Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 11:27 AM

425 posts, read 419,281 times

Advertisements

The guilty part for me before a move, I realizing how much of the stuff I gave away were Christmas items from relatives. They could have saved themselves the bother of shopping, wrapping, and presenting the things to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
I am almost done moving out of my apartment in Tucson. I don't have much, and am putting it in a storage unit. Today I took one grocery bag of stuff to a donation center, and that is it for this move.

So far, I have made two trips to the storage unit in my little Honda Fit with a total of a dozen boxes or large plastic containers. Tomorrow I'll move the few furniture items in a rental van: 1 bed, 1 small table, 3 kitchen chairs, 2 living room chairs, TV, small TV table. Last will be 4 or 5 small boxes of kitchen items.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:12 AM

743 posts, read 877,102 times
In preparing for our retirement move and our daughter moving out to her first place, I had about 18 months. I went through room by room what to sell, donate, give to our daughter and what to throw away. I sold a ton of stuff because I had a lot of time to do it.

By the time it was time to move, everything was organized and it was a breeze. I should mention that when I started, we were looking for a house. It took about 18 months to find the right place to retire. We looked a lot out of state. When we were getting ready to move, I boxed up everything. No need to go through it, I had already completed that task. It really was so simple. I'm pretty proud of that because moving can be really stressful.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:46 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
I've posted this before on a couple other threads but, when my wife and I finally moved in together after a 6 year long distance marriage, we moved from her trailer and my house into a house we rented. We put all the things we didn't want to keep, or didn't have room for, in my wife's trailer, and I advertised in the local paper for a free yard sale. Everything was free, first come, first served. In two hours everything but a box of dishes were gone and that box went to the Goodwill the next day.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:08 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
I have never rented a storage unit, and I don't need to, but I have no idea what they charge. I suppose it depends on what you are storing and for how long, because it seems to me that if it's long term that eventually it would cost more to store items than replace them.

And what is it with these people that don't pay the rent, and then when the facility opens the unit they find a dead body? Seriously, it seems like that would be the first bill to get paid.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,618,169 times
I got rid of a lot of stuff on my recent move, even most of the furniture I realized I was tired of having "it will do" decor and wanted "now this is what I really want!" decor. So I used my recent move to do just that. I can't wait for what I did keep (and the stuff I bought before the move) to arrive this weekend so I can unpack it all. I donated to the Animal Humane Socieity and they seemed pretty happy with all the stuff

Old 11-29-2020, 11:22 PM

483 posts, read 624,814 times
We sold a lot of stuff and gave some stuff away free using craigslist and the "letgo" app. I also took 3 loads to the dump. I would have donated stuff but they were shut down due to the covid pandemic when we were getting ready to move. Since the local flea markets were also shut down at the time, a lot of people were buying online. We made enough to pay half of our moving costs.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Two years ago moved my mother out of 2 homes in WA State and moved her to AZ. I sold my larger house I had for 18 years and bought a small condo.

I framed it as "Benefit or Burden?". Will it provide a function or does it take up space? Mom is a "collector" and my gawd it was amazing how much she had stored away, including some in my basement.

Because so much was valuable to her we did the yard sail, it was a pretty damn big yard and it was loaded with stuff. 4 days of laying stuff out in the morning, hanging out all day, then putting stuff up for the night. Wasted time, wasted space, wasted energies. It'd been so easy to just load it all up and donate. Did she make a few bucks? Maybe, but not worth it, my sisters and I certainly gave up a lot of time for it. I ended up making about a dozen Ford Ranger runs up to Goodwill with the remaining.

With my house I donated a lot to a managed homeless camp, they greatly appreciated all the mens clothes plus other functional goods. The furniture was given away or donated, and I had 1-800 Got Junk come by for what was left.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:23 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Incorrect - the increase in the standard deduction has made it unnecessary for most people but it is still a viable option if your itemized deductions are higher than the standard deduction.
Somewhat correct.

You can deduct up to $300 as a charitable deduction for TY 2020 even if you take the standard deduction.

"New $300 Charitable Deduction for Non-Itemizers
Previously, charitable contributions could only be deducted if taxpayers itemized their deductions.

However, taxpayers who don't itemize deductions may take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to qualifying organizations. For the purposes of this deduction, qualifying organizations are those that are religious, charitable, educational, scientific or literary in purpose. The law changed in this area due to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.

The CARES Act also temporarily suspends limits on charitable contributions and temporarily increases limits on contributions of food inventory. More information about these changes is available on IRS.gov."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-the...-contributions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues