Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 14,584 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I currently live in wilkes barre pa. Nd I'm tryin to move to NC. The onli thing is I've never moved out of state b4 nd have no idea where to start. I have no family nor friends in the area. So I'm at a disavantage right there.
The plan started off moving wit my bf. He has family in NC nd he has lived there b4 nd knows the area pretty good. But I am no longer wit him nd I still want to move out thr. I started lookin up appartments that go by ur income. But inorder to move in u have to have a job out there. Nd they don't go by money in savings accounts. I work as a dietary
Aid . Nd was hoping that I cud find a job in the area like that. But I heard that u have to have a local address or they will give u a hard time.. my back is against the wall nd I realli need a push in the right direction. Ur advice wud be greatful thank u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Where in NC are you wanting to move as that will make a difference and if you know that, you can look for a job online. It helps to already be living in an area but if the job is hard to fill from the local area, they will look at others. You'll need to look at what wages are paid and the cost of living for the area which can be done online, start with the main page of city-data, go to the bottom of the page click on NC and then search for the city you are interested in to get some local info and also, if you haven't tried the NC part of the forum, you can do that. I have no idea what "nd" means so part of the post was lost to me. Also, when you say "apartments based on your income" are you talking about public housing or some other housing?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 18,254 times
I am looking to move to Matthews NC and really dont know how to start the process in moving out of my current state, could really use some advice? I have children and i want to make sure the schools are good and have diversity.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
It really depends on how much you have saved up and where you are moving. Is this rural North Carolina? Or a major city? Unless you have a very large sum of money saved up, I wouldn't worry about renting an apartment as soon as you arrive. Reason being is, to convince an apartment complex manager to rent to you without a job, you'll have to put several months rent with a deposit. If moving to a large enough city and alone, look for places that have a room to rent. This is tricky because you have to watch out for scams and untrustworthy people. What are the temporary housing options for that city? You can check places like roommates.com or craigslist for sublets or rooms for rent. Do they have hostels as a back up in case you need to stay somewhere for a night or 2? Do they have long term hotels/suites? InTown Suites is an example of a place that charges a weekly fee with units that have the anemities that you'd find in an apartment. These usually run just a little more in cost than a small apartments in most cities if you total the cost for an entire month. As soon as you arrive you need to be job hunting asap. If your career is the typcial 8-5 mon/fri work, then while looking for those jobs, also look for something to work at night and weekends part time. The logic being, PT jobs are usually easier to get. You snag a job waiting tables for example, you'll at least have some income while trying to find FT work. This will stop some of the bleeding your savings account will incur. However, you'll want ot make sure that you only work nights and weekends if possible. Once you snag a full time job, then you can begin your apartment / long term housing search.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 15,936 times
Hi there I want to move out of my current state to minisota but my main problem is I do not know where to start from and don't knw any one in minisota either don't knw any where in minisota how to get a job apartment and some other things.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 16,240 times
What made you pick Minnesota? What state are you currently living in? I would definitely visit first and look around. What I have been doing is a lot of online research as well as visiting the place I want to relocate to.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 15,936 times
I just love to live there and am currently in Texas.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:06 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,171 times
Good God!!!!!! Is this thread even for real????

Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readitolearn View Post
Hello everyone. I currently live in wilkes barre pa. Nd I'm tryin to move to NC. The onli thing is I've never moved out of state b4 nd have no idea where to start. I have no family nor friends in the area. So I'm at a disavantage right there.
The plan started off moving wit my bf. He has family in NC nd he has lived there b4 nd knows the area pretty good. But I am no longer wit him nd I still want to move out thr. I started lookin up appartments that go by ur income. But inorder to move in u have to have a job out there. Nd they don't go by money in savings accounts. I work as a dietary
Aid . Nd was hoping that I cud find a job in the area like that. But I heard that u have to have a local address or they will give u a hard time.. my back is against the wall nd I realli need a push in the right direction. Ur advice wud be greatful thank u
First have a job lined up or likely face misery .Any place is bad if your a stranger and no money.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:59 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
Love: True story: I know a Texan who got tired of,the heat in Dallas, sold his home and moved to the UP of Michigan. Very similar climate to Minnesota. Moved in the spring to his new home. Summer was nice, fall was beautiful....until November. By February and several feet of snow and OMG heating bills, he put his new home on the market.

Honestly, there is a reason there is an outflow of population from Minnesoa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues