Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

I forgot to note that the intrinsic satisfaction of the Florida job being higher will probably see you promoted and making better raises over time, and the lower cost of living in Florida means if the pay differential is not huge you could indeed gross less yet net more in Florida as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Go to CD Classified Ads and check our who has a condo, room for rent. You could stay there for awhile then make a decision

Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and questions guys.

I have been looking because I would like to have a job which I enjoy more. I am extremely capable in my current position, highly respected by management, and have had success in gaining promotion and special awards. I just do not really enjoy it too much. It's a somewhat stale. Lots of technical information and knowledge to know, but the application of it is repetitive.

This job will be somewhat different, and somewhat the same. I will deal directly with different people than I do now, outside people instead of internal. However, I will still be doing somewhat similar functions too, and I suspect in time it too will get stale when the newness rubs off. It could lead to promotion into another job I think I may be good at and enjoy, but that is certainly not a given, nor would it be necessary for me to take this job to get that one. I can step to it from my present position.

As far as pay, it's less, by a small amount. There is no relocation pay being offered, or bonus. Basically, all costs born by me.

If I were to make a few items into a list.

Pro:
New duties will keep me more enguaged and interested
Potential to enjoy more than present position
Possible stepping stone to position I am targeting
Get to experience new area with better climate, better future prospects

Cons:
Lower pay, and lower future earning potential without promotion compared to keeping present position
no relocation paid, so it would cost thousands out of pocket
I Could step to the position I am targeting as one I would like in the future from my present position
Leave behind relationships I have built and enjoy
A couple more pros for you:
  • Florida doesn't have state or local income taxes so larger take home check
  • Moving expenses that are work related and not reimbursed by your new employer are deductable on your federal taxes (as long as you are in the same line of work. Keep all receipts including meals, lodging, a log of mileage and see a good accountant at the end of the year)
  • Almost everything in Florida is less than a 3 to 4 hour from anywhere else in the state.
  • You would be living where others vacation!
If you hadn't guessed...I say go for it! You are only young once

Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
young, single, Buffalo, snow

young, single, St. Pete, sun

the answer should be blinding you in the eyes!
and yes, Craigs can be your friend leaving/selling out & coming/buying...And HERE too fo course
IMO that is really a nice place
YOU can DO it!
Good luck

Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
If it is not your dream job as you stated, why take it? Keep looking for your dream job and realize you might have to move away from family and friends and start a new life.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
If it is not your dream job as you stated, why take it? Keep looking for your dream job and realize you might have to move away from family and friends and start a new life.
That's why it called a "dream" job; let's wake up!!! We all had to take a job we didn't like; even hated but while moving there he can meet people who can point you into another one ( which I must admit that people in the South are much more helpful and friendly) or keep looking in the new area and when he least expect it whammo the job dropped in your lap. It a part of living and working. But according to the OP this job looks better than his present situation.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I think it's important for young adults to learn how to step outside of their comfort zone.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times
Have you ever been to FL? How about St. Pete?

How stable is the company that offered you the new job? Unemployment is very high in FL now and the Tampa/ St. Pete area has been hit hard. Keep in mind that you can be fired at any time, for any reason in FL. If it doesn't work out in FL, would you be able to return to your job in NY? What is your "Plan B" in case you end up down there and the company goes belly up.

As for the move costing thousands, why should it? Pare down your stuff and rent your own truck. Pack your own boxes and hit the road. You can tow your car behind.

How social are you? Do you feel like you can make friends easily or at least join some clubs or something? (maybe meetup.com) It's tough to move to a new place away from everyone that you know. I would think you will be lonely at first esp on the weekends so you will have to work at getting to know people.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
One thing you might want to look at when you get ready to move to your new job in Florida. Make sure your apartment or house is big enough...for all the NY friends and relatives who will want to come and visit you in the sunny summer! lol

Old 01-22-2010, 05:56 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
well, I'm probably the last one you should listen to at the moment. I lived in No. Cal for 25 yrs. and have been on the east coast for 6 days. Obviously, I'm smack in the middle of an adjustment period, but I wouldn't minimize the value of wonderful relationships.

On the other hand, I agree w/ those who say to try this sort of thing at your age. You could go for 3 to 5 yrs. and return. To do it, later in your 40's becomes more difficult.

This is what bugs my husband about me: I'm usually of two minds on any one subject.

My bottom line: relationships matter. Period. And youth is the best time to try new things.

Sorry if I'm no help at all,

Alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues