Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,559,216 times

Advertisements

Hell no! I'm proud of my South Dakota license. For the first time ever I have a picture I'm not completely ashamed of. Of course, I make sure to cover up the fake weight when flashing that baby. LOL

Seriously, though. I have never given it a thought when out of state. I was never ashamed of my Nebraska license either. The only comment I've ever received was a casual "oh, you're from Nebraska..." in a few places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
I should've also added that I worked gate-security at a distribution facility from '04-'06.
After having been in CA for a great while and not having gone any place else up to that time, checking and seeing all these different designs of state DLs was an eye-opener to me.
Some were about as dull as the ones in CA, others were flamboyant and creative as can be.

I'll admit that for awhile I had some state pride, but after being exposed to the outside world, my allegiance began to grow soft.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I can't remember anybody ever looking at it or asking for it. I just swipe my credit card and get on with my business.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can't remember anybody ever looking at it or asking for it. I just swipe my credit card and get on with my business.
Well, I can always withdrawal a necessary amount of cash to last me until I need more. ID/DL check problem solved.

If there's anything I would/should be worried about as far as an out-of-state, Scarlet-lettering goes, it would be having different states plates when rolling through a particular area.
I'll just keep it at that to keep the obvious individuals from dancing on my behind!!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,943 times
Hell no.. I'm from Texas and I'm proud and I hope y'all hear my pride

Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Do not know if this has been posted about before, but I regularly drive across all states of the Southwest.
When I'm using my credit/debit cards, or buy certain things in say, Colorado or New Mexico, I feel all small talk is cool until they see my CA CDL.
I don't know if it's just me, but I feel just seeing the word CA on top of it makes me appear as some sort of demon.
After that, I attempt to lighten the dark mood by telling them that "Hey, I was brought there as a toddler, didn't have a choice."

Anyways, it's pretty obvious I don't have any state pride so it goes good either way.
But for the rest of you that do have strong feelings for what you consider your home-state, does that ackward feeling ever arise often enough when having to show your own ID?
Nope, I miss having my MA license, always a good conversation starter at bars

Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Hell no.. I'm from Texas and I'm proud and I hope y'all hear my pride
You ought to be!!
Texas is the only statutory land-mass that looks like a NINJA STAR!!!
Or a shuriken if you want to be proper.
But still, nobody messes with your state when it's shaped like a kicker weapon!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
Showing my Pennsylvania CDL seems to be neutral, I think most know the state is bi-modal with both deeply urban and deeply rural characteristics.

The two previous states I lived in were Iowa and New York, and they both engendered different reactions as you might expect. Strangely, I lived in a much larger, more crime-ridden city in Iowa than the place where I was from in NY, and the Iowa residence was 2 hours closer to Chicago than the NY location was to NY City.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,262,781 times
i'm proud to be from va but i'm most proud of the picture. i was 16 when it was taken and i'm a stud in the picture.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:36 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
I HATED showing my Maine drivers license anywhere outside of Maine when I lived there. First, I didn't care to live there so I didn't like being associated with the state (it seemed people automatically looked at you like some sort of country bumpkin in bigger cities).

Second, it was very cheap looking and there were MANY places that either didn't take it at all, or requested other forms of ID.

Third, I thought it was painfully ugly (rainbow looking sunset with a Loon and "Maine" in tacky font along the top).

and Finally, It ALWAYS prompted some sort of snide comment like "Maine, huh? I didn't know people lived there." or "Aren't you guys part of Canada." or my favorite "Don't they sleep with animals up there?"

Sure, plenty of those are the result of ignorant people and not the fault of the Maine ID, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant.

Now my Massachusetts ID is much simpler (and real) looking and much more widely accepted. There's very little fanfare involved with showing it out of state and most people don't comment one way or another. The ones that do comment jokingly assume I'm a "Ma**hole." I can live with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.