Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

[quote=dogwalker425;15468016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

That Norfork stuff drives me nuts! I had to show my husband on a map that it was spelled the same as the city in Virginia.
quote]

We know how it's spelled. We just don't pronounce it that way.
DH, who is from Nebraska, thought it was spelled "Norfork". Your story about the derivation of that pronunciation is interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:03 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Living in the Upper Midwest(Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota etc), I started using the word "supper" for dinner. It is something that is uniquely characteristic of this part of the country and most states do not use the word supper, actually I think it sounds pretty old fashioned!

A "supper club" is another concept that is unique to the Upper Midwest, I tried to find a definition of a "supper club" and this is what I came up with, pretty interesting!

Supper Club in United States is an American dining establishment generally found in the Upper Midwestern states of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. These establishments typically are located on the edge of town in rural areas [1]. They were traditionally thought of as a “destination” where patrons would go to spend the whole evening, from cocktail hour to enjoying night club style entertainment after dinner [2]. They feature a casual and relaxed atmosphere [2]
Supper is very common in the South.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Only in Texas baby!

They say "Washeteria" in Alaska, too.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:17 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Awrite, Awrite!. Yeah, I forgot about Lagniappe.

If I bolded it, it's said down here and it's been said down here since before I can remember.

People say that here too.
ppl take our slang. they have done that since before you could remember.

same with the bay area. the difference between what you know of in n.o. and what is said here is some of the things on my list have been said LOOOOOONG before you guys down there ever thought about using the words. i can also guarantee that you don't hear those words on a regular basis like you would here.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
ppl take our slang. they have done that since before you could remember.

same with the bay area. the difference between what you know of in n.o. and what is said here is some of the things on my list have been said LOOOOOONG before you guys down there ever thought about using the words. i can also guarantee that you don't hear those words on a regular basis like you would here.
nobody TAKES anybody's slang. that's the way language works, by different dialects of different regions influencing one another.

because new york itself "takes" many different aspects of many different cultures from all over the world. so let's not act like it's some original creation in and of itself that everybody just "takes" from

just like how you have a lot of kids up north trying to talk like they're from the south, now (and don't try to deny this because i have seen it)

Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 AM
eek

don't act like ppl from down south haven't been trying to be nyers since 1979 (at least) when it comes to hip hop.

don't act like you didn't try to dance like us, talk like us, look like us, etc. all throughout the 90's and up until 2005ish.

don't act like ppl haven't been using our slang left and right like we're the bay area for the longest.

don't act like ny isn't full of transplants, either. for the record tho, from *MY* personal experience, there aren't too many nyers that try to sound southern at all, period.

and yeah, ppl take ppl's slang. slang gets passed around the whole nation/world but there are cases where ppl are forcing it.

a lot of what you see in ny is an "original creation" so don't sit there with your lip poked out because where you're from isn't as original.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
don't act like ppl from down south haven't been trying to be nyers since 1979 (at least) when it comes to hip hop.

don't act like you didn't try to dance like us, talk like us, look like us, etc. all throughout the 90's and up until 2005ish.

don't act like ppl haven't been using our slang left and right like we're the bay area for the longest.

don't act like ny isn't full of transplants, either. for the record tho, from *MY* personal experience, there aren't too many nyers that try to sound southern at all, period.

and yeah, ppl take ppl's slang. slang gets passed around the whole nation/world but there are cases where ppl are forcing it.

a lot of what you see in ny is an "original creation" so don't sit there with your lip poked out because where you're from isn't as original.
the place in the south where you'll hear kids saying stuff like "b" or "son" is really out in the suburbs, in *MY* experience (or if we're making fun of new yorkers lol). throughout the 90's much of the world was influenced by new york hip hop but the south has ALWAYS had it's own style. when artists like ugk and outkast first emerged, they were NOTHING like what was coming out of new york. nothing whatsoever

and most of hip hop used to be heavily influenced by new york street fashion, but not no more. hell, y'all still wear timbs up there, but nobody down here rocks that played mess

Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 AM
eek

ppl from the south aren't allowed to tell somebody from ny whats "in," as far as fashion, i'm sorry.

you guys are like a half decade (at least) behind on a lot of things in fashion. thats another topic tho.

your favorite rappers were on that 542423 sized too big jeans til wayne started biting uptown dudes and rocking schmedium clothing which made it ok for the rest of you to follow. lets be honest.

and i don't know anybody that rocks tims. then again, i'm 26 with a job, so...

Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
ppl from the south aren't allowed to tell somebody from ny whats "in," as far as fashion, i'm sorry.

you guys are like a half decade (at least) behind on a lot of things in fashion. thats another topic tho.

your favorite rappers were on that 542423 sized too big jeans til wayne started biting uptown dudes and rocking schmedium clothing which made it ok for the rest of you to follow. lets be honest.

and i don't know anybody that rocks tims. then again, i'm 26 with a job, so...
lol, this has obviously become personal for you. timbs are played. get over it. down south the only people that wear timbs are those homothugs

and just for the record, people being influenced by hip hop doesn't mean they're trying to be like new york. cause then i guess new yorkers are trying to be like new orleans with all the jazz, right???.....speaking of which, hip hop slang has it's origins in early black "hip talk" which is most closely associated with jazz cats from way back in the day. and jazz originated where? you got it. THE SOUTH. so if i really wanted to be petty like you, i could sit here and say that ALL of contemporary black culture was bitten from the south

Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 AM
eek

lol i'm good tho. how is it personal for me? you're the one that came at me like i hurt your feelings in the first place. nobody even mentioned al green. i was talking to westbanknola before you butted in the convo.

second, you don't know whats played and whats not. only a handful of southerners have decent fashion sense. IMO anyway. i know mad ppl from the south will disagree but yeah...and i mean that in comparison to somebody from ny. its like you guys just put on whatever. its not about brand names either but how you wear your ****. hard to explain but easy to see.

enough of that tho, ppl here aren't rocking timberlands like that. this isn't 1995.

i suppose we're all still rocking uptowns, pinwheel fitteds and throwback jersey's according to you, huh? lol.

even if we were rocking tims like we used to, which we are not, you can't compare winter fashion here to winter fashion there. how many northfaces you got?? none, right? how many scarves you rock in the winter? how many days do you rock a hoodie under a coat? probably none. the weather is different.

if you wanted to be petty then you should give props to africans which originated most of the **** in black music you see now. you get the point tho. you guys bit us for the longest, whether it be in fashion, music and now slang. no need to get bent out of shape over it. you're good.

do you. i mean us. like you usually do. you got the glow/juice/whatever in hip hop now. what you salty for??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.