Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I can’t speak for the original poster, but I think I know what he/she might be driving at. From a specifically CA perspective however, “shame” is not the most accurate descriptor. Perhaps “feeling unwelcome” is more apt, especially when traveling in the West. I think the reasons for this are many, primarily among those is a resentment caused by the sheer size and population of CA. There’s a palpable sense of “not another one of you”, which in itself likely has many explanations. The talk radio nonsense that shapes our political consciousness about the state’s fiscal problems also infects CA residents. CA is lazily blamed for everything, to the extent everybody ignores the hundreds of billions of dollars the state spends subsidizing more sparsely populated states. I’m as big as booster of this place as you will find. However, if you were raised with an appropriate sense of humility, you don’t travel and boast to the locals. There is a difference in being proud and being prideful, even though residents of certain cities and states notoriously wear the later as a badge of honor.

I think we all know who they are.
In truth, I believe the power-wielders along the coastal metro areas have ruined it for everyone else in CA.
As I said, it's only when I show my drivers license for whatever reason when I get the "unwelcome feeling" you mentioned.
However, the mode changes and lightens up when I mention that I live in the desert closer to NV and AZ.
The discussion also brings things closer together when we start talking about all the "sissyness" of either the LA or Bay Areas and how their decisions have a bad way of tentacling out towards the more rural areas of the state.
Like CA, I've found many other states have this same mentality of urban vs rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Kentucky ID? Hell yes, I'm ashamed. I can't wait to flash one from above the river. I'll be so proud once I can call myself an Ohioan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.