Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 05:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

NOLA, try to get an in line filter for that water line to the ice maker. Some of the newer units have them built in.

I hope the fridge at the new place does not have a through the door ice dispenser, they are a playground for mold

Ugh, we were going to go out to the shop and continue the inventory of tractors to sell to our buyer, but it's 50 ish and supposed to rain all day. I have my furry slippers and a hoodie on

Maybe pull some more stuff out of the attic and sort/sell/donate/pack.

Happy fourth, all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
NOLA, try to get an in line filter for that water line to the ice maker. Some of the newer units have them built in.

I hope the fridge at the new place does not have a through the door ice dispenser, they are a playground for mold

Ugh, we were going to go out to the shop and continue the inventory of tractors to sell to our buyer, but it's 50 ish and supposed to rain all day. I have my furry slippers and a hoodie on

Maybe pull some more stuff out of the attic and sort/sell/donate/pack.

Happy fourth, all
Happy 4th of July, everyone!

Nope, no ice through the door - - since there's only one of me, I got a cheap freezer-on-top frig from Sears. Nothing fancy except the ice maker inside the freezer. My handyman can probably take care of that problem for me.

Brrr, it's cold up there! A whole different world from New Orleans. We have had temperatures around 95 every day, with high humidity and showers occasionally. Moving was tough in that heat.

Good idea to pull stuff out of the attic.

Today and tomorrow I need to un-pack the 8 boxes that are between the door and the laundry room, so that my washer/dryer can be easily delivered and put in place on Monday. Easier to unpack them than to push them around. Also today I'm washing all the dishes, silverware, glassware, etc as I unpack them, in my dishwasher before putting them away in cupboards or drawers.

Despite my expectations, the work doesn't stop after the move! But eventually it will. VERY IMPORTANT - - if you ever use a heating pad, make SURE you write down what box it is in. I am so glad I did and it is getting a lot of use. Like right now.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:44 PM

LMAO, about the heating pad. Make sure you know where the ibuprofen is, my neck and back are sore!

I packed up all of my music CD's. Three Priority Mail no. 7 boxes. DH's WWII collectibles.

We wanted to go out to the shop but it was supposed to rain all day and I got up waaay too early. Cooked up a storm, though, so no need to fuss for a day or two.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:53 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Went through another box, this one a reused server box from work. On the surface, it looked filled with miscellaneous needed supplies like a light timer, power strips, remote mouse, a few books, DVDs and supplies, pens, Sharpies, phone wire, and headphones extension.

Going through it, though, found it was mostly scrap paper, old smelly pet toys, and other junk. Half into the trash, half into the recycling bin along with the box, disassembled.

Now, later today, somethings like books repacked into other boxes, other things like the power strips put where I can find them if needed in the interim house.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:10 AM

I got in two one hundred foot rolls of bubble wrap, 4 bags of packing peanuts and six more rolls of packing tape for moving our hoard yesterday. I packed up the media cabinet (DVDs) and blew through a half a roll of bubble and half a roll of tape. Six 12x12x8 boxes!!!!!!!!

Today I have a gf coming to pick up a china closet and an armchair. The china closet was a gift from my Dad, it's nice but I want a new dining room set when we get down there. I big one like I have now, with a buffet and china closet and hopefully seating for eight.

The armchair I got at a garage sale in Ridgefield, CT for 15 bucks. It's nice but it doesn't match our new colors so off it goes. It will look nice in her place which is kind of country/shabby chic. They will be loved and appreciated. And I will have more room for boxes!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:13 PM

You're accomplishing a lot, CCc girl!

My post-move activities today include managing a crew to prepare my former home for sale, meeting with my real estate guy to go over the house and figure out how to price it, and arranging for my handyman to hook up the new appliances at my new-to-me house. I can't wait to have a functioning washer + dryer again.

Yesterday I was carrying laundry to my SUV (to do the wash over at my boyfriend's house), when I tripped on the one step down from my house to the driveway. My rather spectacular fall ended up with me doing a faceplant on the concrete driveway. Head wounds do bleed a lot! I finally got it stopped, and now just have a huge bruise on my face. No symptoms of concussion, thank goodness. However, I am clearly overdoing. So, now I am trying to cut back on the avalanche of work and just do what is necessary for a while.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:38 PM

OMG NOLA, you poor thing! OUCH! Get some ice on that bruise, it's going to look three times worse in the morning. A frozen bag of peas works well. I also recommend some Makers Mark for bruised nerves.

One thing I am mindful of is wearing sensible shoes while doing things here around the ranch. Like my mom, the Queen of stubbed toes, I am a klutz.

You'd think with that large hutch and chair gone the room would seem immense. He11 no!

I ordered another two rolls of bubble wrap. Repacked two smaller boxes of computer stuff into one larger and better packed one.

