be where you are. Eventually she will be able to move to where you are. My son and his girlfriend of 2 1/2 years broke up when he wanted to return home to LA for better job opportunities and his girlfriend just couldn't see herself leaving her family and support system in Pittsburgh behind.It was very hard on my son, but I know that he made the right decision for himself by coming back. She was only 23 years old, so her age may have had something to do with how she felt. If you put other people before your partner, you really aren't committed.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:59 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
As long as you're both committed to making sure you see each othere occasionally, then it certainly sounds like your relationship can handle it. You'll be busy with a new job and learning your way around and Grad students are obviously busy people. I think short separations are a good thing if you trust each other. It makes things more exciting when you do get together and you can show her around SF when she comes to visit.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersnow View Post
Karla - Good points I hope she doesn't stumble upon this forum and particular post, haha. Highly unlikely!
lol thundersnow you don't know how many times I think the same thing.
I have a tread going about what I am trying to pull off on my husband.
I have to keep checking that he is not looking while I type and wait to post till he is either sleeping or at work .

your ideas sound wonderful I would do "the perfect wife" dinner after you ask

hey you could always tie the ring on a ribbon on the horses halter because petting the horse is something I know I couldn't resist. When she gets that OMG is that what I think it is look on her face and turns to you, you could be down on one knee and pop the question .

Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,207 times
Default I am in same predicament

Hi,

I am in a situation where I live in a small city which is very limited in the job opportunities it presents for me. My spouse on the other hand has a well-paying job he doesn't want to leave. I started applying for jobs in a city two hours away and found that I was over run with future employers wanting interviews. I have landed a job which pays reasonably well and found an apartment. I am so torn about this as on one hand I don't want to leave him but on the other hand I feel the need to do this.

Katharine

Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
If it is meant to be you will be fine.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
congrats! sound like you'll do just fine.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa1234 View Post
Hi,

I am in a situation where I live in a small city which is very limited in the job opportunities it presents for me. My spouse on the other hand has a well-paying job he doesn't want to leave. I started applying for jobs in a city two hours away and found that I was over run with future employers wanting interviews. I have landed a job which pays reasonably well and found an apartment. I am so torn about this as on one hand I don't want to leave him but on the other hand I feel the need to do this.

Katharine
Two hours away is really not that far. Could you live someplace in between and split the commute?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i did it in 1994 sept, we struggled for 3 years or i struggled. then came the divorce. humans are presbyops. at 450 miles we begin to see every little flaw that was invisible at 3 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues