Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
Better question is are you joking? Do you think you can just stroll into North Carolina and flaunt a sickness in front of peoples children and not be shunned and recieved dirty looks? Newflash, North Carolina aint San Franscico. Im just trying to give you some advice
Damn glad I live in the San Francisco of the south. I am a 55 year old Lawyer in Atlanta. Good ole boys like you, are worse than what any gay person could flaunt in front of your sensitive eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
What part of NC do you live? By what city?

Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 PM

63 posts, read 93,987 times
Chitown, my family, both sides, are from the southeastern part of the state from fayetteville down to whiteville but i spent some time growing up in Franklin County 30min outside Raleigh. I can tell you unequivocally that the gay sickness wont be tolerated in Raleigh especially if it is flaunted in public. Folks dont want their children seeing that crap

Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcr1 View Post
I am a young gay male looking to relocate from New Jersey. I like it here, but it is too expensive, and too cold in the winter. I wanted to move to a southern city because it would be cheaper and warmer. I was looking at Atlanta, hearing it was gay-friendly. Any other suggestions?
dallas, houston, atlanta...take your pick

Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
St. Petersburg FLorida, Sarasota Florida, Tampa Florida,and Now, Orlando Florida as Well as West Palm Beach Florida

Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
Chitown, my family, both sides, are from the southeastern part of the state from fayetteville down to whiteville but i spent some time growing up in Franklin County 30min outside Raleigh. I can tell you unequivocally that the gay sickness wont be tolerated in Raleigh especially if it is flaunted in public. Folks dont want their children seeing that crap
Wow. Moderator cut: off topic/personal I would also bet that a vast majority of parents would rather have their kids witness two humans in love with one another versus seething hate. Lastly, I lived in Raleigh-Durham for several years and never once felt unwelcome as an out gay male. Jesse Helms and his ilk are slowly dying off, and North Carolina voted "blue" for the first time in a presidential election in 2008. It would seem your sickness is not being tolerated and not welcome to be flaunted in public.

Last edited by Bo; 01-06-2011 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
wow. Moderator cut: off topic/personal I would also bet that a vast majority of parents would rather have their kids witness two humans in love with one another versus seething hate. Lastly, i lived in raleigh-durham for several years and never once felt unwelcome as an out gay male. Jesse helms and his ilk are slowly dying off, and north carolina voted "blue" for the first time in a presidential election in 2008. It would seem your sickness is not being tolerated and not welcome to be flaunted in public.

amen.

Last edited by Bo; 01-06-2011 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 11-27-2010, 07:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Miami. The White Party is this weekend. Wilton Manors, in Fort Lauderdale is very gay friendly.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:49 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
The good ol boy is certainly a failing institution. Good ol boys used to say immigrants and minorities weren't welcome and most agreed. Oh how the times have changed.

JAGOB needs to get out of rural North Carolina and see 2010, or least 1985.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
OP Gay friendly cities is subjective. There will be some that are more so than others. I know I found some in Central Florida, smaller cities that are very gay unfriendly. You would think in Fla with decades of people moving in, that it would be the most open place. Its not at least in Central Fla

. You would need to stick to a city like Atlanta and some close in suburbs. Even there you could run into people that could make you feel unwelcome. The cities and Metro's in Southeast Florida might work for you, and you would need to visit to see how any of these places pan out for you.

As long as you make some contacts that hopefully become friends, and your welcome where you work you can make it work. At that point then gay friendly can be anywhere for you. Just remember visiting and living in a place are very different experiences. So plan accordingly and always try to picture your visits, as what life would be like for you living there. Never depend on doing touristy things, as a way to judge whether a place is right or wrong for you. I think you will find your place. Just take your time in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.