Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:20 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are from the Indiana/Kentucky area. We lived there until about a year and a half ago. I then received and amazing opportunity with my company and we moved to San Francisco. We have been a little over a year and have about a year left until I can transfer again, however we are about to begin the "planning" phase of things. We definitely want OUT of this area and out of California in general. I am luckily able to transfer about anywhere in the US so any suggestions welcome.

A little background for us. We are in our mid-20's, no kids(but plan to have some in the next 2-3 years), have great jobs/careers, and enjoy the outdoors. Political stance isn't a huge issue, however we cannot live in another "California", as elite liberalism is just too much to deal with. We like suburbs compared to actually living in a major city. We have only lived in a couple places so far, Louisville, KY...Nashville, TN...and currently San Francisco. We did not like Nashville, and do not like San Francisco/California.

Out next move, we want to make somewhat permanent. As in buy a house and stay at least 5-10 years. Each State/city obviously has a different cost of living , but we manage to pay outrageous rent & still do all we live in the San Francisco area, so that's that, but we would like somewhere more affordable to actually be able to own & pay off a house.

So, all being said, just looking for possible suggestions on where we might be a "fit".

Thanks in advance

Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Your post is too broad. It would help if you would be more specific. Do you like cold weather? Warm weather? Are you outdoorsy? What amenities are you looking for? Do you like big cities or small towns? Etc. . . The US is huge, so giving us more info would be helpful.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Your post is too broad. It would help if you would be more specific. Do you like cold weather? Warm weather? Are you outdoorsy? What amenities are you looking for? Do you like big cities or small towns? Etc. . . The US is huge, so giving us more info would be helpful.
I did mention we love the outdoors, and we prefer to live in the suburbs of a large city.
But it is a little broad, so here goes.

With my work, I will be assigned a city, and must live within 50 miles of the assingend city limits. Basically, every major city in the US, my company is there.

We prefer decent weather, but a place with all 4 seasons is totally okay, as long as it's not extreme winters like Minot, Norh Dakota (-30 to -60 degrees). Snow isn't an issue, but at the same time, would like to not be "snowed in" throughout the winter.

Amenities...Access to the great outdoors is a plus. Somewhere safe is a must. Walkability is a plus, but not a necessity, I don't mind driving to he grocery, out to eat, etc... We don't have kids YET, but they're in the future plans, so somewhere able to raise a family is also needed. If we end up in city with no amazing scenery, it's preferred to be within a reasonable driving distance to something like the mountains, oceans, etc...to take weekend vacations & explore.

Does this help at all? Thanks!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:15 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
You say you don't fit with the "elite liberalism" of San Francisco. Are you religious? Are you more politically conservative? I say this because a person who feels out of place in San Francisco because it's too liberal might find themselves feeling the other way in popular cities like in NC or SC. Also, what is your housing budget?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
You say you don't fit with the "elite liberalism" of San Francisco. Are you religious? Are you more politically conservative? I say this because a person who feels out of place in San Francisco because it's too liberal might find themselves feeling the other way in popular cities like in NC or SC. Also, what is your housing budget?
We are kind of in the middle as far as political stance goes. Agree with certain policies from both ends of the scale. California & San Francisco are just too liberal for us. We can easily deal with with either type of political stance, and I have been around conservatives my entire life until moving to California. It's just, specifically the area in California we live in, if you aren't an "elite liberal", you're cast aside.

Religious not so much. We aren't against it by any means, but not "practicing" it either. We tend to stay out of people's business , live & let live sort of thing.

Housing budget will vary by city. It depends on the cost of living. It's hard to "nail down" a budget since prices will differ place to place

Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Utah, around SLC might fit the bill. There's a lot to do outdoors. Park City might be good.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Utah, around SLC might fit the bill. There's a lot to do outdoors. Park City might be good.
We drove through Salt Lake City on the way to California during February and areas around it with mountains & snow were pretty. Isn't there a high population of Mormons in this area? If so, would that create any kind of issue?

Old 04-23-2017, 08:43 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
We drove through Salt Lake City on the way to California during February and areas around it with mountains & snow were pretty. Isn't there a high population of Mormons in this area? If so, would that create any kind of issue?
The culture there is very LDS. If you are non-practicing not an easy place to raise kids.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:55 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
It may not be as true now, but there were fewer LDS in Park City. You might post in the Utah forums and go visit if it makes your short list. There's a lot to like about Utah. St. George (south of SLC) is on my short list for "retirement" places (Yeah, like I'm going to be able to afford to retire, LOL!).

I'd recommend the Des Moines Metro (lots of cool small towns nearby, family-friendly, affordable homes) but you probably wouldn't like our winters.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
It may not be as true now, but there were fewer LDS in Park City. You might post in the Utah forums and go visit if it makes your short list. There's a lot to like about Utah. St. George (south of SLC) is on my short list for "retirement" places (Yeah, like I'm going to be able to afford to retire, LOL!).

I'd recommend the Des Moines Metro (lots of cool small towns nearby, family-friendly, affordable homes) but you probably wouldn't like our winters.
I'm assuming they're somewhat harsh?
And I've heard of St.George, simply because I know it's near Zion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.