Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of selling our home. We would like to sell before our son goes back to school in the fall. Who knows if that will happen. We pretty much have our minds set on moving to NC.
My plans that I've been toying around with, would be:
1. If we don't sell by the time we want, rent in NC. Even if we do sell, this would've been our plans. We'd like to get a feel of the area. I don't want to wait any longer b/c my son is going into 10th grade. We really wanted to do it before he went to 9th grade. We have enough money to cover our mortgage for a year.
2. If we do rent in NC, this would give us time to see if we could seek out employment. We'd already be there and I think that would give us more opportunities being a local.
3. If all else fails and we don't sell the house, we could come back to FL or just continue living in NC until it does. We'd rather not rent our house either b/c it can be a big hassle. It would have to be kept clean for showings plus some renters could care less.
My main goal is to get to NC to get my son established to go to school there for 10th grade. I hope to sell the house in FL ASAP, but who knows. Also, we'd like to get established with jobs in NC. What are your opinions? Good idea or not?
BTW, I'm not working now and my DH has his own small landscaping company. There's a good chance he would transfer his business to NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
What would you do if you move to NC and find, after several months, that you neither your nor your husband can find jobs?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
What would you do if you move to NC and find, after several months, that you neither your nor your husband can find jobs?
We always have the option to come back to FL. I'm trying to think positive though.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:07 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
beckycat,
A word of caution; I have met many half-backs who ended up returning to FL for various reasons. Relocating to a new area is tough enough but to try it with this recession I don't think is a wise decision. There are a lot of extended stay motels from TN, NC, & SC. You might consider spending a few weeks trying to find a job and staying at one of them rather than committing to a long term lease.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
beckycat,
A word of caution; I have met many half-backs who ended up returning to FL for various reasons. Relocating to a new area is tough enough but to try it with this recession I don't think is a wise decision. There are a lot of extended stay motels from TN, NC, & SC. You might consider spending a few weeks trying to find a job and staying at one of them rather than committing to a long term lease.
What was the reason that they returned to FL? Yes, we will be half-backs. LOL

Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Seniors not finding medical care that would accept their insurance or Medicare. I met one couple who moved backed to FL because of allergies. I thought allergies would be worse in FL but they told me it is not bad by the ocean. Most did not like the attitude of the locals towards half backs.
Those that seem to like it were those that joined churches.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Seniors not finding medical care that would accept their insurance or Medicare. I met one couple who moved backed to FL because of allergies. I thought allergies would be worse in FL but they told me it is not bad by the ocean. Most did not like the attitude of the locals towards half backs.
Those that seem to like it were those that joined churches.
Are the locals not accepting? I'm focusing on the Raleigh area which I understand to be alot of transplants like FL. I visited there and the ppl where very friendly and helpful. Although, that's not the same as moving there. Also, I understand different areas have more locals.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 PM

The Raleigh area should be fine. There are so many people from other areas anyone from anywhere would blend right in.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:52 PM

37 posts, read 214,925 times
Quote:
beckycat,
This is a great idea you gave beckycat! I'm trying to find a place to move to...have areas I DON'T want to go to & others I do, so maybe this would be a good way to check out places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues