Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:52 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times

Advertisements

Go home. Your previous opinion of your parents and grandparents seems to have moderated. Or transferred to your uncle. It's important that you recognize that ... at least some of this trouble is coming from YOU yourself. You've said your stepfather is willing to come pick you up. That's worth a lot.

As others have said, straighten up and fly right ... do the best job you can to get along. Be helpful around the house. Don't lay around. Make a commitment to do your best to control your temper. Your goal is to have a roof over your head for awhile. Don't keep churning your past grievances. It's not helping you.

Write out a short list of your most pressing goals (and be realistic – no "I want to be a youtube star") and post it where you can see it every day – then start to work it. Get out of your bedroom. Get off the computer. As far as online apps, you may need to apply more than once. Many are never seen. In fact, I'm a little surprised you even got any rejections as a common complaint is that applications seem to go into a black hole and an applicant never hears anything. As I suggested before, even in the big city, there will be places that don't use electronic applications. You need to get out and hustle. Even if you're putting in an electronic application, try to talk to a general manager and sell yourself. You need to pull out all the stops. You're more employable now than you will be when you wake up and you're 25 and still haven't had a job.

Go see someone who can help craft a resume. Yes, your experience is lean but they can be masters of whipping up some chicken salad out of chicken $***. If you get an offer and it's legal and someone will pay you, take it. No complaining that it's "only x dollars an hour." You need a start and you need some real experience.

You are going to find many jobs require a driver's license. You are doing yourself a disservice to not learn to drive. You can get over that phobia.

You can read, write, and your comprehension is pretty good. You can spell and your grammar is decent. You have that going for you over many, many young people out there today. Find a way to make that work for you. Do some reading about interviewing and acceptable social interaction and, yes, good manners. Since you're going back to Texas, contact the Texas Workforce Commission and their job site workintexas.com. See what kind of programs they may have to assist you in becoming employed.

What area are you going to?

Which brings me to my last point: Even when you get a job, you need mental health care. If you can start before you get a job, all the better. You're going to have to get over the fear that your family or others will make fun of you or whatever – YOU NEED IT. And it will help you in how to respond to them. What's afflicting you is not just going away with employment. Triggers will not stop, that's part of life. You need coping skills and probably medication. Make a commitment to accepting some real help; not manically throwing this stuff out into cyberspace to people who can only suggestions based on what you have said. When you're stabilized, you can think about education opportunities, etc.

Get on it. Call home and arrange that ride. It's time to stop prevaricating and diddling around. Clock is ticking. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 06:55 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
I just talked to my mom on the phone for over an hour, I'm going home. There's much more there, and problems in this house are not there. Spoke to my grandmother too, and step dad, it was 3-4 lines at once, that's cool, however that works.

I should be able to get a job in some fast food or retail, I feel like Walmart or another grocery store would be pretty low stress and simple...

It's a new year's, time to make a major change, that will last a lifetime.
Good for you.

Just one caveat: Don't expect "pretty low stress and simple." All jobs have stress. Just expect to go in and make the best of whatever it is and start your life.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:55 PM

242 posts, read 158,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Sounds like a great start!
Thank You

The only time I've lived in a city (more like stayed) was when I had no one to take me in and just had enough money for a cheap motel in the ghetto. This is the first time in my life I have a stable home in an uban place. Many jobs AND a stable home at the same time, first time I have that. I HATE the ghetto, damn black territory hating us white people. SIR! I NEED SOME DRUG MONEY! PLEASE OPEN THE DOOR! I could have died there, not from the lady asking for drug money (well it's possible) but from others, I'm specifically talking about the guy who threatened to beat my butt if I didn't give him money. I made it out unharmed without giving him money. The only people who got money out of me were the ones who stole it behind my back with no way to prove if they were lying or not. I was manipulated out of money too... A guy being manipulated out of money from an older woman (never any sex, she was nasty anyway) in front of people! Emasculated in public

I must get on the right track now, I must make a good plan and stick with it, even if my mind changes, once a good routine gets going it'll become autopilot.

