Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
Prince Georges county consistently claims to be the wealthiest black majority county in the country. However, it's also considered to be the most dangerous suburb, having the worst schools, and even the applebees has to hire off duty cops (who are then shot and killed) to provide security at night. Large retail won't touch the area because of how crappy it is. You can buy a nice house on the potomac for 400K, where the same house across the river in VA will cost you 3-4 times the amount. The pinnacle of black society is literally as bad as it gets for the burbs around here.
Yeah but that's not ALL of PG county. Go outside the Beltway and there's plenty of nice safe black suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM

950 posts, read 1,514,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sad but true.

The Wayans Brothers were trying to build a movie studio in Oakland a while back and I went to a mixer they were at. Anyway the 2 younger ones(forgot their names) were telling me how they couldnt believe that Oakland had so many "Huxtable" like Black folks. LOL.
Oakland also has a lot of "Menace To Society" like Black folks, hence why that city has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,601 times
I wonder why Uniondale is on the list and not some areas in Queens?

Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,437 times
What you mean to tell me all blacks don't live in run down, crime ridden, ghetto hell holes??

Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Talking Suburban St. Louis

I know of many unincorporated areas of N. St. Louis county that are predominantly black that are middle class like Black Jack and further North that are more affluent that are over 50% black N. of hwy 67 or lindberg.

I would agree with other post that says that most top 100 metros have some type of wealthy black community. I would also agree with their being many "huxtable" types in Oakland Ca.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Comparing black communities by income levels and not taking into account the differences in costs of living can be very misleading. 60k in Maryland doesn't go as far as 50k in Georgia, for example. Also, higher incomes do not necessarily equate to more "wealth." A person saving money on a 50k salary would probably be better off than a person making 100k that is financially strapped. A better title would be "Highest Income Black Communities in the U.S."

I've lived in Prince Georges County, inside the beltway. It is not utopia, but it is definitely better than SE D.C. (although that may be changing as many SE residents spill over). As mentioned in another post, a lot of the better areas are located outside of the beltway.

Also, some of the cities on your original list are far from "affluent." They may live comfortably and within their means, but that does not mean the same thing as affluent.

I believe every metro area with a significant black population has at least one stable, desirable neighborhood with a majority black population. Even Gary has solid middle-class neighborhoods. They're not the norm of course, but they exist, and have existed in the past.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Comparing black communities by income levels and not taking into account the differences in costs of living can be very misleading. 60k in Maryland doesn't go as far as 50k in Georgia, for example. Also, higher incomes do not necessarily equate to more "wealth." A person saving money on a 50k salary would probably be better off than a person making 100k that is financially strapped. A better title would be "Highest Income Black Communities in the U.S."

I've lived in Prince Georges County, inside the beltway. It is not utopia, but it is definitely better than SE D.C. (although that may be changing as many SE residents spill over). As mentioned in another post, a lot of the better areas are located outside of the beltway.

Also, some of the cities on your original list are far from "affluent." They may live comfortably and within their means, but that does not mean the same thing as affluent.

I believe every metro area with a significant black population has at least one stable, desirable neighborhood with a majority black population. Even Gary has solid middle-class neighborhoods. They're not the norm of course, but they exist, and have existed in the past.
Exactly........ Even in Upstate NY, neighborhoods like Hamlin Park in Buffalo, the southern half of Rochester's 19th Ward and much of Syracuse's Salt Springs neighborhood would be examples of said neighborhoods.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Oakland also has a lot of "Menace To Society" like Black folks, hence why that city has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country.

Yes, because we all know the only people murdering and getting murdered on the streets of Oakland are black people

The fact is that Oakland has one of the largest wealthy black populations in the country. Deal with it.

What never ceases to amaze me is how loudly a lot of white people will scream at the notion that black people are as socio-economically complex as white people. Whenever you bring up broke white people, there's a convenient label for "those other white people" so that they don't feel connected to them, but if you ever try to talk about the existence of wealthy black neighborhoods then there will always be a white chorus of "that aint wut Deebo frum Friday sed." I swear people like you are so incredibly see-through to everybody but yourselves smh

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 05-17-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
A lot of the replies in this thread are nothing more than a perpetuation of the white notion that black people must "prove themselves to the rest of America" that they're not like the only black people they've ever been exposed to on TV (*cough* Cops *cough*). The idea of a wealthy black neighborhood - or wealthy professional black people for that matter who didn't have some heart-wrenching ghetto rags-to-riches story attained through sports/acting/rapping - literally looks like an oxymoron to a lot of the people on here. They're often the same people who get defensive when people call them out for their viewpoint on black people being based on watching Cops.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly........ Even in Upstate NY, neighborhoods like Hamlin Park in Buffalo, the southern half of Rochester's 19th Ward and much of Syracuse's Salt Springs neighborhood would be examples of said neighborhoods.
Here's an interesting article about Hamlin Park and it's changes: Buffalo's Historic Neighborhoods: Hamlin Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.