I packed the large porcelain planter from my aunt. It's handpainted from Portugal and she loved it. My mom brought it to my place after she passed when I inherited 'the Diplomat', her tuxedo cat. I stuck two small pillows in it, and another smaller porcelain pot and rolled it up in about twenty feet of bubble wrap. It fit perfectly into a 14" cube box I had.

I am also bagging things that would be hurt by water. The tall kitchen bags will easily be reused at the new place. It would be just my damned luck there will be a hurricane to greet us in SoFla.

I am trying to stay away from using the packing peanuts, they are such a PITA to chase down and dispense neatly into a bag for reuse. The bubble wrap can be neatly folded. Since I sell on ebay it will all get used up.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:43 PM

CCc girl, I am imagining you in a room full of bubble wrap packing boxes like crazy, dragging more stuff out of the attic, and selling more on e-bay. Lots to do, I'd imagine! I didn't use any bubble wrap at all, but then I was only moving 3 miles. It turned out that I had enough bedding, towels, t-shirts, and so on, to wrap all of my fragile stuff in for a move that short.

I now have a functioning washer and dryer and refrigerator. I never thought that doing laundry would be so nice but it is, after not having that capability for a while. I am washing everything. Also pretty soon my long time handyman will be working on a couple of upgrades to my new-to-me house that I really wanted. I bought 4 keypad entry deadbolts (for the front, side, and back door, plus the door into the side of the detached garage). I also gave him the money to buy a garage door opener for me (which he will install), since I didn't know what type would be good. Then maybe he can put up a couple of curtain rods for me.

I am recovering from my fall so that's good. I have unpacked over half my boxes but still have a lot more to go. I also have some other tasks like screwing the mirrors back onto to my triple dresser. My old house is on the market and was shown twice in the first 24 hours, which is better than I would have thought. I might get an offer from the second showing but we'll see. Right now I'm not doing a whole lot because moving was so tiring that I'm out of energy.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:55 PM

NOLA, be good to yourself. Open that wine.

You are correct, the house looks like a war zone. I have 40 boxes packed so far. And that's just the two china closets and some dishes! I have blown through 400 feet of bubble wrap so far.

Today we had good intensions of going up to the shop and taking photos of some old Cub parts for ebay. We decided to take a short road trip up to the lake b/c DH hasn't been out of the house for awhile since the pneumonia.

Well, our neighbors were out in the yard so we stopped to say hello, which turned out to an hour or so of the boys conversing with DH and me hanging out with momma. She wanted to give me a bottle of wine in exchange for the huge TV I gave her DH. I told her no, open the damn thing and let's hoist one.

They are in their eighties and Lord knows when the next time will be that we enjoy their company. I'm glad we stopped. Came home and napped for an hour. It was worth it. The stuff up in the shop will be there tomorrow. Our neighbors might not, and we love them dearly.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:53 AM

149 posts, read 187,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I thought I'd start this thread so we can all inspire each other while keeping track of our accomplishments.

I do stuff every day, but it gets discouraging. At the end of the day it seems I haven't made any real progress, and lots of times it ends up looking worse than when I started.

So, I thought to keep a sort of journal of my daily accomplishments, so I can reflect on what's been done. Perhaps others would like to join in, so we can go down this path together!

Today:

Took dd to school, came home, had 2nd cup of coffee, then got started.

I decided to focus on my bedroom. Ok, I've worked on this room before, I'm coming to realize I will never get a whole room done in a day. Just focus on parts of the room.

I spent about 2 hours, going through old books, and one closet. I've done the closet before and had to break off in the middle. Today I find myself looking at bags all over the floor, sorted before, but I can't remember what's what. some are donation, some are garage sale, some are trash, but I have to sort all over again because I left it half done.

Today I came up with a system. I found some old ribbon. I tie a color for a category on each bag---green is Goodwill, red is trash, blue is garage sale, etc. You get the idea. Also, I made a promise to myself to dispose of the days catch every day. don't leave it sitting there or you start getting things mixed up, regardless of how much you try to organize it. Dump the trash in the dumpster, put the donation items in the trunk of my car for a Goodwill run, and I have a designated spot in my garage for that garage sale that will probably never happen.

So, today I have six bags going out, 4 to Goodwill, 2 for trash. Also one giant box of books. As I look back, it doesn't look like I did anything, the bedroom is more of a mess than I began with, but, like I said, lets focus on what we accomplished,not what we still have to do.

And, don't work to the point of getting exhausted. I schedule breaks every 2 hours, get totally away from it, eat something, go surf my boards, take a walk, anything to mentally and physically take a break. I find I can go longer with some scheduled breaks.

So, lets all post what we've done today! Good luck!
Today I checked out Upack. We are moving from WA to TX in December. On the fence about how...Penske, Uhaul, Pods, Upack, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues