Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times

Advertisements

Just apply the idea in the video on state pride. Take it away George Carlin:

George Carlin on national and ethnic pride - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Why would anyone be ashamed of where they live?
How shallow can that be

Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
How shallow can that be
That's the "diversity" these people care so much about.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:36 PM

218 posts, read 840,070 times
Growing up (when I was young) in rural Virginia, and later spending the vast majority of my life (thus far) in Richmond, I've always considered myself a Southerner. I'm living in Louisiana now, though, and most people (especially those who have never been out of state) think I'm from the "Northeast". A lot of times, I get questions about snow or politics (the latter being from people who assume I'm from the DC area). So no, I don't particularly like pulling out my ID.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Never ashamed, everybody is from somewhere.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I love showing my ID. I rep my state.
^This.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
How shallow can that be
Ashamed? I don't know about that. But I can see how people don't like where they live and don't really want to dwell on it with someone looking at their ID. I felt that way when I lived in Maine. I wasn't originally from there, I couldn't wait to leave and I didn't really like the association because I wasn't really a Mainer.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
How shallow can that be
As the poster above me just put it, negative or embarrassing connotations with where you were raised.
For instance, I was first brought into the world of firearms when I was stopped over briefly in Utah and Wyoming during trucking trips in the past.
Due to the measured level excitement that was visible from me during my first shooting trip in '06 at the age of 23, the other shooters were just curious to "why so late in life?"
I mentioned being raised in the desert and having parents that didn't favor weapons a whole lot. Then I told them where the desert was located and they sort of took that to mind.

Anyways, I've already made a full vow to myself that once I've gotten to the point where I'm fully moved out of CA and no longer required to venture to or through it, then it'll be out of sight/out-of-mind.
Until then, I'll vent steam where I see fit so that it doesn't give me a stroke. You can only keep things bottled up for so long.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
How shallow can that be

I can’t speak for the original poster, but I think I know what he/she might be driving at. From a specifically CA perspective however, “shame” is not the most accurate descriptor. Perhaps “feeling unwelcome” is more apt, especially when traveling in the West. I think the reasons for this are many, primarily among those is a resentment caused by the sheer size and population of CA. There’s a palpable sense of “not another one of you”, which in itself likely has many explanations. The talk radio nonsense that shapes our political consciousness about the state’s fiscal problems also infects CA residents. CA is lazily blamed for everything, to the extent everybody ignores the hundreds of billions of dollars the state spends subsidizing more sparsely populated states. I’m as big as booster of this place as you will find. However, if you were raised with an appropriate sense of humility, you don’t travel and boast to the locals. There is a difference in being proud and being prideful, even though residents of certain cities and states notoriously wear the later as a badge of honor.

I think we all know who they are.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
It didn't really bother me, but I've had people make "Jersey Shore" related jokes when they'd see my plate or id. Typical remarks such as "Jersey stinks" is also common. Overall, most people have fun with their reaction when I say I'm from NJ- It's an easy target these days. No real hostility though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.