Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 03:23 PM

174 posts, read 258,115 times

Advertisements

Story97, you are an inspiration to those of us who are "older" and will be moving to a new location. And driving a truck? Wow, you are amazing! We will be moving within the next 4 months and I'm not looking forward to the packing/unpacking and all the logistics that go with moving several hundred miles. I, too am super organized. Haven't moved in over 23 years. Last time I did pretty well with the organizing and packing. This time I hope to improve on the system and color code all the boxes with different color duct tape for each of the different rooms and then I will keep a master list of what's in each box. Being a senior, it is a bit tiring to pack and haul boxes from one room to another, or from upstairs to downstairs. However, I can probably use the exercise so I don't plan on complaining about it. It's cheaper than a gym membership. Congratulations on a job well done and good luck in your new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 04:38 PM

55 posts, read 137,734 times
Well thank you sir. But honestly? i would tell you if you can swing it, pay a couple hundred and have guys come in to load you.

You still pack your boxes, but leave them in the rooms. My work moving things into the living room was really wasted. they could just as easily have walked in and got them.

I'd also recommend hiring them to unload you.

What blew me was me spending unwise money. For instance, before i decided to hire loaders, I thought i'd be doing it with another person. I bought some new gloves, those silly looking straps (forearm forklift) a 4 set of tie down straps (with wenched handles), a pack of micro fiber towels (just in case), 300 feet of twine (recommended by hire a helper) and other items like that. all of which still sit in the boxes, not being used. I even used this event as an excuse to buy this for $80

I didn't need it, but sure can use it now

if you skip all those incidentals you'd normally get (also things like sandwiches and drinks for your helpers) you can pay almost half the mover fees, and the ones I get didn't even want a drink of water. They said they unload 3 to 4 trucks per day and that's why they hussle. the faster they work the more then can collect. Tips are gravy but their work is how many they can unload. this REALLY helps you, the consumer. like I said, a 26 foot truck full to the back door, and they unloaded it and put the boxes in the right rooms, as well as put the furniture where I asked, all in less than an hour and a half. it blew my mind.

The problem with us (over 50) is we could very easily hurt ourselves trying to do too much when it's a few hundred to not worry about it.

If I move again like this, i will probably go even further and hire the companies that come in and wrap your stuff. so you never lift a finger, including packing. it's much more expensive but saves 100% of the stress, and your items never have to be touched before they get there.

the one mistake i made was buying all those things we didn't need. I originally budgeted $5000 for the move including the truck and fuel. I was WAY under that.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:28 PM

530 posts, read 667,971 times
If you consider that the walls, floor and ceilings will be here long after all of us are gone, perhaps you would put down that duster and enjoy a sunset or two along the way. I am not making light of comfort zones but my MIL spent the majority of her life cleaning her house withe a vengeance and now that she is beyond all rational thought on this planet, the floors may not be in tip top shape and all that really counts is that we visit and spend the time with her she should have spent with her kids when she was in her right mind and capable of rational thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues