Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM

252 posts, read 1,071,944 times

Advertisements

Hi, just curious how people relocate w/o a job........Don't most apartment complex's and landlords ask for job references, and ask who your employer is and such.

Also, if I wanted to purchase a home w/o a job how in the world could I get a loan.

The reason I ask is, I am thinking it would be a heck of a lot easier moving first, then getting a job........!!!! I have a little money saved, and I think I could get something at a temp agency!

Any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 02:29 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I have heard that for a mortgage, you can get one without a job, but the fees and interest they would charge are astronomical. I think that's called a "no-doc" loan.
We are moving too without having jobs lined up...I am hopeful that our excellent credit + a good reference from our current landlord will be sufficient. If we have to, we can put down an extra large deposit, but I'd rather not.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:58 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
My sister and her family relocated to the Tampa area, and couldn't find any place to rent without jobs. Plus, they had bad credit. The few places I spoke to that were willing said they would require excellent references and at least several months up front.

If you have good credit and references, your best option is probably someone private, not a property management or apartments complex.

Good Luck

Old 02-28-2007, 04:04 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
I moved without a job halfway across the country, but I had substantial savings and was able to buy a new house with cash (so no qualifying needed) and no job was immediately required to live on.
Thursday I go in for my first job interview since 2001! I just finished updating my resume.
When they ask me what I did between June of 2005 and now, I sure can't say I walked around in my underwear all day! I'll think of something more glamorous

Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
When they ask me what I did between June of 2005 and now, I sure can't say I walked around in my underwear all day! I'll think of something more glamorous
"independent consultant "

Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I moved without a job halfway across the country, but I had substantial savings and was able to buy a new house with cash (so no qualifying needed) and no job was immediately required to live on.
Thursday I go in for my first job interview since 2001! I just finished updating my resume.
Good luck with the interview....oh and maybe you should not mention the underware part....unless your going to be selling underware...

Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
You could always rent from private individuals. Depending on the size of your household, you could rent out a room or an entire floor (usually a basement) in someone's private home. Private individuals are generally far less stringent on what criteria is needed to move in. Usually, so long as you have enough cash for the first month, last month and security deposit and show an urge to work and explain your situation, you should be fine. Most people are understanding and many have been in similar situations themselves. Then, once in the area you're looking to live in, you can find a job while having a local address, and then eventually in a few months move out into an actual apartment or home.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
MoMark: I do exactly the same thing !! When almost everybody including myself got laid off (after 33 yrs for me) I decide rather than do a restart I'd just stay at home and play the market. I had been "playing" for a while anyway so it wasn't completely new. I also figured it was one of the very few "jobs" that is exactly the same no matter where you live as long as you've got a fast internet hook up. And seeing as how I'm working my way out of NJ seemed like a plan.

It's become a standing joke between me and friends about me getting up, making some coffee and then going to work in my underware without ever leaving the house. They all laugh...but you and I know they'd like to be doing the same thing

You bought that place no mortgage ?? I salute you .

I am also anticipating a problem though as excluding tax returns I will have no proof of any income at all. I havn't looked into how lenders are going to recieve that bit of news. Anyone had this situation ??

Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 AM

252 posts, read 1,071,944 times
Hi,
Thank you for all the responses, most of the private landlords I talked to didn't want to take the risk and rent to me, esp long distance, I guess I can't blame them.......Then again, how do u get your foot in the door. Guess I could stay in an extended stay hotel, but I think those are quite pricey, and would go thru my savings quickly that way.

I would love to hear some more from people that had to rent, or buy a house w/o jobs........!!! And how they went about doing that.

Thank You

Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
when I moved here 15 years ago I did not have a job
I had great credit and enough money in the bank to cover 6 months
I actually flew down 2 months before I moved to find an apartment. I didn't run into any problem once I foudn a place I liked. I filled out the application gave them first and last month and moved in 2 moths later.
I know folks now who have found apts and applied online mailed the deposit and had everything done but signing the lease before they moved
I would hold off on buying something till you were sure you liked the area.
If you have good credit and money in the bank you would probably be better off in a complex than with a private owner.
There are also extended stays that have weekly rates I would do a google search in the area you are intrested in
karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues