Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

when she would come home from visiting family she could feel a darkness come over her the closer she got.

I've been feeling like that with the town I live in now. I can pinpoint where this feeling comes in on the westbound, eastbound, and southbound routes.

And I also can go to different places and feel a vibe about the place- whether or not I would like it there.

I get this as well when I visit someplace. I ignored the bad vibe and moved to the town once. I learned my lesson. It ended up being a terrible place.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM

229 posts, read 585,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
when she would come home from visiting family she could feel a darkness come over her the closer she got.

I've been feeling like that with the town I live in now. I can pinpoint where this feeling comes in on the westbound, eastbound, and southbound routes.

And I also can go to different places and feel a vibe about the place- whether or not I would like it there.

I get this as well when I visit someplace. I ignored the bad vibe and moved to the town once. I learned my lesson. It ended up being a terrible place.
It's kind of eerie, I wonder what creates those vibes? Kind of like trusting my instincts- when I sense something is off about someone, or the situation isn't right, I'm usually spot on.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
It's kind of eerie, I wonder what creates those vibes? Kind of like trusting my instincts- when I sense something is off about someone, or the situation isn't right, I'm usually spot on.
It is eerie. I don't know whether to call it a blessing or curse.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Louisville, KY: Absolute worst place I've ever lived, and the more I visit now that I've moved away, the more I realize it's one of the worst places I've ever visited. Just a horror show. There are some interesting neighborhoods and the dining and culture scenes are pretty good when you consider the city's size and that it's in Kentucky, but that's about it.

Cincinnati was slightly better than Louisville, but extremely slightly. My job there had nice benefits but was terrible, so I think that tremendously skewed my perspective. Second worst place I've ever lived.

Where I live now, the SF Bay Area, is like a rollercoaster. Some days, everything goes 100% perfectly, I'm on cloud nine, a nice lady lets you get in front of her in line at the post office, and I'm feeling totally optimistic. The next day, you see plenty of road rage, get terrible service in a restaurant, and have an interview with a company that looks good on paper but has a bitchy hiring manager. Literally a place of extremes for me. Some days I absolutely love it, some days I hate it. I'm not staying here permanently as it isn't a great fit for me, but there is a lot to like...and it is several steps above Louisville and Cincinnati.

I used to hate the Lexington/Frankfort, KY area, where I grew up. Distance has actually made the heart grow a little fonder. Some aspects of the regional culture absolutely annoyed and still annoy me, a huge reason I left. I don't have a real desire to move back at least as a young man, but I cherish the good memories I have of that place. Lexington, Frankfort and Danville are nice cities within that region, and I got to enjoy the best of what they had to offer. There is something soothing about seeing very green hills after 3" of summer rain while driving along Tates Creek Road to Valley View.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,818 times
I refer to where I live as the black hole. It sucks you in and you can't leave. Every time I leave here I feel so much better about life in general. This time when I leave I am NEVER coming back.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Yeah it was becoming evident when I lived in Texa, where I grew up, that I was spending every last cent I made on travel so I could take a vacation and get away eery tme I had a day off even if it was just for a day. And I loathed the idea of having to come back when it was over.

I was out there last year. No things were NOT Better. Nothing to do, nobody to do anything with. Keep hearing all this yakity *** about how friendly people are here, I sent Email to 32 supposed facebook friends (some of whom I knew in person for years) And told everyone I would be in town, two people met me for lunch and "Had to run" Nothing from the others but excuses. Kind of "We are friendly to everyone EXCEPT YOU" Which is just kind of how life always was for me there. Had to get out and back to my life, better off here.
Family Dynamics suck there too.
I said after that, never again. NO MORE TRIPS TO TEXAS. It never eer worked out for me there and all the financial and personal success I have achieved in life was OUTSIDE of that place.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Personally- I have not lived within any area where nothing goes Right! If you ask the locals of NEPA they may consider their region a place where nothing goes right. Just follow the sounds of whinning!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
I have moved from Indiana to California 3 times. Once Hollywood, once Ventura, and last San Luis Obispo. I spent ( or say wasted ) 6 years of my life saving n moving, moving back blah blah blah. No matter where I went out there I just had bad luck. Went through heaps of $. Finally gave up on the California Dream, it wasn't really all I hoped for anyway. Nice to visit, hike,ocean etc. But im cursed against living there.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Yes, Kansas City metro area. It is a place where the prevailing culture mandates that they try to pigeonhole you into a particular category, and if you are anything outside of their perceived norm than they just keep pushing to try to figure you out. The extreme conformist mentality and suburban mentality of a huge majority of the populace was nauseating along with everything being ridiculously spread out. Walking somewhere was dangerous because drivers just didn't care at all. The social culture was even worse because it is rated as the absolute worst place for single people in the US. Most everyone is either married, divorced, or has kids (plural) by the time they are 27-30. I am sure glad I don't live there anymore.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Louisville, KY: Absolute worst place I've ever lived, and the more I visit now that I've moved away, the more I realize it's one of the worst places I've ever visited. Just a horror show. There are some interesting neighborhoods and the dining and culture scenes are pretty good when you consider the city's size and that it's in Kentucky, but that's about it.

Cincinnati was slightly better than Louisville, but extremely slightly. My job there had nice benefits but was terrible, so I think that tremendously skewed my perspective. Second worst place I've ever lived.

Where I live now, the SF Bay Area, is like a rollercoaster. Some days, everything goes 100% perfectly, I'm on cloud nine, a nice lady lets you get in front of her in line at the post office, and I'm feeling totally optimistic. The next day, you see plenty of road rage, get terrible service in a restaurant, and have an interview with a company that looks good on paper but has a bitchy hiring manager. Literally a place of extremes for me. Some days I absolutely love it, some days I hate it. I'm not staying here permanently as it isn't a great fit for me, but there is a lot to like...and it is several steps above Louisville and Cincinnati.

I used to hate the Lexington/Frankfort, KY area, where I grew up. Distance has actually made the heart grow a little fonder. Some aspects of the regional culture absolutely annoyed and still annoy me, a huge reason I left. I don't have a real desire to move back at least as a young man, but I cherish the good memories I have of that place. Lexington, Frankfort and Danville are nice cities within that region, and I got to enjoy the best of what they had to offer. There is something soothing about seeing very green hills after 3" of summer rain while driving along Tates Creek Road to Valley View.
You've had quite the culture shock. You should come out west to Wyoming to get some more (although I think you would like ours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues