Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,571 times

Advertisements

In our area, the roads have to be fixed. I-26 from Summerville to I-526 is getting widened, but it is a parking lot most mornings and late in the afternoon.

We need a light rail or commuter rail system between Charleston and Summerville, connecting the two cities, and perhaps some streetcar service locally to all the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM

288 posts, read 919,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
An extension of the light rail San Diego Trolley system
I agree; it'd be great if Balboa Park and the uptown neighborhoods, UCSD, and Sorrento Valley were connected. Maybe the beaches too, since they're densely populated.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,194 times
Off the top of my head, I can think of some.

More Mass Transit. Especially, another direct route from New Jersey to Midtown Manhattan. Also, another subway line on the Eastside!!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I drove through 35W/494 twice today. At about 11 a.m. and at about 3 p.m. both times traffic stopped completely. Traffic was horrid today, took me just over an hour to get to downtown from Lakeville.

I know that have a whole plan to redo the interchange on the MNDOT site, the only problem is $$$.
While we piddle around for funds however, the city, county and state are losing money from diminishing returns on inefficient economic investments, such as slow traffic or low capacity that reduces transportation of goods and services. Sometimes I don't think governments understand that cost centers like infrastructure are INVESTMENTS as well!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times
I would say transit expansion for Chicago. Namely the Circle Line and extending the Brown Line train to the airport.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
While we piddle around for funds however, the city, county and state are losing money from diminishing returns on inefficient economic investments, such as slow traffic or low capacity that reduces transportation of goods and services. Sometimes I don't think governments understand that cost centers like infrastructure are INVESTMENTS as well!
Exactly. Also, the south side of 494 between M.O.A. and 169 (or so) has some of the most valuable/productive land. If people can't get to work or get their product out, it makes no sense to be there.

EDIT: And don't forget the airport is nearby too.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM

840 posts, read 2,087,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Completing the I-485 outer beltway, extending LYNX light rail
Also updating both of the 277 Interchanges with 77, I think the John Belk portion should be updated first, the Par-Clo interchange is dangerous and there is there is to much merging at the interchange.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Exactly. Also, the south side of 494 between M.O.A. and 169 (or so) has some of the most valuable/productive land. If people can't get to work or get their product out, it makes no sense to be there.

EDIT: And don't forget the airport is nearby too.
the land value would skyrocket too if the infrastructure upgrades were made and traffic flowed more smoothly and entrance and exit ramps were safer.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Portland has some well-known problems with bridges, especially the I5 bridge over the Columbia River. That quite badly needs to be replaced and expanded, hopefully with rail lines as well.

But the city's port facilities and harbor need a lot of attention as well. I'd like to see more dredging, both around Portland itself but also up the entire Columbia navigation channel to the Pacific Ocean. The port has potential to manage much more traffic than it does, but is limited by channel depth and other facility limitations.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 PM

I imagine that ANY bridge problems today are being seriously considered and immediately addressed, precisely because of the Minneapolis bridge collapse. It's scary to think that America could literally crumble to death if we don't find a way to pay to renew our infrastructure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.