Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 PM

64 posts, read 343,926 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female and I packed up my car and drove from GA to Dallas, TX. I didn't know anyone, I didn't have a job lined up, and I didn't have a place to live.

Everything turned out GREAT and my only regret is not doing it sooner!

I struggled for years in an area with no jobs and low wages. I was unemployed and had nothing to lose except the gas money to drive out west.

My parents weren't supportive of my desire to move but I did it anyway. My father yelled at me and my mother said I was making a bad decision. When I got my first job in Dallas making $3.50 more an hour than I had in GA I wrote my mother a letter to say "I told you so!"

In today's tough economy if you can improve your financial situation my moving then you should go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:10 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,270 times
I lived in England for six months when studying abroad because: 1) I wanted to gain some PRACTICAL media experience through classes rather than listen to professors talking all the time, 2) I wanted to explore the world a little more, 3) I was sick and tired of living in the conservative South and needed a serious break. I lived in Sunderland, England and I loved it there.

I tried to pack up and move to Washington DC with some friends, but then I decided at the last minute not to which was good b/c it turned out that one of those friends probably would not have helped us pay for rent. I moved to Seattle in hopes of a better job market since I have some technology skills (mostly with software, not programming or hardware) but ended up moving back home to the conservative South since Seattle seemed pretty anti-social and the people I lived with acted as though if I left the house I was going to get shot.

I would love to move back to England or move to Toronto, Montreal, or even Vancouver b/c they were pretty liberal, people did not act afraid about walking around at night, and because of the awesome social scene and they talked about things outside of reality television and NASCAR. However, unless you get a sponsorship or marry a Canuck, I've been told it's difficult for a foreigner to get a job in Canada. Also, with the way American currency is in comparison to British currency and the change in the British employment laws it would be pretty hard for me to rush off to Britain as well.

So, I am working at a job right now that pays me $10,000 below the average for my skills, education, and state. I'm researching areas within the U.S. that are similar to the following places I mentioned above, though mostly in regards to a social environment, good club scenes that actually play more than just pop/rap, and intelligent people. I'm 23, single, and loving it! I think being single gives you an advantage in moving since you can move wherever you want without worrying about what some fiancee/spouse wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues