Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:20 AM

55 posts, read 138,255 times

Advertisements

Thank you

one thing I found distrubing. I loaded the car on the trailer, the guy at Penske told me "NEVER have a car on the trailer when it's not hooked up to the truck, it will fall backwards and you'll never get the tongue down again".

So that means there's ALWAYS upward pressure on the tow hitch. Call me crazy but that just doesn't sound good. trailers are meant to rest on the ball.

Am I missing something?

one other thing. Someone needs to invent a way to put a strap on the loading ramp like a running machine. Kind of like they have loading luggage at the airport. it would save my legs SO much work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 10:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,844,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
I think I would go bananas. but maybe it's different when it's not just 'because' but there's an end goal. So that would probably help.

And yes, there's always a better and worse, that's a really good point. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I am a bit organized, but i feel horribly scattered. i think it's because I like things 'in their place', and even though the boxes are, they aren't put away or organized. it's hard to explain but it's really bugging me.

Thankfully I get my truck tomorrow, two days before the loaders get here, but i bet I get 75% of the truck loaded before they even get here because i can't wait to get things out of the living room lol

I'm very thankful i get the truck 2 days early rather than have it 2 days longer. when i get there, they'll unload. even if they just stuck everything in the garage i still wouldn't need the truck anymore, so this seems to be the best way

I'm like you in the fact that I like everything in it's place and a place for everything. We actually lived for years in a construction zone. It taught me patience to say the least. Take a chill pill, relax, and go with the flow. You sound highly organized and there is no need to let it upset you. A couple of glasses of a good wine at the end of the day may help as well It will all be over soon. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:13 PM

17,706 posts, read 13,525,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
I know it's inevitable, but this is killing me
Chair, TV What else do you need? Chill out a little

Old 09-26-2016, 04:17 PM

50,487 posts, read 64,372,970 times
Does anyone else feel a disconnect between anal and cleanliness?

I would have gone with tidiness vs. anal.

Anyway, arrange your boxes in an uber orderly manner and you'll be fine.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:34 AM

oh my goodness. I’ve done a lot of things in my life, moving across the country with 3 cats, 2 of which hate each other, now tops the charts as my least favorite activity.

regarding tipping, well, i blew anything i discussed here. I tipped the guys $30 each ($60 total). Why? they arrived on time, but i was late having the truck in place. they said to take my time, they weren't starting the clock.

i had a 26-foot truck, filled to the doors (I thought i had way too big a truck.... nope).

The first thing that struck me was I had concern they'd try to milk the clock. that concern left immediately. these guys were brothers. and it was like they were racing. Not when bringing boxes in, but they RAN back to the truck each load. I've never seen anything like it.

The one thing i know without question is that they are pros. the way they could make corners with things like my bow front desk just blew me away. they didn't bump a single wall a single time, and one of them offered to help me put my desk back together. (i have a large u-shaped desk that worried me because it was like a jigsaw puzzle disassembling it, i didn't think i'd be able to get it back together). I said that was 'ok' and went back to watch more...

i came back in about 10 minutes later and he had most of it in place. he asked me to help him, that's when he told me he owns a small business that does furniture assembly just like that. he immediately knew where everything went. within a few minutes it was done. blew me away. he didn't charge for that.

they emptied the truck, put everything in the rooms i specified. now i will admit they missed some targets but i had two lables very close to each other. 'jean's office' and 'john's office'. as fast as they were going it's no shock, but it's also no big deal.

they had the truck emptied, everything in it's place, loaded up the blankets and closed the truck door in under 1.5 hours including the desk.

they were exceptionally nice as well. i got VERY lucky. I'd like to mention the company since it went so well. ALthough i don't remember the kid's names.

I don't know if it's against the rules to do this, so if a mod edits my post i understand. I just want to take every opportunity i can to praise them:

Movelogix LLC
RONNY GONZALEZ
Phone: (480) 659-5411
Cell: (480) 329-6683
Email: rong922@aol.com

as for the appointment. Randy (he's the owner, and i think his name is wrong on the site info above but that's what it said) called me two days before the meeting, he called again 1 day before, then called about 6 hours before the meeting time. He made nice small talk asking where i was driving from, where I was at since he's traveled the route and warned me about a section with a steep grade (though I've driven the route before so i knew that).

I can't say enough good things about them. The one thing I will say and only negative, is Randy doesn’t seem to read his emails. but he answers when you call.

It's a shame to use the place I did (hire a helper) because i'm sure they take a big cut but i didn't know anyone. The last thing I'll say about the movers is the price. it was $190 for 2 helpers or 2 hours. In Arkansas they wanted $325 for 2 helpers for 2 hours. I ended up hiring some guys on my street for $180 to do the whole thing. Granted it took them about 4 hours, but they said they'd stay all day if needed.

Amazingly not a single item got scratched or damaged, and I'm lucky, they truck box had a leak in the front right cap on top, and even in the morning condensation it dripped. I didn't have time to replace the truck, so i wrapped the items put there disgustingly heavy with stretch wrap, and put extra blankets around them. But since it didn't rain it wasn't a problem.

Now, that's the good news, now the yuck news.... the drive and the timing.

i also got lucky since i was planning on going alone; but my business partner called and said he'd come down (2 hours away) and make the drive with me if I’d just buy his plane ticket home. which of course i did.... whew

To avoid traffic going from Arkansas to Fort Smith (this is to get to the 45, it's a two lane highway getting there) i had to drive 3 hours. I left at 4:00am so to avoid traffic and boy am i glad i did. the roads are very windy, and even though my truck had only 20,000 miles it had ENORMOUS play in the wheel. I’ve driving these trucks before, this one was bad.

The timing also allowed me to hit Flagstaff in the wee hours. this is important because if you've ever driven from flag to phx there are 2 sets of steep grades. one is 18 miles long, and the other is about 12. Now, 6% doesn't sound like a lot, but you load up a 26-foot truck, pulling a full sized trailer with a car on it, and it aint easy to stop. Thankfully since I’ve driven these and this route I knew to gear down and stay under 50 to keep the brakes cool. no prob.

the cats on the other hand did not care for this trip. all 3 are indoor cats that do not go outside. they're all 8 years old, two are brother/sister, one was an abandoned stray i took in. The brother/sister have never been outside at any time. just seeing outside scared them.

I opted not to drug them, i just couldn't do it. i have a really big male cat. he's 21 pounds of sheer hate when he’s mad. he cut my hand up very badly putting him in the crate. i don't know why, he’s gone in them many times when i take him to the vet (well ok he's been outside technically, but never on the ground). but it became immediately apparent, i was not going to be able to stop along the way and let them out because I don’t know that i could have gotten them back in.

this brings up a second issue. this drive is 19 hours if you go straight through. but i can't. i have a cat that has diabetes (the big one). he requires a pill every 12 hours and a shot of insulin at the same time. this means he must eat first. I brought a can of tuna in water to entice him. i fed all 3 every 5 hours and gave them water. the other two declined food and water completely. Wilbur ate and drank everything. i was so lucky.

but with all the stops, it took us 26 hours to get here. We drove straight through, no hotel, no breaks except to stretch when getting fuel.

Here's the kicker. We managed to arrive at 6:00am. guess what time the movers were coming? 6:30. lol. also, even though I let the movers unload, i was running around frantically verifying things, checking for damage etc. so we drove straight through, then i spent 4 hours moving things and arranging before getting to finally put my bed together and sleep. it was not fun.

also, since i had to cram the square cats into the round carriers, the 6 each puppy pads I put in to keep them from peeing on the carriers got smashed up to the end on every single one. so they were useless. anyone else trying this, i recommend taping the ends down before smashing your cat into the carrier.

THAT WAS A VERY VERY LONG TRIP

side note. i got lucky on fuel too. sadly, the truck only had a 50-gallon tank. fuel was 2.44 almost everywhere we looked, but i managed to pay 2.09 first stop, 2.19 second then 2.29 third and to refill before return it was 2.29. whew!

Penske stinks on their logistics. check this out.....

the truck return was set for Oct 2, 8am. under the location it said "no afterhours drop-off". so I was stuck, i figured i'd go the next morning because we arrived on Sunday and they were closed.

I decided to call an hour later at 9 and the lady was worried they'd charge me for being late. They gave me an alternate drop-off location and she said 'I’m Vikki and I’m noting your account to they don't charge you).

i get there..... there's no note. they want to charge me $125 extra for missing my drop-off.... 2 hours... and it was THEIR fault. jerks. thankfully the guy at Home Depot was really nice and called them and talked them into removing the fee.

so in the grand scheme of things, I got every break i could have ever hoped for, and had no surprises along the way other than the cats not being, happy, but i will also say, 3 carriers and two people do NOT fit in the cab of a truck. we had a cheek hanging off the right side on the passenger seat because the driver had to fit right. it was TIGHT.

Last edited by story97; 10-03-2016 at 02:56 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 08:53 AM

764 posts, read 1,426,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We moved to Maine after retiring, 3 years ago. The wife went to HD and bought these plastic totes on sale, for $2-3 each. They stack well, so she just loaded up the SUV with probably 50 of them.

The packed things made it through the move just fine -- including a dozen or so I brought up in my pickup bed in the rain. Nothing got wet.

Then we bought a vacation place in TN...just took out some of the stacked totes from the pole barn, and packed 'em up. We used them to help my brother move last year, also.

We'll never go back to using cardoard boxes again! These things are waterproof, stackable, reusable, and if they get dirty, just hose 'em out! At sale prices, they are very competitive with cardboard, which doesn't even compare.
That's a wonderful idea about using the plastic totes to move! Thanks for that!

Old 10-04-2016, 11:26 AM

838 posts, read 558,630 times
Are you single? Are you a man? If you answered Yes to both questions, let’s get married. Or we can shack up if you prefer. With your 3 cats and my 2 cats and our mutual love for clean, neat and orderly, we can become the Story Bunch.

I recently moved out of a home I have lived in for 15 years. Boxes were everywhere and I was living with one plate, one bowl, one fork, one knife and one spoon for a couple weeks. My OCD wouldn’t let me wait to the last minute to pack but my OCD made it very difficult to deal with the rooms filled with boxes. For my own sanity I had to keep one room of my house (bedroom) looking exactly the same until a day or two before moving. I almost lost my $hit when the elliptical was moved into the kitchen.

To make matters worse, I had to be out of that house as I had tenants moving in Sept 30 but my new home build completion date got pushed to early November. So for a few weeks I am living in my friends father-in-law’s empty, but furnished, home. He’s hangs out in another country for most of the year. His wife died a couple years ago and he spends a lot of time in the Philippines. But that’s another story.

The house is old and creaky and has an old person moth ball smell. My poor cats are constantly fighting off dust bunnies from their whiskers every time they venture under a piece of furniture. And did I mention dude and dearly departed wife are hoarders of knickknacks? I had to bubble wrap built in shelves that display hundreds of various specimens so the kitties wouldn’t attack the miniature gnomes or the antique Smurf collection. These people never met a yard sale they didn’t like. I spent 5 hours cleaning the 3 rooms I plan on using. I’m still using my one plate, bowl, fork, knife and spoon as I shiver thinking about using what is there. Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful to have a temp place to go, but gawd….

My cats don’t care. Gracie just perches herself on top of the neatly stacked boxes in the living room I don’t use and Bolo doesn’t understand why anyone would buy a purple headboard for a platform bed. That's him below huddled in the headboard cubby in an effort to avoid the dust moving across the floor like tumbleweeds.

Enough about me. I'm glad your move went well and nothing broke. Your packing and organization skills are super impressive! Such a turn on. LOL

Last edited by ShanIAmVA; 10-04-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 11:53 AM

lol you might not think it's such a turn on when i'm like that ALL the time

I can imagine your poor cats hated moving around. Mine are such creatures of habit they hate change. most cats do. I think cats brought in that were strays are better because they're familiar with bouncing around, but two of my cats I raised since they were two days old:
Wilbur drinking from bottle and you can barely see tinker on the bottom. she had just finished.

This is them now, 8 years later

Wilbur (he's fuzzy not fat)

Tinker:

Those two have never been outside except a 3 day period I was trying to harness train them, but they'd flop over like a dead fish when i put them on the ground.

It was killing me though, putting them in the carrier when i first started out they cried and it made me feel terrible. then Wilbur cried non-stop for the final 5 hours of the trip. I felt like I was abusing him. lol

Regarding the move, I went overboard labeling and i'm VERY glad I did so. putting the qcode labels on saved me a ton of time. I could scan it and see exactly what was in those boxes (only did that for boxes with mixed items, or a LOT of things for one room).

Honestly it could have blown up in so many ways it's scary. but in the grand scheme of things it was so non-eventful I keep 'waiting for the other shoe to drop'

Old 10-04-2016, 01:14 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,988,092 times
I am so very glad it all worked out in the end. It sounds as though, while I am sure it could have been worse, it was a very long hard trip.

I too am impressed with your organizational skills and apparently endless energy. I would not want to marry you (and I am sure that would be a mutual thing) but could you deek on over to my place and do for me what you did for yourself please?

Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 PM

hah. Sure!

There's really more to the story, i'll briefly explain why this was so hard on me

I moved to the old location in 2002, originally for a couple weeks to help take care of my mother who had a benign tumor removed from her brain. I hadn't seen her in 15 years.

When I got here during my stay my sister found out she had cervical cancer. She passed away a year or so later. That scared my mother so when i mentioned leaving to get back to my life i could see her panic. I assured her then i'd stick with her....

Well, 14 years later (now) her eyes are about shot so I decided to get her back here where ffamily was.

The problem is that i got very depressed during this time. felt like my life was over blah blah. I ddin't mind taking care of mom but i didn't have a life. I ended up getting so depressed i didn't leave the house.... this went on for 10 years. I lost all my muscle mass and even vacuuming tired me out (i'm only 50). So imagine being so sedentary you NEVEr leave except to go to buy food. Suddenly you have to pack everything your family owns, load a truck and go.

So it was much MUCH harder than anyone knows. So bad so I got so tired loading up i couldn't cool down. I had to sit for 4 hours with an ice pack on. Then did it again the next day.... exhausted to the point i couldn't move.....

then I loaded my cats and drove that drive, then unloaded haha. i thought I was going to die.

Thankfully this move has given me my life force back and I'm happy again. Since i moved my mother into a house across the street from her sister, I don't need to take care of her anymore and I can go find my own home.

Thankfully I work from home and do well there so financials are OK. not great, but good enough.....

so yes, this was harder than anyone can probably understand. During the drive my body was so worn out getting out of the truck, walking into a c-store to get a drink and coming back to the truck would overheat me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues