Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 AM

97 posts, read 250,076 times

Advertisements

My kids just moved from Fla to Ohio and rented a Penske 22' truck and a "trailer" to put their car on that was towed by the Penske truck. As I recall, it was only a little bit more for a charge for the trailer (around $100, I think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:40 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
Most rental outfits only allow a tow package to be installed on their larger 21-26' straight trucks.

If the user only has a limited amount of household goods or other light, loosely loaded items inside the truck body to stabilize the ride, the slight swaying caused by the towed vehicle is strong enough to make the ride extremely dangerous for an inexperienced driver particularly on long journeys that involve winding roads and steep inclines.

DIY moving is great is you know what your doing. Unfortunately, the results can sometimes be catastrophic if you don't.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
I hope you have lot's of experience with towing a trailer? Otherwise get someone to drive the car and buy them a plane ticket back.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
I'd LOVE to drive your Miata to CA for you... I've driven across country many times in my little Civic.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
I think you're risking your life. That's just not worth it.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
I'm looking at renting a Penske truck for a cross country move and like a lot of you have mentioned, it is cost effective to go with the 22ft diesel rather than the 16ft gas (Assuming the mpg is at least 30% better with diesel.) (I'm moving 2500 miles away!).
I drive a Miata which weighs roughly 2000 lbs. I could easily fit the Miata and all of my possessions into a 22ft truck.
Any reason not to try?
I know the loading ramps are rated at 1000 lbs, but it would take 2 ramps to get the car in and out any way. The truck is rated for 8000 lbs.
Could save a lot of money over a car carrier and Penske does not offer a towing option for a Miata (too small for their equipment, I guess).
Thoughts?
(I had a motorcycle moved once inside a truck, the only stipulation was that the gas tank be empty, or close to.)

ps. I thought the idea of filling garbage bags with expanding spray insulation to fill gaps in the pack was brilliant and worth mentioning again. Great idea!
I may be wrong, but I'd bet that the rental company will not let you do that. Also, their loading ramps are in the middle of the truck - and it's just one ramp that's about 3 feet wide.

I think you'd be better off renting a smaller truck and pulling your car on a tow dolly. A 22' diesel powered truck is not apt to get 30% better mileage than a smaller gas powered truck. In addition, diesel is more expensive than gas, so often the savings are a wash anyway.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
I agree with other posters...got to a company that can rent both (truck & trailer). I moved 1100 miles and out a Cavalier on a trailer using a 26 foot truck.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:26 AM

98 posts, read 542,339 times
Default Trailer not an option!?

Tried 2 different truck rental companies, both with 2 different style car trailers (2 wheels off ground and full flat, from the looks of them); when I get to the part where they ask for make and model it comes up: we do no offer a towing option for that vehicle.

Perhaps the wheel base of the Miata is too small for their strapping system?

Like I said, I used a furniture moving company years ago (Allied? Mayflower?) to move a motorcycle, just had to empty the tank. A Miata is really just 2 motorcycles (in size and weight)!

I do have access to a discrete loading dock on my end, so getting the car on would not be a problem.

My next move is to put on my slinkiest outfit and stop by a Penske and ask. There are about 5 locations in the area...

Open car carriers quoted me around $900 for the 2500 miles. Seems a bit high, but if I have to get someones else to drive and pay extra gas, hotels, food and plane ticket, that's not a bad deal!

Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
I used to move six vehicle inside fully equipped, properly licensed, over-the-road moving vans with no problems - either with the way they were transported or the authorities.

Truck rental companies are NOT licensed to move move POV's interstate under their USDOT operating authority. Although federal regulations don't technically require a individual homeowner driving a rental truck to stop when they encounter a weigh station at a port-of-entry, heightened security concerns since the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City and 911 have prompted many states to now REQUIRE that ALL trucks stop to have their cargo checked.

Since rental outfits aren't licensed to move cars interstate, you may be forced to unload the vehicle (without a dock) and leave your Miata with Officer Obie at the scale house - somewhere.

The fellow that rolled the Penske truck used to transport his Ford saved himself about $1200 loading it inside with the rest of his household goods.

It only cost him about $60K to replace the truck, his automobile and his household goods. But that was after he paid almost $9K in court cost fighting the rental company and $4K paying the Tennessee state DOT to clean up after his accident.

But, hey, saving $900 is probably worth the risk. It can buy you a lot of slinky outfits.

Check out the practical tips at my blog post on How to move a motor vehicle.

Last edited by RikkiTikki; 02-06-2010 at 05:30 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 PM

289 posts, read 569,687 times
Look into renting a car hauling trailer from u-haul. You can rent the truck from Penske & the trailer from u-haul. Or even look into buying a trailer outright. You can usually get one for like $200 (at least we can here in TN) & then sell it when you get to where you're going. Just make sure you tie it down & secure it properly to the trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues