Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM

202 posts, read 1,018,240 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a room full of old, used furniture that I need to get rid of. None of it is particularly valuable, however I'm uncertain about what to do with it all. I definitely need to hire someone to come in and move it all out of the room, but I'm not sure what to do with it all after that point. Trash it? Goodwill? Sell it? Who do I hire to come in and move it all out for me? Private moving company? An individual? ... any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Old 01-08-2018, 02:12 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Salvation Army

Old 01-08-2018, 02:15 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Salvation Army
+1

I got the Salvation Army to take mine away for me. They sent two men with a big 18-wheeler to pick it up for me on a Saturday morning. The men were polite, very thankful for the donation, and careful not to bang anything up while moving it out.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
If it is still viable, call Salvation Army or Purple heart and they will bring a truck and pick it up. If it is junk. put it out at the curb. Usually someone will take it. If not you may have to pay to have the regular trash service haul it off. Some locations do not charge, some do.

Where we live you can put pretty much anything at the curb and either scrappers or WMD will take it. There is no charge.

You can also put it out at the street and post a notice of that on Facebook (local sales or freebies page) or Craigslist.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:26 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Put an ad on Craigslist for "FREE STUFF" (since you said it's not worth much/anything), and it'll be gone in a matter of days - if not hours! I've done that with every move, after selling anything that did have value, and people were thrilled to get what they did. There are literally people who scour Craigslist daily for free stuff, so it won't take long for them to respond. Just make sure to add "MUST pick up and transport yourself," or they might expect you to help.

And when it comes to the end, where you just want to get the stuff out, put it at the curb with a "FREE" sign. If you need help physically moving it out there, find a strong young neighbor willing to do it for beer, or look outside your local Home Depot for a day worker. I know the latter will make some people here gasp, but it's worked for me in many past experiences. In fact, some of the best help I've gotten has been from Home Depot (or similar) day workers. Helps that I speak Spanish too, LOL.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:29 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Also, you can try NextDoor, Facebook Marketplace, 1-800-Got-Junk or LetGo. I personally stick with Craigslist, since it's what I'm used to, but I hear good things about the others... and I did use Got-Junk once, with good results. They dumped an entire truckload of stuff for me!

Old 01-10-2018, 12:04 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Salvation Army, Goodwill, put it out on the curb with a free sign, put it in with the trash, list it on Facebook local selling groups, list it on Craig's List, put an ad in the paper for free furniture. It's easy to get rid of furniture!

Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
One reminder is, if you're going to donate it to Purple Heart or Habitat or some other place that will pick it up, you need to give them advance notice. I found this out the hard way when I had sold most of my furniture on Craigslist and then was trying to donate the rest. Unfortunately, many places were booked way out.

I ended up putting the stuff in the "free" section of Craigslist and luckily, someone came and got it. People usually like free stuff, no matter what condition it's in.

I wouldn't take a chance putting it curbside in case no one takes it, then you might be stuck with it by your moving deadline.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I usually call habitat for humanity and give it to them they come with a truck and haul it away as well . that way you are not stuck with it at moving time or deadline . end of story .

Old 01-10-2018, 04:12 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Hi,
I have a room full of old, used furniture that I need to get rid of. None of it is particularly valuable, however I'm uncertain about what to do with it all. I definitely need to hire someone to come in and move it all out of the room, but I'm not sure what to do with it all after that point. Trash it? Goodwill? Sell it? Who do I hire to come in and move it all out for me? Private moving company? An individual? ... any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Salvation Army will take it away for free. I would also try to sell what you can on Craigslist too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues