Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 06:27 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
If you are a renter and get very little time to pack/move the best thing to do is get your valuable items packed and (maybe) into storage. Non-valuable items can be left to the last minute then call thrift shop who will pick up when you leave the door unlocked and you are gone.

The hardest part of moving/packing is last 2 nights when you've packed your kitchenware and have to wake up and pack bed and bathroom items and wait for moving truck to arrive. If you are moving in same locale it's a LOT easier than moving 1,000 miles away.
^^ This ^^

As much as I don't like where I'm living, I hate the thought of moving out of state again even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 07:24 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
We had to move fairly suddenly for a job opportunity and had been in our house for nearly 20 years. This was an unanticipated move for us so we had not prepared at all for it.

We called in an experienced realtor to give us her opinion as to what we needed to do to get the house ready for sale. We needed an unbiased, expert opinion to know what to prioritize. It turned out to be the typical list - fresh paint inside, replace old carpeting, decluttering, etc. But it was good to know where to focus our efforts and it helped to put my husband and I on the same page with what needed to get done.

Getting the house prepared and staged for showing was like going through an intense boot camp. It was a crazy couple of months but it paid off with the house going under contract quickly.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:44 AM

8,328 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Imagine you lived in the same place for over a decade and love it - but have to leave and you have only 2 months. What is your game plan?
Start packing. Start looking.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I put a tow hitch on the Lincoln and bought a teardrop camper. I planned to travel around my region of choice, looking at properties. I couldn't see renting and then driving two states away to see a potential home.

Last few nights: air mattress and live like you're already on the road. Imagine a gym membership for showers. One towel, small soap/shampoo, toothbrush. Travel kit with that kind of stuff. Essential drugs/ vitamins.

Clean out one room or a large corner of a room and start your "get rid of"pile. I always have well advertised yard sales and make enough for some gas money. I've moved a lot.

I got rid of everything except what fit on a pallet.

Old 06-28-2023, 05:17 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Imagine you lived in the same place for over a decade and love it - but have to leave and you have only 2 months. What is your game plan?
I just sold my last house, contract signing to closing was 19 days. House was not officially on the MLS, I sold it without a realtor in about 2 hours. I was able to stay 5 days post closing to move out (lived there over 20 years). I only slept in the house 3 of those days and then moved out (with moving company). The final 2 days were essentially clean up/garage junk type stuff.

It's not hard, in the 19 days we sold some furniture/donated whatever wasn't getting moved.

Old 06-30-2023, 03:28 PM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
2 months sounds like a lot of time and it is plenty of time if you use it and don't put off anything.
1. get rid of stuff
2. rent one of those Pods so that you don't have to rush and load a truck in one day. (you get a month from the time it is deliviered to the new place and unpacked - or you pay month to month if you need more time)
3. pack and load the pod.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:54 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
We moved 1800 miles. While I knew the plan, I didn’t enact it until T minus two months.

Ordered moving supplies from UHaul. The advantage is that the boxes the supplies were shipped in were used in our move. And, anything purchased and not used is returnable at the local UHaul.

Lined up a “by the foot” trailer and set a date for it to be parked outside the house for packing.

Over the next six weeks, I packed and organized everything myself. We didn’t take any appliances and donated most of our furniture. I also donated several truck loads of stuff we no longer wanted to move. Surprisingly enough, the garage took the longest to pack.

The truck was delivered on a Friday and with the help of two rented helpers, we had it loaded in four hours. The helpers accepted our trusty aged plasma TV for one of their grandfathers. Around 1 pm, we did a virtual closing on selling the house sitting in an empty living room. We grabbed a shower and did a quick broom-clean. My daughter came over and we took the remaining supplies to UHaul. While there, the funds from the sale hit my bank account.

We finished loading my truck which was 90% already done and we pulled out of Phoenix around 6 pm. We managed to get to New Mexico before exhaustion hit and we crashed for the night.

Two months is plenty of time but, you need a place to land. From there, start thinking about the physical move and then, make those arrangements. All of this occurred in early 2020 and Covid didn’t make it easy. We survived!

Old 07-03-2023, 11:12 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

As much as I don't like where I'm living, I hate the thought of moving out of state again even more.

I LOVE your status line!!! On that note: "Leave the state, take the sanity."

Are you from Jersey by any chance?

Slowly pack her up and leave. Why stay in a state you don't like? Moving is total hell is but there is an end to a move. But not liking where you live is forever..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues