Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 PM

115 posts, read 319,304 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
As a recent college grad, I'm seriously considering moving to a large city and selling my beat up old car. It seems that large cities really do have more career options, especially since I don't have work specific experience in those fields yet. I'm looking for a way to cut down on expenses (I already live super frugal). Perhaps maybe a few of you could suggest a city that might be worth researching? I've already done lots and lots of research and read through 100s of forums, but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I have a few questions:
1. If you have moved from a car-dependent area into a city where you ditched your car for public trans. are you glad that you did? Did you find it easier to save money? Did you get claustrophobic and feel like you are confined to just the city (and not it's beautiful surroundings?)
- I do love my Saturday mornings drives through the country-side, coffee in hand (I promise, the other one is on the steering wheel ).

2. Which cities do you find attractive that offer this option to live/work solely from public trans.? Rail/Subway/Buses that run well into the night that are located extensively throughout the city?
- I know NYC, Boston, and Chicago would fit this perfectly, but honestly, those cities are too large for me. I need to breathe a bit, to have more of a laid-back type of city.

3. After the cost of no car is accounted for, the higher cost of living, and the higher paycheck that cities provide, do you feel like it is easier to save money in larger cities? Or would a small city with low traffic, and low COL (and a smaller paycheck) still be cheaper with a car, from your perspective/experience?

Also, the city really needs to be safe. I've lived in Orlando for a few years, and felt that at night I always had to “watch my back”. I didn't like it, and even got robbed! Other than public trans., safety is a huge factor! I can deal with whatever climate/weather....I can find friends in any city....and I couldn't care less if its a “blue or red” city, but safety is priority!

O, and it would be super nice to have a city with lots of trees and parks. I love nature! Dog-friendly is even more of a plus. Quaint coffee shops and an outgoing population even better (you know, cities where people will randomly talk to you, as opposed to a cities where its harder to get to know people because its super cliquey).

Thanks to everyone in advance! Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:51 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,383 times
If those cities are too large for you, you're going to have to settle for a smaller city, and also - much less efficient or expansive public transportation as a result.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Yea...perhaps you could move to an outer neighborhood or neighboring city of one of those major cities? For example, maybe Brooklyn or Cambridge? I know those places are still large and busy, but they're out of the city center and will probably provide a more laid-back style of living you may be looking for...

Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Portland might work. Not really a "large" city although you seem to exclude large cities despite saying that you want to move to one.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Miami Beach could fit.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:52 AM

6 posts, read 7,450 times
Another shovel ready opinion piece.
Government doesn't create jobs (except for it's own growth),but it can sure impede or squash them.

[mod] snip[/mod]

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-18-2011 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Deleted gibberish at bottom of post.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Look into college towns as well, as they have low unemployment rates and tend to be walkable, with some having good public transportation. Ithaca NY and Burlington VT are a couple that come to mind.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Miami Beach could fit.
I am fortunate and telecommute full time and live in South Beach. My car sits in my building's garage and collects dust. I walk, ride the 25 cents local bus and peddle the DecoBikes that are scattered throughout the city.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Don't forget car-sharing programs like Zipcar. You could live in a city without a car, but still have easy access to a car for those times when you feel like a drive in the country. It can be tough to easily get out into "country" from many cities, though, or at least takes a bit of time. Check out Philadelphia. Urban but not overwhelming, a relatively good bargain for its size, nice access to nature, and it doesn't take long to get into some areas that feel pretty rural. For what you want, though, you're probably best off with a cheaper city and having a car. We ditched our car and have no regrets, but I prefer a more urban life. Consider Wilmington, DE; I wouldn't suggest living there without a car (although I did), but it's fairly affordable, has some beautiful parks, and it takes just a few minutes to get out of town and into truly beautiful rural areas (check out route 52), thanks in part to wealthy families like the DuPonts who didn't cash in and sell of their estates for housing. You can literally take the city bus out past fields with horses grazing. Lots of credit card companies and banks around there; I think every other person (or more) in our apartment worked for MBNA.

If you want a bigger city, Minneapolis is very leafy, dog-friendly, relatively affordable compared to the big cities listed, has a decent economy, and you can't beat the parks.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM

190 posts, read 202,191 times
Have you been to the Boston/Cambridge area? Boston really does not have a big city feel, although I must say I lived in the Cambridge area rather than Boston proper. I never had a car so I never missed it. The commuter rail whisks you away from the city and in 30 minutes you can be in very pretty, rural towns such as Lexington, Concord and Lincoln. The ocean and beaches are easy to get to too, and there is quite a bit of public transortation on Cape Cod. Seeing the world by walking rather than in your car is a wonderful way to experience your surroundings and in Boston/Cambridge, walking/ biking is the best way to get around. Plus as another post noted , Zipcar is a great resource for those times you want a car.
Boston is expensive. Mostly the housing, but otherwise there are lots of cheap/ free places to go, to eat. The convenience of being close to everything is worth it really. It is also safe. I was out late, often alone and female, seeing live bands a lot and I never had any problems.
Providence RI is a very compact city and charming. There is no subway, just busses.
If you can, live where can ditch the car. After a while, you will not miss the cost, the trouble of parking, the hassle of driving. It really can be very liberating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.