Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times

Advertisements

My movers worked their a** off, they actually ran while carrying some of the stuff. Tipped them $30 each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
I moved 4 times in 6 years. I tipped $20.00 per guy when they worked hard, took a lunch according to the agreement, and were careful with my stuff. You can see if they are. For example the guy in charge directing the others to be careful, or how to load properly which is part of his job yada yada. I also offered to buy them their lunches which was really in my self interest so they'd eat at my house instead of going for food LOL. I never used packers but I would have tipped them too if I had. Of course I wasn't an annoying client either LOL I had my boxes labeled with HEAVY markings in different colors and the words "TOP" or FRAGILE or whatever.

BUT I was VERY PICKY about choosing a mover.

Even so, ONCE, the same company who was great moving me the first time was AWFUL the second time. The guy in charge of the paperwork didn't give me the papers FIRST and tried to slide it in at the end and have me sign something that was covered up with other papers.

NOW, I DID know the price in advance and had a written quote. BUT if I were the type of consumer who didn't or didn't know the "rules" until the move was OVER (like my goofy kid who got screwed once), it would have been a big thing.

THEN when I didn't tip and gave a negative survey online back to the company the lady called me to ARGUE about it.

LOL. I realized THAT'S because her parent company had gotten the survey. I thought she was a small independent mover but actually it's a "chain" or maybe a franchise.

MOVING IS FULL OF SCAMS AND PROBLEMS. You have to be very careful and RESEARCH or they can hold your stuff hostage until you pay and if you don't know you're being charged for last minute unagreed on stuff like BUBBLE WRAP your bill can be OUTRAGEOUS from the gypsy type movers.

Once I facilitated a 20,000 LB move across country for a client of mine. THOSE people were IMPECCABLE. OMG the packers were ripping the packing tape with their TEETH to go faster LOL. And they were WOMEN! I was freaking out "your TEETH!" and they just laughed. The client told me to add a $50.00 tip per packer and mover. Plus meals. The driver also arrived two days early and got another bonus from the owner when he arrived he was so grateful. This was about 4 years ago.

BTW that company had a centralized dispatcher who took care of EVERYTHING. In fact, the bill they presented when they arrived in advance was $2000 more than the agreed price and she straightened it out immediately with no drama or effort on my part. She followed that move so precisely from the first day to the last.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-25-2015 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 07:37 AM

I forgot to say...I tipped when they arrived at my NEW destination which was only 4 hours away for my OWN moves. but I tipped the HUGE move for my client across country when they left the old house because the crews are different.

So ASK that.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I don't understand when tipping every type of serviceperson imaginable became the norm, but it's irritating, confusing, and expensive. Why should movers get tipped? Because they moved your furniture without destroying it? That's their JOB, after all. Why do I tip my hairdresser? Because she cut my hair nicely instead of shearing it in a stupid style and making me look like a Poodle? That's her job too. And cab drivers? why do cab drivers get tipped? They drove me to my destination, which is performing their JOB. Shouldn't tips only be given when one goes above and beyond the call of duty and not just in the course of performing one's regular duties? I don't understand this.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
It depends on how careful they were and how much furniture they had to pack, as well as the difficulty of the move itself (lots of stairs, steep driveway, heavy stuff, etc) But, if they did a good job I would tip at least $20 per man and more if the move was especially hard.

Don

Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Make sure you check the fuel tanks on the truck before they weigh it. Some companies try to pad their costs by weighing the truck empty with low fuel tanks, then filling up the tanks before they weigh it with your stuff. Since the trucks have huge fuel tanks, it makes a big difference.
Those guys make more money than most of us so I feel no obligation to tip. My last two local moves, they jacked up their charges so much that when stood in front of me wanting more money I refused. They know how to hold your belongings hostage.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:11 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
My last move occurred during a horrible heat wave. It was pretty brutal. I tipped them $50 and supplied a case of ice cold beer at the end of the move.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:17 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand when tipping every type of serviceperson imaginable became the norm, but it's irritating, confusing, and expensive.
My grandfather owned a single truck moving van and on weekends I would get roped into working for him, I got paid by gramps and I was also tipped by the homeowner and this was back in the sixties. There are all kinds of ways to move folks without destroying their stuff. You can drop and run (well within the contract) or you can stand around and help the home owner figure out where they want stuff, and then move it again when they change their mind. You can take all day, while the homeowner sits there waiting for you so they can attend to the thousands of other things that they need to do, or you can bust hump and get the job done as fast as possible. You can be a grumpy a-hole (still within the contract) or you can be a pleasant person who demonstrates that you appreciate folks belongs and show real concern for getting their stuff move the best way possible. In short, giving service above and beyond what they are simply contracted to do.

Plus it's just a nice thing to do.

Quote:
I don't understand this.
I know you don't and I don't think that there is much that anyone can say that will help you to understand.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Well, if you are going to tip the movers, tip them before they load your stuff in the truck. That's just basic common sense. I mean, it's not like tipping cows.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Basically in the past and what I will do again in a few days, is put some sodas and bottled water in the frig's and tell them that they are for them.

I think it makes for a better move.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand when tipping every type of serviceperson imaginable became the norm, but it's irritating, confusing, and expensive.
Are you American? I don't mean that snarky.

The genesis of TIP is said to be: TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE. T I P. Or PROMPTNESS.

When actually it appears to be documented back to a London tavern.

The Big Apple: “To Insure Promptness” ("tip” false etymology)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues