Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's the "South in general." I think the "hillbilly" image is specific to the "Mountain South" area. So mostly Arkansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia. North Carolina I think has veered away from that a bit due to things like the "Research Triangle." When the rest of the South is negatively stereotyped I think it's more "racist white-trash" than "backward hillbillies." At least traditionally that was the way. I think some of the "Old South" states, like Georgia and Virginia, received more of the "Moonlight and Magnolia" romantic image.

And it is right that Arkansas people will sometimes go with it. I originally came from the area that actually had some "hillbillies", the Northwest, and there was some feeling that what "foreigners" thought wasn't that important so if "playing hillbilly" got them to spend money it was worth it. Although the "hard-cursing/hard-drinking" thing wasn't really that common where I was at. People tended to be really intense Baptists and Pentecostals who drank way less than the Midwesterners I've known most of my life. White Midwesterners are some of the drunkest/most-alcoholic people in the nation, but I guess because they get drunk on beer they don't get the "Moonshine and chew" image or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.