Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it Make a Difference or not?
Yes 33 73.33%
No 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't like the proposal at all. The states have awkward shapes. The only proposal I have thought of myself before, is to consolidate all 6 New England states into one state called "New England." They're very small states and are fairly similar in culture and character. And, maybe consolidate Delaware, Maryland and Virginia into a single state called "Virginia."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Personally, I don't like the proposal at all. The states have awkward shapes. The only proposal I have thought of myself before, is to consolidate all 6 New England states into one state called "New England." They're very small states and are fairly similar in culture and character. And, maybe consolidate Delaware, Maryland and Virginia into a single state called "Virginia."
Actually, i'd split New England in terms of maybe North(VT, NH and ME) and South(MA, CT and RI).

You could call the latter, Delmarva, like the name for the peninsula.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Yeah, splitting Alaska in 2 parts is stupid o_o lol

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
New York (or whatever state had that city & metro) would become the most powerful state. California & Texas would both get screwed with this. So nope, just even trying to vision that wouldn't work out nicely for collective thoughts.
Honestly, Texas wouldn't be entirely screwed. We'd still have the Texas Triangle.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 AM

I'm not agree about states becoming irrelevant, they're essential, more might/power to the Feds would be a bad idea.More states = more competition = more ideas

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I would love for the Texaplex to be its own state (DFW to Houston to San Antonio though Austin back to DFW). The rest of the state (minus the Rio Grande Valley) sucks. The far right political views of the rest of the state totally screw the major cities over. Im not saying the majors are liberal, but they are more moderate.
And I guess you're this uber open-minded person; yet won't to cut off a great majority of the state because they don't agree with your views. Makes sense.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Ooooo -- I really like my new state of "Superior"! We get just about all of Lake Superior shoreline AND most of the existing northern forests in the country! Plus, the land of 20,000 lakes!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
And I guess you're this uber open-minded person; yet won't to cut off a great majority of the state because they don't agree with your views. Makes sense.
No, its because most of our extremist politicians come from outside the Texaplex and the Rio Grande Valley. Texas will never be able to become a moderate state while we still have yahoo's running out state. If youre happy with things like re-writing our public school education to reflect the views of far-right Christianity and being able to carry guns to school, good for you. Personally, I would rather not have to deal with those things.

I love living here, but I would love it more if East and West Texas would scram. I know thats not going to happen, so its ok.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
These cities are become great and dynamic because they know how to run an economy...Look at California : Greedy and ignorant politicians = Los Angeles near bankrupt ! So cool huh ?
And for your information : East Texas population growth began the last decade, Lubbock is become interesting and grow pretty quickly, some rural counties reborned because Texas invested so much in wind energy, and they invest more than ever in this moment.East Texas is an important part of the state.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
These cities are become great and dynamic because they know how to run an economy...Look at California : Greedy and ignorant politicians = Los Angeles near bankrupt ! So cool huh ?
And for your information : East Texas population growth began the last decade, Lubbock is become interesting and grow pretty quickly, some rural counties reborned because Texas invested so much in wind energy, and they invest more than ever in this moment.East Texas is an important part of the state.
What are you talking about???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.