Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,100 times

Advertisements

Do not know if this has been posted about before, but I regularly drive across all states of the Southwest.
When I'm using my credit/debit cards, or buy certain things in say, Colorado or New Mexico, I feel all small talk is cool until they see my CA CDL.
I don't know if it's just me, but I feel just seeing the word CA on top of it makes me appear as some sort of demon.
After that, I attempt to lighten the dark mood by telling them that "Hey, I was brought there as a toddler, didn't have a choice."

Anyways, it's pretty obvious I don't have any state pride so it goes good either way.
But for the rest of you that do have strong feelings for what you consider your home-state, does that ackward feeling ever arise often enough when having to show your own ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Uhhh well, my skin is too thick for me to be bothered by what anyone thinks of my Massachusetts residency. I might be a little uncomfortable driving through rural Mississippi with Massachusetts liscence plates but I'd do it anyway. There are a number of Boston sucks threads here on the local forums. Some are compelled to get defensive and stand up for Boston. I think its a total waste of time, there are number of "______ city sucks" threads or "Why are the people in _______ so unfriendly" threads in most of the local forums here. If one can't get along with people or find even a little common ground with people in all 50 states, then that's just a personal thing and really shouldn't be your problem. I realize California is often demonized but I wouldn't hold it against you. Anyone who does is just bitter anyways.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Everyone in the west hates California...however why on earth would I allow some roadside gas station attendant make me feel intimidated or worse yet, 'ashamed'????

Gimme an effin' break. "Charge my damn card and you better not make a mistake." End of conversation.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Or if I'm with my younger brother in NM or CO, I just pay him back later and they shut up when he busts out his military ID.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I love showing my ID. I rep my state.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I love showing my ID. I rep my state.
Well, that's because Louisiana is one of those states that
states that is viewed as hard and nitty-gritty.
Same goes for the mountain states I'm so enamored with.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,818 times
It could be worse. People in New Mexico who travel out of state face the prospect of being told they don't accept foreign I.D.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Everyone in the west hates California...
That's not true. I love California. It still holds the same allure to me now as when I was growing up and dreamed of moving there.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Well, that's because Louisiana is one of those states that
states that is viewed as hard and nitty-gritty.
Same goes for the mountain states I'm so enamored with.
Hard and nitty-gritty? Outside of Orleans Parish nothing is known as hard and nitty-gritty.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Hard and nitty-gritty? Outside of Orleans Parish nothing is known as hard and nitty-gritty.
As in being more out-doorsy and living off the land-ish type of thing.
"Street-hard" is only good if you don't venture far from your own turf.

On another note, as much as I dislike the state I've been in since I was four, I don't want this to turn into another CA-Bash thread.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
As in being more out-doorsy and living off the land-ish type of thing.
"Street-hard" is only good if you don't venture far from your own turf.
Oh I see. That is a view much perceived when visiting and watching TV too much.
I get what you mean though and you're not wrong at all, I'm just not the type for people to relate that with, complete opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.