I just have to get going again (actively applying and pursuing employment) and my mindset will change to just do it, and I'll even feel happiness regardless of the job, I'll be productive. I can never get all the time without productivity back, but I can have more productive time than I did before.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:01 PM

242 posts, read 158,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Go home. Your previous opinion of your parents and grandparents seems to have moderated. Or transferred to your uncle. It's important that you recognize that ... at least some of this trouble is coming from YOU yourself. You've said your stepfather is willing to come pick you up. That's worth a lot.

As others have said, straighten up and fly right ... do the best job you can to get along. Be helpful around the house. Don't lay around. Make a commitment to do your best to control your temper. Your goal is to have a roof over your head for awhile. Don't keep churning your past grievances. It's not helping you.

Write out a short list of your most pressing goals (and be realistic – no "I want to be a youtube star") and post it where you can see it every day – then start to work it. Get out of your bedroom. Get off the computer. As far as online apps, you may need to apply more than once. Many are never seen. In fact, I'm a little surprised you even got any rejections as a common complaint is that applications seem to go into a black hole and an applicant never hears anything. As I suggested before, even in the big city, there will be places that don't use electronic applications. You need to get out and hustle. Even if you're putting in an electronic application, try to talk to a general manager and sell yourself. You need to pull out all the stops. You're more employable now than you will be when you wake up and you're 25 and still haven't had a job.

Go see someone who can help craft a resume. Yes, your experience is lean but they can be masters of whipping up some chicken salad out of chicken $***. If you get an offer and it's legal and someone will pay you, take it. No complaining that it's "only x dollars an hour." You need a start and you need some real experience.

You are going to find many jobs require a driver's license. You are doing yourself a disservice to not learn to drive. You can get over that phobia.

You can read, write, and your comprehension is pretty good. You can spell and your grammar is decent. You have that going for you over many, many young people out there today. Find a way to make that work for you. Do some reading about interviewing and acceptable social interaction and, yes, good manners. Since you're going back to Texas, contact the Texas Workforce Commission and their job site workintexas.com. See what kind of programs they may have to assist you in becoming employed.

What area are you going to?

Which brings me to my last point: Even when you get a job, you need mental health care. If you can start before you get a job, all the better. You're going to have to get over the fear that your family or others will make fun of you or whatever – YOU NEED IT. And it will help you in how to respond to them. What's afflicting you is not just going away with employment. Triggers will not stop, that's part of life. You need coping skills and probably medication. Make a commitment to accepting some real help; not manically throwing this stuff out into cyberspace to people who can only suggestions based on what you have said. When you're stabilized, you can think about education opportunities, etc.

Get on it. Call home and arrange that ride. It's time to stop prevaricating and diddling around. Clock is ticking. Good luck.
He's going to get me maybe within a few days, he said if he can't he'll send me money for a bus or plane.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:43 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm kind of surprised, I think you actually understand me the most, as if you're my stalker. I don't even care if I am being stalked right now, it means someone is actually interested in me and paying attention to me, if you are stalking me come knock on the door, say you're a friend of mine and want to say hi

It's weird, it's like you really have been watching me.

I am ready to just leave immediately. I even looked up how to live on the streets, how to be a hobo, and how to panhandle. These 2 boys were offered an actual job by this guy, but turned around laughing and walked away. Then he made his own sign saying he offered them a job and they refused it, so people shouldn't give them money. I would have asked the guy if he was poking fun at a homeless person, then when he confirmed he's serious I would have immediately said let's go to work. Panhandlers don't make much more than I could survey taking and picking up cans and bottles.

I don't feel I can get mental help here or at home. I also feel the need to leave here ASAP, before my uncle crosses a line, and makes one of us end up in handcuffs in the back of a cop car.

I actually thought about just saying "It's too late to go to college this semester, I'm going to go home to look for a job", but I'm scared and nervous of going home too, as I'll be going to another set of triggers.

Yeah, maybe I did jump from the frying pan into the fire, but I sat in that firing pan for a matter of years, it was becoming unbearable. But now I seem to going deeper and deeper into the fire.
Ha; thats funny! Don't worry; I'm not a stalker; I'm just a mom in Colorado with 11 kids, ages 13 to 31. And I have an atypical brain too. But thats a very long story.

I'm worried because when I first started seeing your posts you seemed like you were trying very hard to figure out some cool options for yourself. I know how hard you were trying. I could feel it.

Maybe a week or two ago, something changed. You were still trying very hard but I felt like you were afraid. Anger too, of course but the fear was so ... consistent.

When I realized where you actually were, as in your geographical location; I actually felt afraid FOR you. I'm sure that for people who "come from" that area it's a good place to call home. But if your not from there; you start to get the feeling that it doesn't want you there either. But at the same time it won't let you leave. It's hard to put into words. But I think you understand what I mean.

Then you have the Angry Uncle & there is almost zero that you can do about him. I'm not sure if you could make him happy if you tried. There might be a sort of "primal" issue going on; you are a 21 year old male. And he, well; he's ... not.

But my biggest concern for you, at this point has nothing to do with that town or your family.

It's that big chunk of the west coast that runs from SF south to SD. And it's not that you MIGHT wind up there.

What bothers me is that you will go there out of desperation. That won't work. You have waited 21 years to live life; you deserve better than to die trying.

Make sure you have a plan to take care of your mental health needs. Know "who, what, where & when" is available. Schedule your first appointment & then leave. Don't leave out of desperation, only to get there & find out the earliest available for new patients isn't for another 4 months.

Because out there; you will be one OF a million vs one IN a million & you could lose your way.

After thats taken care of; I think you have what it takes. I think you will do fine.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:40 AM

4,862 posts, read 2,673,519 times
you talk too much..

toughen up and get your chit together..

go back home and take ANY job you can get...right away if not sooner..

you're a grown man now..fake it until ya make it..get on it now..

Old 01-07-2017, 07:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
I feel like I'd do better in a trade school than regular school. Could I be a plumber who doesn't drive? That seems like a job I might enjoy, and you name your price, one guy made $120 for a 5 minute job! Or maybe someone who answers phones in an office (one white collar job that doesn't require college, the job they do on the show Workaholics, they're actually Telemarketers).

I could maybe be/do:
Plumber
Telemarketer (but most people just hang up on all of them)
Retail (just have to be hired, this one seems pretty low stress and simple)
If I could drive I might be interested in becoming a police officer, that career is an adventure and you get to bring justice to criminals. You can even use extra force if someone is nasty to you and get away with it. I'd have power, I'd have control, I'd have authority.

As long as I don't get in any legal trouble I'll have no legal barriers to becoming a P.O., I'd just have to conquer the driving, and then P.O. style driving, it may not be a good idea for me to have access to a gun... But maybe I could get all my demons excorcised (not literally like spirits) and be in good health for it.

Bullies create monsters. All those kids who shoot up schools, the bullies pushed them to it. I remember someone saying "Man, ya'll bully that boy too much, he's gonna come to school and shoot everyone". I never did that, and I don't want to get to that point. I don't want to be a bad person. I want to be a good person.
If you are under the age of 25....Contact Job Corps you could get training and a certificate in many different fields. It would give you housing as well as food and you would live in a safe environment. Here is a link Welcome to Job Corps

If you are being physically mistreated by the "man" that you keep mentioning....Find the nearest Domestic Violence Agency....They will help you. This is specifically Tehachapi links for help. Best Domestic Violence Centers in Tehachapi, California with Reviews - YellowPages.com

I do not think that you should just hop on a bus.....It would leave you homeless, and you have no guarantees that a 12 hour bus ride will get you to a specific homeless agency...and you would not have your food stamps, or any of the other services that you currently have.

IMO you would be much worse off then you are now. Now at least you have food and shelter....and if you need safe shelter, there are agencies there in Tehachapi that can help you.

I think that you should contact the links above.

I think that you need to think out a good safe plan....And seriously, start with the help to keep you safe first from domestic violence link is above...If you are being hurt by your uncle or a family member....the Domestic violence agency can help get you safe shelter, and also can provide counseling and groups to help you get yourself back on track.

You may be suffering mentally from living in fear for your safety....Those people at agencies that provide help to people like you know what they are doing. They also know how to get you connected with other agencies that can help you get your life on track.

You can explore the job corps link for options that will provide free education for you....and often a job right away after you complete your education.

I saw that you mentioned having been bullied...here are some links that may help you immediately too
Teen Health and Wellness

And, this is a national link to help folks in their specific area....any where in the U.S. you simply dial 211 from a cell or landline your area code determines what agency answers the call, so for you if your phone area code is different then the local area code, use a landline.

It is manned 24/7 and all you do is tell them what you need help with. The volunteers are trained to look up agencies and help get you connected with the agency that can help you. It is meant for anyone that is at a loss for where to start to meet their needs be it mental, physical, legal or whatever. It is very helpful. You can call anytime day or night, and as many times as you need and ask questions get contact information, referrals...it would give you some local information for the issues you are dealing with. 2-1-1.org

Since you feel like your mind is processing things differently, and you have expressed some issues about your mental health/needs/meds etc. This is a wonderful organization with a national helpline just for folks experiencing the many issues that can come up in life. National Organization Helpline for Mental Health http://www.nami.org/

I am wishing you the best....reach out asap to any of the links I have posted....Start with one step...make a call today.

All the links in my post.

This is specifically Tehachapi links for help. http://www.yellowpages.com/tehachapi...olence-centers

National Teen Helpline Teen Health and Wellness

Job Corps Welcome to Job Corps

211 National Help line for resources for anything you need contact help or information for2-1-1.org

National Organization Helpline for Mental Health http://www.nami.org/

Last edited by JanND; 01-07-2017 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
21. I'm from Texas. Only been in California 3-4 months. Since September 2016.

Lots of people talk about how California is FULL of social programs and assistance, some people complain about the Liberalness, but are refusing to accept the fact that some people need the help, or they are heartless bastards who just don't care.
Maybe you should have thought about relocating to an area with jobs rather than "social programs and assistance.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:17 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
I can't get anything going where I am, and some guy on HERE actually recommended (and said he did it) just leaving with a small amount of money (I could haul butt around town picking up cans and bottles, they're all over the place, all in walking distance, even the recycling center, but when it's too much to carry I can get a ride to there).

I just see what other people do, living life, and I want to do that, I want to get started IMMEDIATELY, even having to go straight to a homeless shelter would be worth it, hopefully they can help me gain any form of employment, and I can get even a super tiny apartment of my own ASAP. I'll work in a grocery store, a convenience store, I'll clean tables, I'll mop and sweep floors, I'll do any job I can. And eventually I could go to trade school or something, maybe make some investments, maybe who know what else.

I wish I could have formulated a better plan while I still had all my savings, but I do not have that now.

I do not plan on taking everything. Just what I can fit in my backpack. So my laptop, and 1-2 maybe more sets of clothes. It was SUCH a problem moving around with so much stuff to carry, it made me vulnerable and those homeless (or non-homeless beggars) guys almost robbed me, I couldn't run cause my stuff actually fell out of my bag that had a broken zipper. I was scared, they got so closed to me, not to be racist but they were all black. My taxi driver (I wish I could have tipped him more after that) was AWESOME. He actually came out and shooed them off. Before I got out of the taxi they actually ran up panhandling me, my taxi driver was like HEY GET OUT OF HERE! GO! SHOO!

My toothbrushes were all that actually fell out as I walked to the entrance to the Greyhound bus station, and I guess since it was worthless to him, the panhandler picked up the toothbrush pack and put them back in my bags. If I would have been stupid enough to let him carry my bags, I'm pretty sure he would have ran off. He was like can I carry your bags for a dollar? I lied and said, I'm sorry I don't have any cash on me. He said Oh alright well can I carry them for free? I was relieved when I made it into the bus station. Being sheltered my whole life, and spending my life in rural areas, that was the first time I had ever been in that kind of situation. And maybe the panhandlers could sense that.

Some call it luck, some would call it a miracle, but not in any one of the bus stations I was in was I ever robbed, I left all my stuff out to go to the bathroom, it was always there when I got back.

The guy (or girl?) who recommends just GOING somewhere with a small amount of money and what I can put on my back (and says they did this) has the username s1alker, so I'd really like you to answer this s1alker.

By the way, I know this may not be a GENERAL moving issue, but I didn't know where else to post this thread.
Do you have a driving license and know driving?? Truck schools train you for free for driving trcuks and pay around 20$ per hour..

Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Do you have a driving license and know driving?? Truck schools train you for free for driving trcuks and pay around 20$ per hour..
https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/search/trp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues