Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 01:16 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
Movers have been here since 8 am. DH just told me he accidentally packed our master inventory list. Fortunately I last saved it at 3 am so the only items not entered are all of his boxes that he was madly packing today.
Excellent! Have a great move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Default What did you do today to get ready to move?

Today I got a couple of those TV kits from the other u-haul store (each $19.95 + tax). At first I was just going to get one and try it before getting another for my other TV. However, it was such a hassle to find a U-Haul location here that had any at all, that when I saw they had only three I thought I'd better buy two.

Whether or not the TV kits are any good, at least I'll know that I will have done everything I can. They look pretty sturdy.

I also bought one large box. So far, all my boxes were medium or small but I had a bunch of things that wouldn't fit in those sizes. I was thrilled to find out that they all fit in one large box! My shoe rack, some paintings, some big baskets, a big machete ( !!! What can I say... guess I'm one tough old lady, LOL), and more. Good, now I won't have to move these things myself in my SUV.

I thought I was done packing after 38 boxes, except for my bedding and such for the Open Me First box. But now that I have packed these extra large items, I guess I'll be "more done".

So, that's box #39. Tonight I'm going to box up my family photos to make box #40, and also I still need to roll up those throw rugs and tie them with twine. I didn't do much yesterday because it all finally caught up with me, and by the time I got home from yesterday's trip to u-haul I felt exhausted. An evening doing nothing followed by a good night's sleep fixed that problem, though.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 05-22-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 05:12 PM

Packed up box #40. I keep thinking each box will be the last one, at this stage. But then I find enough odds and ends to pack up just one more.

The first throw rug I tied up was easy. To get to the second one, I had to move all of this off of it:

Steelcase file cabinet
Big, heavy hardwood desk
Two smaller antique hardwood desks
A 75 pound box containing my printer
A fiberboard printer stand
Antique chair
Tall double-wide bookcase with sliding glass doors

OOF!!! All of this in a 9'x9' room! Whoever would have thought that so much could fit in such a tiny room. Oh well. I got it out of the room but that was hard. Then I had to find a place to roll it up, and do that, which I think I've done. It's a bigger rug than I remembered. Now it will be easy to tie up, but first I'm catching my breath while writing this post. The third throw rug has a lot on top of it that I need to move, as well.

Closing on the house I'm buying has been pushed back a couple of weeks, to give the sellers time to complete some repairs. So, I'm not quite as rushed, but the more I finish, the more I realize needs to be done.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Yikes, NOLA, you are kickin' it! Cat, it's moving day, OMG, it's really happening!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had the MBenz on craigslist for two weeks, not one phone call. If I don't sell it before we leave I told my step daughter I am giving it to her and her BF. He is a 'car guy' and I know he will get a kick out of it. At least he can sell it or trade it, they can use the money.

SD and her BF are also available to haul with his tractor+lowboy trailer all of our tractors, the backhoe if we take it, and our two trucks. That is really good news.

My father will be here next week to drive a car down there for us. I am wondering what would be safe to pack in it, as it will be parked at the unoccupied house for awhile.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 AM

CCc girl, that's wonderful that your SD and her BF can haul all of your tractors! That's a big job and one less worry for you. The MBenz would be a fabulous "thank you" present for doing that (if it doesn't sell first).

As for what to pack in a car parked at an unoccupied house for a while, I'd say nothing except for what fits in the trunk. But then, I live in New Orleans where crime is out of control. Maybe it's better in other places. I never leave *anything* in my car here, even overnight in front of an occupied house.

Got the third throw rug out from under furniture, and will tie it with twine this morning. Yesterday I discovered a lot of disassembled metal shelving that I had put on an upper shelf in my exterior toolshed closet back in 2002. I forgot that I had it. But, it will be nice to have since my new house has a garage (my present house doesn't). I'll need to get it down, and use tape to make bundles of 4-5 shelves each (that are a good size for the movers to carry).

I'm sure glad I finished packing so early because I keep finding more things that need to be done. I also found some ancient, large, ungainly pieces of left over carpeting in the toolshed closet, that are pretty old and smell bad and don't even match the present carpeting in the house. So, I need to dispose of them. I didn't know I had them, either.

I also did some more drawing on quad rule graph paper and figured out where my furniture will go in the living room and master bedroom, tentatively. I have the room dimensions from the MLS listing, but I don't have measurements showing exactly where the windows, doors, and closets are.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
I went through cook books - some I've had for a long time and I've used a great deal - but - they are heavy and must go. Everything is online.

I sorted through old dog collars that I saved from past pets. Hated to do it but they must also go.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
A hint to those still in the process, from one who has made it to the "other side"

Don't overpack boxes, or pack them too heavy. If a box is sitting on the floor or a table sometimes we just don't realize how heavy its getting, then its too late to re-pack it!

I suggeat keeping a bathroom-type scale in the packing area and weighing boxes as you pack

Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 PM

678 posts, read 698,012 times
job search, job search, job search

Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 PM

52 posts, read 56,992 times
More packing and purging here. We hit a snag with the appraisal, the FHA guy said we had firewall the garage. Luckily, the buyers family own a construction company, so we went out on a limb and let them in to do it, so I believe we are back on track to close this week. We move on Sunday!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:25 AM

LuvdaSun, how exciting that you may close this week! My closing was originally this Friday, but has been moved back twice because of repairs that the sellers need to make. I'm glad that they are paying to do these repairs, but I am eager to move since I am running out of things to pack. BTW, love your username!

Yesterday I finished rolling up and tying the last of my throw rugs.

Then I braved the cabinet under the kitchen sink, where I keep my cleaning supplies and chemicals. I doubt the movers will want to move these items, and I am just moving locally so I can take them myself. Really there was little to nothing in that cabinet that I could pack. That was a relief to discover. I have been avoiding that cabinet because I had no idea what I might encounter that needed to be packed.

MaryLeeII, some of my boxes are pretty heavy! But, the movers will user furniture trucks and I don't plan to pick any of them up any more. Wherever the movers put them in my new home, they will stay until unpacked. I guess they really aren't too bad except for the printer box that weighs 75 pounds. Other than that, I only have one large box. I mostly used medium boxes, and my books and paper files are packed in small boxes. My scales are packed by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues