U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 6,434,616 times
Reputation: 1439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that would kill the republicans...
very few support increasing the legal immigration..

do a little research to see how many of the green cards go to mexicans.

Mexicans account for more than 30% of all green cards issued (three times more than all the rest of latin america combined.

altogether latin americans get more than 40% of all green cards.

so it is not like they are not getting as much as everyone else,, they are getting more.
I didn't say that randomly, it's from the Republican Marco Rubio, his strategy, pretty good I would say.
Republicans should support the legal immigration, really, it's good for the US, because :

Legal Immigration Is Good For America

It's normal to reject the illegal immigration, I understand.But to reject legal immigration that means "we're racists".They should be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I didn't say that randomly, it's from the Republican Marco Rubio, his strategy, pretty good I would say.
Republicans should support the legal immigration, really, it's good for the US, because :

Legal Immigration Is Good For America

It's normal to reject the illegal immigration, I understand.But to reject legal immigration that means "we're racists".They should be careful.
thats a load of crap.

If we are going to support immigration we have to support it equally. The latin side is already lopsided. They are already getting more than their fair share of green cards.

Marco Rubio is a politician. He would sell him mother to get elected. politicians say whatever will get them votes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 6,434,616 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
thats a load of crap.

If we are going to support immigration we have to support it equally. The latin side is already lopsided. They are already getting more than their fair share of green cards.

Marco Rubio is a politician. He would sell him mother to get elected. politicians say whatever will get them votes
Ahaha I'm agree.More asians and africans would be a good thing (and we can see an african immigration boom these last years in the US) to have more diversity.
I know indians are pretty upset because they're so many to want a green card but they must wait so longtime...A shame because many of them are educated and are an asset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
You're right, it's not an easy equation...Illegal immigration is a poison for republicans, they can't support it, too dangerous.But I know 3rd generation latinos aren't so pro-illegals, more like whites in fact.
Maybe republicans should target Asians first ? They're easier to attract because family-centric and pro-business, and Asians growth is very strong in some places like Nevada,Texas,Washington, Virginia, North Carolina, they can be an asset.
Maybe they should target black immigrants too ? They're not like African Americans, so maybe they can be more politically open ?

Democrats can be optimistic I think, the trends are good for them.The weak point : the economy.Democrats should be more pro-business (remember the Clinton years), and Obama understood apparently (trade deal with South Korea, he invited CEOs, his fiscal commission say the corporate tax should be lower because 35% is too much, 23% is advised).

The future will be very interesting in the US politically ! In European countries or Japan it's not hard to predict : a much older population, advantage to the right wing politicians, and shrinking youth (in Germany young voters are ignored, but retired are massively targeted )
I think you are confusing current happenings with the bigger trend..
Economy is number one, and we have been feeling it for more than 2 years now.

The republicans would be dead if things were not so sour. They have been losing ground on social issues.

you talk about targeting Asians and Blacks, but targeting them with what. Apart from issues on taxes, the blacks have very little in common with republicans. A lot of the programs that Blacks are in favor of are championed by the democrats.

Do you really think the republicans can push their gay marriage nonsense for ever? More and more people do not give a damn.

The republicans won a lot of seats because people were hurting and the democrats didn't seem to care enough.

Obama screwed up royally by pandering so much to the republicans.

He should have taken the Eisenhower route, he would be sitting pretty right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Ahaha I'm agree.More asians and africans would be a good thing (and we can see an african immigration boom these last years in the US) to have more diversity.
I know indians are pretty upset because they're so many to want a green card but they must wait so longtime...A shame because many of them are educated and are an asset.
Oh everyone has to wait a long time, its just that a disproportionate number of those cards go to latin america. In addition to that.

60% of illegal people in the US are from Mexico and another 30% are from other latin American countries.

so half the legal immigrants are latin, and another 90% of the illegals are latin, saying that we need to boost latin immigration does not make sense.

Yes, diversity makes wonderful cities. I would love to see more East Asian, African and South Asian people coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 6,434,616 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think you are confusing current happenings with the bigger trend..
Economy is number one, and we have been feeling it for more than 2 years now.

The republicans would be dead if things were not so sour. They have been losing ground on social issues.

you talk about targeting Asians and Blacks, but targeting them with what. Apart from issues on taxes, the blacks have very little in common with republicans. A lot of the programs that Blacks are in favor of are championed by the democrats.

Do you really think the republicans can push their gay marriage nonsense for ever? More and more people do not give a damn.

The republicans won a lot of seats because people were hurting and the democrats didn't seem to care enough.

Obama screwed up royally by pandering so much to the republicans.

He should have taken the Eisenhower route, he would be sitting pretty right now
I'm independant politically, but you're partisan there, it's not easy to answer...
Asians can vote republicans, because they're pro-business too.About blacks that wouldn't be so easy, but they can target black immigrants like Haitians, that'd be a beginning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I'm independant politically, but you're partisan there, it's not easy to answer...
Asians can vote republicans, because they're pro-business too.About blacks that wouldn't be so easy, but they can target black immigrants like Haitians, that'd be a beginning
I am not partisan. I hate both.
Eisenhower was a republican (from the Great State of Texas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,356,025 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Maybe republicans should target Asians first ? They're easier to attract because family-centric and pro-business, and Asians growth is very strong in some places like Nevada,Texas,Washington, Virginia, North Carolina, they can be an asset.
Maybe they should target black immigrants too ? They're not like African Americans, so maybe they can be more politically open ?
Again, most Asian American VOTERS (not the general population, but those that vote) are around my age. What people seem to miss about Asian voters is that despite the commonalities that could potentially be there with fiscal conservatism and family values, again they vote 60-40 for the Democrats. Aside from the Vietnamese, most Asian groups trend strongly for the Democrats despite the fact that there are now 2 Indian-American governors.

The easiest thing to do is stop making us feel like we're guests and not real Americans. How about that one for a change? That's why I don't like either party at this point in my life. One is openly hostile (at least to people like me because I'm a Muslim), and the other one feels that since I'm an Asian, I don't ever need help and barely acknowledges our existence. That's politics for you.


Quote:
Democrats can be optimistic I think, the trends are good for them.The weak point : the economy.Democrats should be more pro-business (remember the Clinton years), and Obama understood apparently (trade deal with South Korea, he invited CEOs, his fiscal commission say the corporate tax should be lower because 35% is too much, 23% is advised).
Yeah, but at the same time, it isn't the Republican strong point either. Look what 8 years of Bush did to us. That's what the average voter is going to be thinking. Correlation is NOT causation, but realize that when the first Bush left office in 1992, there was a budget deficit. When Clinton left office in 2000, there was an $800 billion surplus mostly due to the tech boom. When Bush II left office, well aren't we still feeling that one today? That's what the average voter is thinking.

The Clinton years WORKED because the Republicans AND Democrats both spoke to each other and worked out deals for the betterment of all. That's the real lesson in all of this. In this political climate, I'd like to be a bit more optimistic of that happening, but for now with how much fire the Tea Party is breathing, I won't hold my breath. I wonder how much will get accomplished with a Republican controlled House and Democrat controlled Senate. Sounds like 2 years of do-nothing!


Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Oh everyone has to wait a long time, its just that a disproportionate number of those cards go to latin america. In addition to that.

60% of illegal people in the US are from Mexico and another 30% are from other latin American countries.

so half the legal immigrants are latin, and another 90% of the illegals are latin, saying that we need to boost latin immigration does not make sense.

Yes, diversity makes wonderful cities. I would love to see more East Asian, African and South Asian people coming in.
Good luck with that. Then the hostility from the conservatives will just switch from Latinos to Asians and Africans. Look how much vitriol is being spat against Muslim Americans, despite the fact that we don't make up a huge percentage of the US population.

Don't worry about Latin American immigration taking over the US. Their birth rates are already shrinking (especially in Mexico where the birth rate is reaching US levels), and very soon, there wouldn't even be enough of them to come to the US. It's obvious that the countries that directly border the United States are going to be sending the most people here: that's just geographic reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

Good luck with that. Then the hostility from the conservatives will just switch from Latinos to Asians and Africans. Look how much vitriol is being spat against Muslim Americans, despite the fact that we don't make up a huge percentage of the US population.
conservatives already hate everyone, even themselves

Quote:
Don't worry about Latin American immigration taking over the US. Their birth rates are already shrinking (especially in Mexico where the birth rate is reaching US levels), and very soon, there wouldn't even be enough of them to come to the US. It's obvious that the countries that directly border the United States are going to be sending the most people here: that's just geographic reality.
It is already inevitable. the hispanic population is gonna increase from percentages in the teens a few decades back to over 50% in a few decades to come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,356,025 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

It is already inevitable. the hispanic population is gonna increase from percentages in the teens a few decades back to over 50% in a few decades to come
And at what point do they just become regular Americans like everyone else? What will it take for that to happen? Or are they always just going to be "Hispanics"

Given the propensity of Anglo Americans to marry Hispanic Americans more than any other racial/ethnic combination, their children to pretty much shed almost all traces of their Hispanic ancestry. I don't think it's going to be as bad as most people say. Hell, one of my childhood friends (a Mexican girl) just had a kid with an Irish-Italian dude and its pretty likely that the kid isn't going to be hearing that much Spanish in his household.

Marrying Out - Pew Research Center

41% of ALL interracial marriages are between Hispanics and Whites. How many of those kids of those marriages will be as paisa as the dude jumping over the border?

As generations move on, the Hispanic birth rate decreases to the American average. That's how it works. Things don't remain constant forever.
http://www.ppic.org/main/publication.asp?i=206
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top