Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Not sure they are so rare. I was in fall river Mass a few years back and I had a tough time understanding the local accent. I had to ask people to repeat themselves. It is the thickest accent ive ever heard here in the US. (ive been to 46 states). I am from Michigan, and they thought my midwest accent was very strong as well, but at least they could understand me. Are the accents of New England alive and well? youbetcha they are.

Yes the accents are definitely alive and well. Im originally from the same county as Fall River, Bristol County. All of my relatives that live there all have the accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Ya, the Baaaahston accent is very noticeable, especially when they "pahk they-uh cahs."

Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 PM

307 posts, read 802,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
hunnert (the number after 99)
up air or down air (up there or down there)
poh-leece (might come with the ambalance)
far truck (fire truck)
I hear those in SEMO a lot.

As for the poh-leece, for whatever reason I sometimes just say "the law". My brother says I sound like the old folks when I say it.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Same here, and I pronounce both roof (rufe, rouf) and route (root, rout) in two different ways, I guess depending on what mood I'm in when I say it.

My DD says it like that and she grew up in Memphis. I blame it on her country*** kindergarten teacher, LOL. You don't by any chance pronounce 'monster' as if there is a U stuck in there do you? Or pronounce poem as 'pome'?

I love the pronunciation of doh for for door. Confuses the stew out of my coworkers when I shout at them to "hoe de doh, hoe de doh!'
>>>>>
Same here, and I pronounce both roof (rufe, rouf) and route (root, rout) in two different ways, I guess depending on what mood I'm in when I say it.
<<<<<

"Route" is definitely the most confusing and I notice that I use it in the two different ways as well....obviously "root" for when I say "Route 66" but oddly, I sometimes say "rowt" for "Route 44" at Sonic....or a receiver running a "rowt." Very confusing...where in the world did that "rowt" stuff come from? Sounds like Yankee talk or something.

I'm an Okie....I can't be tawkin' like no Yankee; I'll get run out of town.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
A lot of older people and some young people from really small towns say "warsh" for "wash" It's pretty common here in TN, my dad is from OK and he also says this. It seems to be common throughout this part of the South & some of the Midwest.

One thing I noticed that I pronounce differently from everyone around here (which is crazy because I've lived here my whole life) is Halloween. Almost everyone here says it with the long "a" sound. I've always said it like "Holloween"

I tend to pronounce things both ways. I say ad-dress and ah-dress. I think I tend to switch up my accent randomly. I say "rOOf" though.
Yep on the "warsh"....my Dad is from north-central Oklahoma and he says "warsh" for wash.

I definitely roll with "uh-dress" for address. Also, it's "hal-oh-ween" for Halloween all the way!

Also, it's definitely "puh-kahn" for pecan in the South-Central of OK/TX....none of this "pee-can" stuff only Southerners I've met that say "pee-can" are from south Georgia. All other Southerners say "puh-kahn" in my experience.

Born&Bread Okie here.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
off the top a few ppl still say alan instead of island lol.

out on the alan.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Since I've lived all over creation, I certainly wouldn't take how I say anything to be indicative of how it's said where I am...

But, myself and most folks say AD-dress, roof, with a long o, route to rhyme with out. In my region, nearly any town that has a 'ville' in it is said 'vull"...(one nearby town is Meridianville--said by natives in such a way that it sounds like Marinevull.)

While living in Oregon, I heard more people say 'crick' for creek and 'motorsickle' for motorcycle than any where else I've lived. Although one fellows argument was doesn't that rhyme with bicycle? Yeah. Yeah, it does. Still doesn't sound right...

I like the variations...

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Here in South Jersey we say Phone weird (phOAn) and some people will do the chawcolate thing. We also say School and schlide. The Joisy thing is a myth, although some people in North Jersey, usually towards the Amboys say "I'm gonna axe you a question" to paraphrase.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
I'm from Orlando.. and the word that stands out to me that I pronounce strangely is tourist- I say "turrist". Some more common ones are I say "sir-up" for syrup, and "pee-can" for pecan.

For the address pronunciations, I would "uh-DRESS" a person by name, but an "AD-dress" is where I live. Roof is "rue-f".

Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
in Baltimore

Muva= mother
Fawva = father
Dug = dog ( not everyone says that, just ghetto folk)
tew= two
dew= do
yew= you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.