Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:17 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times

Advertisements

... with cats!

This middle-aged female just completed a solo drive from New York City to Los Angeles! Well, not completely "solo," as my seven (7!!!) cats accompanied me in the cab of the truck. For those of you who've questioned how one moves that many animals at once, I have a visual aid:

Photo key:

#1 -- carrier with two complaining cats
#2 -- carrier with two noisy cats
#3 -- carrier with two talkative cats
#4 -- carrier with one cranky old cat
#5 -- cat food!
#6 -- cat litter, stored under my knees as there was (literally) no place else to put it in the cab

The travelling litter box was stashed behind my seat, and my suitcase was crammed into the teeny-tiny space between carrier #3 and the dashboard.

It was, to say the least, an adventure .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 PM

515 posts, read 2,324,488 times
OMG! Did you stay at hotels along the way, I assume? That just sounds nuts. I'm dreading driving 2 cats NJ-UT, but they'll have the whole back seat of the Jetta in a large carrier. One will complain, but the other will probably just sleep. Plus I got some kitty tranquilizers from the vet, Also, fortunately I have someone driving with me, so pit stops will be possible. How did you deal with that, as they can't be left in the car in the summer, even for a few minutes?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
OMG! Did you stay at hotels along the way, I assume?
I did, and was fortunate enough to have ground floor rooms each night. I also took a folding suitcase roller thingie along (it was tucked under the passenger seat) so that if the hotel didn't have a luggage cart, I was still able to roll the carriers into the room.

Quote:
That just sounds nuts.
It was. (LOL)

Quote:
I'm dreading driving 2 cats NJ-UT, but they'll have the whole back seat of the Jetta in a large carrier. One will complain, but the other will probably just sleep. Plus I got some kitty tranquilizers from the vet, Also, fortunately I have someone driving with me, so pit stops will be possible. How did you deal with that, as they can't be left in the car in the summer, even for a few minutes?
I'm pretty lucky in that I don't need too many pit stops. On the few occasions I did stop, I tried to park in the shade. If that wasn't possible, then I opened the windows enough to let air in -- and then literally ran to/from the restroom.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,943 times
*Standing Ovation*

I applaud you. I really do. I'm gonna BE you in a few months. 'Cept i'm going from Tn to NM and will have the six cats and the dog AND the kids in the Expedition, whilest towing an open trailer with small equipment AND following my husband who will have the 24 ft stock trailer with six horses inside.

Stressful, no?

I think i'll get a couple of big dog crates and group them that way....

Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
I think i'll get a couple of big dog crates and group them that way....
The kids, or the dogs???

(LOL)

Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,943 times
Depends.... on how well they get along for the trip :-) The 15 year old might be a bit of a struggle to crate, lol

Old 08-19-2008, 01:09 AM

515 posts, read 2,324,488 times
OK, survived the 3 day drive with the 2 cats (in a large dog carrier), and my boyfriend doing most of the driving. And it was still a nightmare! Long days, late arrivals at the hotels, getting the kitties fed, watered & litter-boxed, and then starting over the next day. The kitty tranquilizers helped immensely - they slept most of the drive. I also found they did better when give a small amount of dry food & water in the AM, although I have heard not to do this. The day I didn't they were noisy and upset from being so hungry.

All I can say is, never again.
You are amazing, squeezeboxgal!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
Sounds like a hand full of Xanax and bottle of Jack Daniels... I have one cat and trying to figure out how to move from FL -TN 700 miles...... I can only imagine NY to Cal....

Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,076,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Sounds like a hand full of Xanax and bottle of Jack Daniels... I have one cat and trying to figure out how to move from FL -TN 700 miles...... I can only imagine NY to Cal....
Tinman, not a problem. Moved my kids up in a carrier. One was quiet and never said a word, the one I had meowed all the way and almost lost her voice....

Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 AM

289 posts, read 570,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
My thought exactly. You defiently get my congratulations & amazement. I am moving next July to Daytona Beach FL from Lexington TN & will be going with my cat & pitbull. And I have 2 additional cats that may or may not be going. If my mom moves with me then her cat will go, so it will be 4 cats & my dog.

And I have a 05 Mustang. Luckly my uncle has a F250 & a large enclosed car hauling trailer. He doesn't know it yet but he will be helping me move & will be taking the dog with him . The cats however, I haven't figured out yet. My inside cat will be in the Mustang. If the other 3 go, they will each need seperate carriers & will probably ride with my uncle as well, as 2 of them have never seen a carrier, much less been in one & the 3rd cat hates the carrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues