Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 PM

113 posts, read 449,884 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if you've ever lived in a place where it seemed all your luck went completely out the window? Or bad things just seemed to find you? To the ridiculous point where you feel like this must be a sign that this city is not for you and vice versa and you ought to leave?

I moved to a city three separate times, didn't live there long (a matter of months), and went through some of the worst experiences of my life. They could have happened anywhere, true, but it just got to me that they always happened immediately when I moved there. I really wasn't able to be happy living there because bad things kept happening. I even felt like the city was trying to drive me out, like I was cursed. Not literally, but it was just amazing how many bad memories I'd created in such a short time. You don't want to blame the city itself, but then again, you're thinking, "wow, I just can't win here." Maybe we just can't ever jive well in certain places? I don't know.

Ever moved to a city that had the same effect on you? What happened? Did you give up and leave or stick it out?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,271 times
Yes, but "lucky" for us, it was temporary since it was a military posting.... we till refer to it as "the black year"

Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey87 View Post
I'm curious if you've ever lived in a place where it seemed all your luck went completely out the window? Or bad things just seemed to find you?
Funny that you are in New Orleans and ask such a question. It's been many years now but New Orleans was undoubtedly the worse place I have ever lived or worked. On my first day in town, a guy tried to mug me. I found most of the people in NOLA to be perpetually angry. I'm sure the City hasn't gotten better what with Katrina and the current economy. It took a little time but, as soon as I could, I put NOLA in my rear view mirror. I have never looked back.

NOLA is a bad penny among American cities and probably has been for many years.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 PM

113 posts, read 449,884 times
ha, i wasn't going to say anything, but i am actually talking about new orleans. it's like nothing can go right for me here. i've never had this kind of "bad luck" feeling or experience anywhere else. maybe things will get better with time and i'll change my tune, i don't know. but it's to the point where i'm like, "what is UP with this place?"

Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,809 times
for me it's Florida-one crappy job after another..almost been mugged a few times by homeless people..one way or another I'm moving back to Denver. I lothe this place...

Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
We bought a house, that was right out of the movie, "Money Pit". If something could go wrong, it did. We had a home inspection prior to moving in. We found out, that if it rained, a lot, our home would flood, we were not in a flood zone, but somehow, sewage would come into our home. It was terrible. After we moved, the home was actually condemed.
We had a car stolen there. And a tree in our yard was struck by lightening.

I have no desire to ever visit that town again. I lived five of the worst years of my life there.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,369 times
Absolutely you are not alone. I consider these the dark years...7 very looooong years (and counting...because I am still here unfortunately) Some things may have happened regardless (relatives passing away in clusters), but other events are directly attributed to this place. 90% of those events, actually.

It's not my intention to stick it out. It has been my intention to leave my spouse here since all has turned up peaches and cream for him. That's not working out right either.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
I think some places resonate w/ a person's self/energy and some don't. Ever went to a city and the "vibe" didn't feel right? Or, opposite, it just "felt right"? Even, like East coast feels different versus West, versus South versus Midwest. That type of thing. And, do people who are like-minded go to the same place? Interesting.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
Colton & san bernardino, ca.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I think some places resonate w/ a person's self/energy and some don't. Ever went to a city and the "vibe" didn't feel right? Or, opposite, it just "felt right"? Even, like East coast feels different versus West, versus South versus Midwest. That type of thing. And, do people who are like-minded go to the same place? Interesting.
Spot on! This place is like an alarm clock going off endlessly. I noticed it within 6 weeks of being here. Maybe they were the alarm bells going off in my head.

Since it has turned into someone smashing a giant pot with a metal spoon. It is a constant feeling of waiting, or being late for the door, or anticipating departure. It's torture!

And yes I am attempting to gravitate back to where like-minded people are. I am currently violently out of my element and have no intentions to regress to the thought patterns and processes of those around me. Frankly I often hear myself saying out loud 'there are really people here that [still] think like this?'

The whole vibe is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues