Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I'm assuming they're somewhat harsh?
And I've heard of St.George, simply because I know it's near Zion
Last winter in Des Moines was "easy" -- only two bad ice days and no shut-downs of I-80 or I-35 near the metro -- but sub-zero stretches and occasional blizzards are more the norm. And there's the wind, lottsa wind, which I love because I can breathe out here, but one transplant asked me the other day, "Does the wind ever die down?" Yeah, mid-summer, when the humidity kicks in, LOL!

St. George is the "Western South." They tried growing cotton down there at one time. It's a lot warmer than SLC and is becoming a retirement town.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:50 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Greenville, SC has beautiful weather most of the year and is great for people who love the outdoors. Lots of biking, hiking, water sports. You should check it out.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Greenville, SC has beautiful weather most of the year and is great for people who love the outdoors. Lots of biking, hiking, water sports. You should check it out.
We actually looked into Greenville, SC a long time ago and were very interested in the area. It just panned out to move to California instead. We will definitely take another look!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I'd also recommend Greenville, but keep in mind smaller metros will almost always have a limited job market for professional fields.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
I would have thought Nashville meets your criteria pretty well, but the first post mentioned you didn't like living there. If you could elaborate, perhaps that would help posters suggest locations accordingly that could be a better match. Many of us enjoy rather modern, sprawling, fast growing Sunbelt cities but others do not, and one's experience in a metropolitan area may vary a great deal depending on the specific places where they live and work.

I think San Francisco is on a very atypical level as far as "elite liberalism" is concerned, and I'm not particularly conservative myself. Just about anywhere else in the nation would be more moderate.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
We drove through Salt Lake City on the way to California during February and areas around it with mountains & snow were pretty. Isn't there a high population of Mormons in this area? If so, would that create any kind of issue?
We moved across country 5 times with my work and moved back to SLC as it's our chosen place to raise a family. I live in one of the most LDS concentrated burbs in Utah and it's wonderful.

I know you didn't like Nashville but have you been to Knoxville? We lived in Maryville for a few years which is a very rural burb of Knox that borders the smokies. Asheville NC is also another great community to try as well.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
San Antonio, San Diego, NC, Little Rock

Old 04-24-2017, 08:37 AM

190 posts, read 167,483 times
I recommend the Triangle of North Carolina. Should have most of the poster's requirements.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
The culture there is very LDS. If you are non-practicing not an easy place to raise kids.
To the OP: The population of Salt Lake City is about 50% LDS and not all are practicing. Most non-LDS transplants have found their experience in the Salt Lake City area to be a very positive one. Check out the Salt Lake City forum and ask your questions there. You are more likely to get an answer you can trust than you can get from some random person who has never lived in Salt Lake City and has his own preconceived notions about the area.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
We moved across country 5 times with my work and moved back to SLC as it's our chosen place to raise a family. I live in one of the most LDS concentrated burbs in Utah and it's wonderful.

I know you didn't like Nashville but have you been to Knoxville? We lived in Maryville for a few years which is a very rural burb of Knox that borders the smokies. Asheville NC is also another great community to try as well.
I used to frequently visit Gatlinburg so Knoxville & Asheville are well know to me. I've visited both multiple times and enjoyed my time there. Good suggestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues