Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2021, 08:40 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times

Advertisements

I have moved twice without visiting first. The initial was for a work exchange program abroad. I had never been to the country or specific location, but my sister had stayed/visited the area for a summer. The location was actually really good, but my first apartment was like a dank cavern and I ended up having to move out. It was probably the best location I’ve lived in in terms of climate and offerings- it was absolutely beautiful with mountains and water, had snow but somehow never froze.

The second place is my current location. It is suburban. I had been to the actual city itself many times but never to the particular suburbs where my job was. I ended up staying in a hotel my first week, finding an apartment, and staying there a year before moving to a part of the suburbs I liked better.

In the last place I lived, I literally went there once for a dinner and drove through the part of town I lived in. Once I drove through that part of town, I said “I want to move here!” I did, and ended up loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 08:44 AM

130,050 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Are you an adaptable person, can you find silver linings? I these are good attributes to have when moving, seen or unseen. Don't expect things to be done in the same way as your current home, learn to appreciate the changes.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:46 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Are you an adaptable person, can you find silver linings? I these are good attributes to have when moving, seen or unseen. Don't expect things to be done in the same way as your current home, learn to appreciate the changes.
Just a theoretical question: if she were, wouldn't she adapt to and find silver linings in her current location and therefore not want to move?

Old 04-05-2021, 09:03 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,990 times
Default Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Just a theoretical question: if she were, wouldn't she adapt to and find silver linings in her current location and therefore not want to move?
So true. Having lived where I am now any silver lining would have shown by this time. There is a pin that says something like "There is nothing worse than living in a place where you do not belong". Especially when it makes you physically ill, as it has done to me.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:03 PM

230 posts, read 230,204 times
I moved to a place I had not been before for a job. I don't regret it, but left at the first opportunity to do so after four years. The older I get the less likely I would be to do that sort of thing again, but the job would have been silly to turn down at the time.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:07 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
I wouldn't recommend it.
That said, when I was younger my Dad was in the Military and we had to move when they said. It always worked out.
It's weird how many cities and states in one country can be so totally different in personality and culture/vibes.
I have lived in Kentucky, Florida, Connecticut and Maryland....they can all be alike in so many ways, but also so very, very different in many other ways. Sometimes you could almost experience culture shock!

Sometimes on vacation, I remember thinking that I might like to live in certain cities that I visited, or would hate to live in others.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:47 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,227,308 times
I moved to a different country for a job without having ever been there. It was an interesting experience, I'm glad I did it that way. The experience was good for my career and personal development, but if I had had visited beforehand I may not have done it. I didn't really like the place very much, and a visit may have deterred me. This way I could grab the opportunity without letting such reservations affect me.

That being said, I was pretty unattached, had no intention of buying property and always knew it was a temporary move. As a result I felt like I was playing with house money. If it had turned out the worst thing in the world, I just would have booked a plane ticket back.

I feel like the more baggage you have in your life, the harder that kind of move is and the more carefully planned it needs to be. So your mileage may vary.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:04 PM

474 posts, read 1,259,990 times
I think it's a good thing to make a list of what is important -- large items as well as minor. Work off the list when considering a place. I didn't do it and now I am stuck. Good thing to talk to locals, if you can, as well.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:32 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
I think it's a good thing to make a list of what is important -- large items as well as minor. Work off the list when considering a place. I didn't do it and now I am stuck. Good thing to talk to locals, if you can, as well.
Being someone who's natural inclination is to keep in mind what IS personally important and who does prioritize those things, people who can't/don't do it always surprise me. Of course I hear about people who don't, but I find it hard to imagine. Everyplace I've moved to had upsides and downsides. Can't think of any place I've completely regretted. Even if I didn't end up loving the place I usually learned a lot from living there. Pretty hard to grow if you never step out of your comfort zone or take a risk.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-07-2021 at 03:54 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 06:56 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I've lived in 4 different states and loved each of them. And I love road trips and exploring new places.
This is me. Guess that's why I hang out here at City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues