Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Wow. Moderator cut: off topic/personal I would also bet that a vast majority of parents would rather have their kids witness two humans in love with one another versus seething hate. Lastly, I lived in Raleigh-Durham for several years and never once felt unwelcome as an out gay male. Jesse Helms and his ilk are slowly dying off, and North Carolina voted "blue" for the first time in a presidential election in 2008. It would seem your sickness is not being tolerated and not welcome to be flaunted in public.
Not true. Its not this way in Charlotte but if rural NC is anything like rural Arkansas, homosexuality is considered the worst possible sin a human being can commit, even worse than murder. In Arkansas (Fort Smith area) if you are even suspected to be gay you have to constantly watch your back and prepare to physically defend yourself if need be. People wish death to homosexuals and celebrate gay murders and suicides in everyday conversation. Homosexuality in the rural South is no joke.

Last edited by Bo; 01-06-2011 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not true. Its not this way in Charlotte but if rural NC is anything like rural Arkansas, homosexuality is considered the worst possible sin a human being can commit, even worse than murder. In Arkansas (Fort Smith area) if you are even suspected to be gay you have to constantly watch your back and prepare to physically defend yourself if need be. People wish death to homosexuals and celebrate gay murders and suicides in everyday conversation. Homosexuality in the rural South is no joke.

That description sounds very similiar to Nazi Germany. In fact gays were imprisoned and murdered, along with the Jewish at the concentration camps. Thankfully the entire south isn't as drastic as your description of Ft Smith.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,573 times
You know, all these posts are somewhat ridiculous. Yes, you, or anyone will get stared at if you have 10 inch heels on and are a flaming "Queen", but every gay person I know leads very productive lives and NEVER has any trouble. They are people, like we all are. No one has the right EVER to judge anyone based on their looks or mannerisms. This thread needs to be shut down, because it has totally gotten off track.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
This southern gay guy gets along just fine both inside and outside the city. Most of my friends are straight.
Ditto. I have no problems anywhere in Georgia, which is not very different from North Carolina at all.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not true. Its not this way in Charlotte but if rural NC is anything like rural Arkansas, homosexuality is considered the worst possible sin a human being can commit, even worse than murder.
True. It's not that way in rural North Carolina. This POS who posted prior was an anomaly. Sure some of the old school townsfolks' tongues may wag about the "homo" (behind your back), but it's much more civilized than what you describe in rural Arkansas. It's not nirvana by any means, but there also isn't any fear of violence if you're not skipping down the street with wrists aflutter.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 AM

7 posts, read 13,586 times
Night life, or no nightlife, I was born and raised in the Atlanta area, and I'm a lesbian. I'm relocating to Asheville.
Let's see, a gay/ alternative male nightclub was recently raided and they treated all of the patrons there like they were all trash.
Atlanta has a LOT of violent crime. Asheville has more property crime.
Atlanta is very "hip hop", but has many other styles as well. If you want to stay in a very small area of Atlanta for awhile, then go for it. But honestly, ATL scares me. I'm terrified of being shot every time I go downtown. Plus there are SO MANY people, it's just ridiculous. Traffic is TERRIBLE. It usually takes me 40+ minutes to get to any part of the city (from another part of the city), and it should only be a 10 minute drive.

I just know we love mountains, love the natural/hippie style life, gardening, and meeting good people. Atlanta isn't out place. Asheville is.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiespeace View Post
Night life, or no nightlife, I was born and raised in the Atlanta area, and I'm a lesbian. I'm relocating to Asheville.
Let's see, a gay/ alternative male nightclub was recently raided and they treated all of the patrons there like they were all trash.
Atlanta has a LOT of violent crime. Asheville has more property crime.
Atlanta is very "hip hop", but has many other styles as well. If you want to stay in a very small area of Atlanta for awhile, then go for it. But honestly, ATL scares me. I'm terrified of being shot every time I go downtown. Plus there are SO MANY people, it's just ridiculous. Traffic is TERRIBLE. It usually takes me 40+ minutes to get to any part of the city (from another part of the city), and it should only be a 10 minute drive.

I just know we love mountains, love the natural/hippie style life, gardening, and meeting good people. Atlanta isn't out place. Asheville is.
Oh, come on now! Afraid of being shot every time you go Downtown? That is really beyond ridiculous.

You also failed to mention that the illegal police raid at the Eagle is going to cost the City over $1 million in damages, and the Police Department is being forced to reform certain procedures. City to pay $1 million-plus to settle Atlanta Eagle dispute *| ajc.com

A lot of people and a lot of traffic usually tend to go hand-in-hand with places of over 5 million, wouldn't you guess?

Good luck in Asheville.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Oh, come on now! Afraid of being shot every time you go Downtown? That is really beyond ridiculous.
Yes, that's very over the top.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 13,586 times
Hmm, it doesn't matter how much Atlanta has to pay for the Eagle's situation. I don't feel I failed to mention anything. It's the fact that they treated everyone there like they were trash because of their sexuality/ orientation. My comment had nothing to do with later legalities. I think Atlanta SHOULD have to pay that, now that you have brought my attention to it.

And of course I would expect there to be traffic with a city of 5 million people. It just isn't "MY" thing. I don't like cities that large.

Yes, I am actually afraid of being shot down when I choose to go to a club that is gay friendly in town. I don't mean in the nicer parts. But it's sad that I can't go to a club geared towards people who will accept me as I am because of the area it's in. Atlanta does have some nice establishments, and I'm not dissing on the fancy/nice/uptown part of ATL.

Thanks for the luck.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
To the OP: Seriously, you should look into the ma jor cities in Texas, particularly Houston and Dallas. Yes, Austin is liberal by Texas standards. The gay bars in Austin are not "ghettoized" in their own section and blend in with the straight nightlife. The only problem there is the fact that the city is very young and sometimes immature homophobe college kids can get obnoxious when they're drunk. Dallas (not the surounding area, but the city itself) is very liberal also and has a much stronger gay scene. There's restaurants, bakeries, book stores, even a gay sports bar. Check it out. Houston's Montrose district is very gay friendly, too. Even San Antonio is coming around (believe it or not). In short, check out Texas and don't listen to hate filled trolls on this board. Life is too short to dwell on negativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.