Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Maryland have more in common with PA, DE, Va, or WV?
Pennsylvania 15 26.32%
Delaware 18 31.58%
Virginia 38 66.67%
West Virginia 5 8.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM

201 posts, read 573,822 times

Advertisements

From experiences talking to other people it seems that, to most, Maryland is thee Mid-Atlantic in a nut shell. Living in Maryland all my life I have to agree. It's a really nice mixture of the best features from the north and from the south. In my opinion I think Maryland has the most in common with Virginia, but that's just me. I do simply because we share the D.C. connection, we share the Eastern Shore connection, we share the Appalachian connection, and we share the Southern connection.

So what do you think, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
DE is the most Mid-Atlantic state to me. in the middle of the two definitions of Mid-Atlantic. That being said, Maryland is the true border Mid-Atlantic State (north/south,) and I would have to say that both VA and PA have the most in common with the state due to their large borders and strong influence.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
DE is the most Mid-Atlantic state to me. in the middle of the two definitions of Mid-Atlantic. That being said, Maryland is the true border Mid-Atlantic State (north/south,) and I would have to say that both VA and PA have the most in common with the state due to their large borders and strong influence.
Mmm that's interesting. I was giving DE a close 2nd place because of how small the state is and the fact that it borders Maryland's entire Eastern Shore. But maybe that's because I think of the Eastern Shore as a very influential part of Maryland culture. The Northern part of Maryland besides Baltimore and Western Maryland seems to not have as much character so I never really saw much comparison with Maryland with Pennsylvania. But again that's just me.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 PM

10 posts, read 12,526 times
This really has nothing to do with this thread, but would you mind telling me the things that you love about living in Maryland? What area are you in? Is it affordable for lower middle income families? It looks like a beautiful place and we're looking to get out of Texas!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LollaLeeLoo View Post
This really has nothing to do with this thread, but would you mind telling me the things that you love about living in Maryland? What area are you in? Is it affordable for lower middle income families? It looks like a beautiful place and we're looking to get out of Texas!
Well i'm sure a lot of the folks in the Maryland section would love to help you (but since you asked) you can PM me if you want.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
I voted for PA but I guess it depends which part of which state. i live near the PA MD border, so I would probably have different viewpoint

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM

800 posts, read 780,720 times
Coming from an outside perspective I said Delaware. To me Maryland has very little in common with most of Virginia outside of NOVA, which is different itself from the rest of VA.

Its only a matter of time before the Is MD a Southern state? enters this thread.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Its only a matter of time before the Is MD a Southern state? enters this thread.
Seriously the "Is Maryland southern?" subject is dead to me. So I hope not.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
Depends on the part of the state.
WV = The Western panhandle
PA = The central parts of MD that are north of DC
Urban DE = The Baltimore and Annapolis areas are alot like urban Delaware (I should actually say urban DE is alot like urban MD, since MD is more populated and Baltimore is much more well-known than Wilmington)
Rural DE = Northwest part of MD's Eastern Shore
VA = South-central MD below DC
Southeast VA = Southern part of MD's Eastern Shore, this the part of the state that's the most "Southern"

Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 AM

316 posts, read 559,748 times
I would say we are more common with Virginia. The reason I said that is because both states have similar geographic regions and they are right next to the Chesapeake Bay.

Maryland geographic regions:
*Eastern Shore.
*Western Shore.
*Central.
*Western.
*Southern.

Virginia geographic regions:
*Northern
*Tidewater.
*Piedmont/Central.
*Southern
*Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.