Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Screw peoples' perceptions.....it's their loss! I've seen a lot of this country, and there is NO WAY that the Midwest is the worst place in the country!
Many areas of the Ohio Valley sure aren't that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Is this a serious post? So according to you, in addition to the other claims of terrible weather and rust-belt economies, we have:

1. High racial tensions.
2. Exclusion of free thought and creativity.
3. Terrible places to raise families. This is the Midwest we're talking about, right?
Many people get sucked into the low cost of living paradigm and have families at a young age in the Midwest. Then, they realize they will have a much harder time moving to other higher cost of living cities with more career growth potential. I know too many people who get trapped in these "low cost" places and it often takes them quite some time to be able to make a move as they realize housing prices hardly ever increase in the Midwest either...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:59 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
It's cold half the year. Probably 2/3 the year in the rust belt. Generally boring.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Is this a serious post? So according to you, in addition to the other claims of terrible weather and rust-belt economies, we have:

1. High racial tensions. check
2. Exclusion of free thought and creativity. check
3. Terrible places to raise families. This is the Midwest we're talking about, right?

Yep. Particularly the rustbelt corridor... not necessrily places, just moreso the kind of environment there.... I personally wouldn't want to raise a family.....

Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Many people get sucked into the low cost of living paradigm and have families at a young age in the Midwest. Then, they realize they will have a much harder time moving to other higher cost of living cities with more career growth potential. I know too many people who get trapped in these "low cost" places and it often takes them quite some time to be able to make a move as they realize housing prices hardly ever increase in the Midwest either...
This doesn't make sense. So a low cost of living is a bad thing? I know plenty of people in high cost cities who are trapped into renting or bad mortgages. I also know plenty of professionals in the rustbelt who do pretty well in their careers, and their houses were never part of the bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
Yep. Particularly the rustbelt corridor... not necessrily places, just moreso the kind of environment there.... I personally wouldn't want to raise a family.....
I grew up in pretty much the heart of the rustbelt and think your comments are laughable. Where do you live that has such great schools, racial harmony, creative individualism, and is a great place to raise a family?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,576 times
Wouldn't it be because the midwest has long been dependant upon manufacturing/farming/blue collar/low-tech type jobs and most of those in this country are being shipped off to other countries now, along with the fact that we are importing a major portion of our food sources rather than growing them ourselves???

In a nutshell--- it's because our own government and corporate America are choking the life out of this country bit by bit and the heartland is just the first part to die off.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Wait, one of the big reasons people say they move to the South is because of low cost of living compared to places up North, including Ohio, so how is it that low cost of living suddenly a negative? Second, it is a GOOD thing that housing prices are relatively stable, as they don't enter into the housing bubbles that later collapse, as we saw the last few years in most parts of the country. Values may not grow as fast, but they also do not plummet either.

I think some of you are using double standards here and are trying too hard to find reasons to bash the Midwest.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Race is a double whammy for the midwest. Excessive unearned money for housing in the last decade exacerbated white flight in its old, industrial cities. But the Midwest as a whole is still overwhelmingly white, so it gets made fun of and looked down by people outside the region for whom making fun of white people is a way of life. They use code words like "lack of vibrancy" and "lack of creativity," but we all know they mean there just too darn many white people for them to feel proud to live there.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post
Wouldn't it be because the midwest has long been dependant upon manufacturing/farming/blue collar/low-tech type jobs and most of those in this country are being shipped off to other countries now, along with the fact that we are importing a major portion of our food sources rather than growing them ourselves???

In a nutshell--- it's because our own government and corporate America are choking the life out of this country bit by bit and the heartland is just the first part to die off.
And labor unions, the manufacturing jobs that do remain are moving to 'right to work' states.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 AM

739 posts, read 1,187,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
This doesn't make sense. So a low cost of living is a bad thing? I know plenty of people in high cost cities who are trapped into renting or bad mortgages. I also know plenty of professionals in the rustbelt who do pretty well in their careers, and their houses were never part of the bubble.

I grew up in pretty much the heart of the rustbelt and think your comments are laughable. Where do you live that has such great schools, racial harmony, creative individualism, and is a great place to raise a family?
I'm not saying that where I live is euphoria. But from my personal experience from being in the midwest; The kind of environment that I'm speaking of is one that wreaks of exclusion, cliquish, and the kind of environment where racial tensions are a lot more tense. What I've seen, harder for people of certain demographics to navigate through. People seem tightly wound up there.

As far as creativity, again from my experience, if someone is different and operates outside of that parochial view that is prevalent there, it just makes for a very toxic place to be.

I've been in and thru the midwest: Indianapolis, Columbus, Chicago (my favorite city of the entire region) St. Louis and Milwaukeee. St. Louis, imo, was by far the worst. It is a place that for me personally, I would not want to raise my family. I'm basing this strictly on my experience(s). What I saw.

Sorry if people are offended, but that's what I saw and how I feel about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.