Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM

25 posts, read 36,467 times

Advertisements

Around my area, you will see a number of people with their costumes out. The people going to the parties and bars. The kids that trick or treat are usually out around the afternoon and normally finish before night falls. I usually go out to the city for Halloween with some friends and dress up. Almost everyone in the city is dressed in a costume. Very fun at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
It is usually cold in our area of northwest Minnesota....in the 20s or 30s Halloween eve....trick or treat 6 pm til 830 pm.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 PM

517 posts, read 1,319,058 times
Halloween in the Bay Area used to be awesome, this is what it looked like on Halloween night in the Castro district in SF. They shut it down 2-3 years ago because the SF PD complained that the crowd got too large to control...ohh and some people got stabbed and shot lol.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2006/11/02/mn_halloween_castro.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
In the neighborhoods there's a lot of the typical kids trick or treating. No meanness or anything, just kids having fun. The little ones usually start before dark, and the older kids get started after the sun goes down. The weather is usually cool, but not cold. Also, for the adults and kids too, Oklahoma City has a huge Halloween parade downtown. It's usually on the Saturday night before Halloween. It's called the Ghouls Gone Wild Parade. It's a wild and fun time. Its hosted by the rock band The Flaming Lips. The parades finale is called the March of 1000 Skeletons. It is 1000 peopled dressed up as skeletons carrying flaming torches, with the Flaming Lips coming at the very end, with the bands front man, Wayne Coyne, walking down the street in is famous human hamster ball thing.

YouTube - Discover Oklahoma - Ghouls Gone Wild

YouTube - Ghouls Gone Wild 09

Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Wow, the Castro pics up there reminds me a little of Halloween on Frenchmen St New Orleans. I was lucky enough to be in NOLA for Halloween last year, oh maaan! Amazing costumes and vibe, too much was not enough (except for the young ladies wearing nothing but body paint!) It never felt out of control though, or threatening. Just a group of cool people having a great time. We ended up having breakfast in the quarter and got a huge shock to see daylight! I felt like a 20 year old again...it was pure magic.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:00 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I would think that the Day of the Dead celebrations at cemeteries would also occur in Florida especially in areas with large Hispanic populations.
I'm a South Florida native and we have a huge Hispanic pop., all my childhood friends were South American or Cuban, and I've never seen anyone celebrate Dia de los Muertos, Day of the Dead. I think it's a Mexican holiday actually.

As far as Halloween, OP I feel your pain. Christmas and Halloween are my favorite holidays but it's hard to feel festive when it's 85 degrees out. Halloween seems synonomous with Fall, cooler temps, changing leaves, ect and my area aint got none of that, lol. That's why I'm so excited about my move next Fall, it will be my first time ever living in a place with 4 seasons. Growing up here it did seem cooler out temp wise and in Plantation kids definitely went trick-or-treating but now because of crime and fear, kids seem to go to the mall instead although I did find some active neighboorhoods in west Davie but they are far and few between. I can't wait to go to my first pumpkin patch or go out on a hayride, ahh... one more year!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:25 PM

86 posts, read 174,662 times
wow.. very cool pics from the Bay and great video from Oklahoma... Seems like everyone has ups and downs to Halloween in their area. But over all everyone seems to have a great out look on the night...

Yes Kcee, I would think anytime you have that many people together something is bound to happen, but it looks like a lot of fun. I myself do not do/handle large groups well.

I wish you luck lilred on getting out, I'm trying to finish school so I can move as well. Florida does miss the over all Fall feeling as you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.