Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Interesting...but why would you spend $175 on a pair of jeans when you can get a pair that looks somewhat like them (or at least presentable) for $40 or less from T.J. Maxx? (The jacket, on the other hand, seems reasonably priced, albeit on the high end)
TJ Maxx has a lot of irregular clothes. I don't really think it is fashionable. TJ Maxx gets what is picked over already from other stores. But you are right, it could be presentable. It definitely won't be current, it's always last seasons and picked through. And it's always mid range designers, nothing from a boutique, and certainly nothing couture. Though sometimes you can find some good stuff. I think we are seeing a disconnect though...dressed up and fashionable is different than looking nice and presentable. That is why I said DC really isn't that fashionable, as well as the other poster. We were highlighting the difference. Since it is close to you and maybe you have been there, Chicago is the same way, you'll have quite a few people who are dressed "nice and presentable"... but not that many people that are all too fashionable. A couple days in NYC, LA or Miami, you will know the difference very easily, it's obvious to me. There are only a few cities that put much thought into fashion to be honest on a whole.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 10-14-2011 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
TJ Maxx has a lot of irregular clothes. I don't really think it is fashionable. TJ Maxx gets what is picked over already from other stores. But you are right, it could be presentable. It definitely won't be current, it's always last seasons and picked through. And it's always mid range designers, nothing from a boutique, and certainly nothing couture. Though sometimes you can find some good stuff. I think we are seeing a disconnect though...dressed up and fashionable is different than looking nice and presentable. That is why I said DC really isn't that fashionable, as well as the other poster. We were highlighting the difference. Since it is close to you and maybe you have been there, Chicago is the same way, you'll have quite a few people who are dressed "nice and presentable"... but not that many people that are all too fashionable. A couple days in NYC, LA or Miami, you will know the difference very easily, it's obvious to me. There are only a few cities that put much thought into fashion to be honest on a whole.
To me, fashionable correlates pretty much with having money. In the D.C. area, the most fashionable people are in the most affluent parts of northern Virginia, D.C. and Maryland. But it's true there's an "edge" to actual fashion cities like NYC/LA/Miami that you don't usually have elsewhere.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To me, fashionable correlates pretty much with having money. In the D.C. area, the most fashionable people are in the most affluent parts of northern Virginia, D.C. and Maryland. But it's true there's an "edge" to actual fashion cities like NYC/LA/Miami that you don't usually have elsewhere.
Oh yeah. I'm not saying that DC and Chicago aren't in any way fashionable, they are. I mean they would put somewhere like Indianapolis or Richmond to shame. There is just a big gap to what is going on in those other 3 cities.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
NYC
Washington DC
Atlanta
Miami
LA
San Francisco
Seattle

whatta dumb question to be honest

every city has fashionable people and ugly people. including whatever that city was that u mentioned....Montreal.... yeah...that city

Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM

528 posts, read 1,185,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Boston? haha no...too frumpy

Haha, no again...maybe for that region of the u.s.

DC is more business suit types, not very fashionable. That isn't what the OP is talking about. They DO dress "nice" but it is pretty black/white, not fashionable.

OP... you would want to look at NYC, LA and Miami... those are your top 3.
I disagree. DC people are fashionable! People really invest in their suits here. Suits can be very fashionable. NYC is not as uniformely well-dressed as people think it is. It's over-run with hipsters now. Just ride around the nyc subway and then the DC metro and you tell me what city is better-dressed/fashionable.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
I guess if we're talking about "expressive" and all that, then yes... LA, NYC, Miami.

But just "expressive" doesn't equate to "well dressed" either... Sometimes that "expressiveness" is a failed attempt and unfashionable. There ARE many many many in DC that are cookie cutter conservative dressers (of the Wale look alikes) I agree, but what I was judging by was if I go out in DC, I can almost expect a certain level of class in dress to be maintained (ofcourse, depending on WHERE I'm going)... I've come across a LOT of surprises in NYC. People get a little irrate if they can't show up in sweats & Timbs sometimes, and they KNEW before they left their house that the place has a dress code!!! But now there's a problem out front killing the whole scene... I see too often pretty girls all covered up in ruggedness in NY. Ladies dress pretty nice in DC.

Now, I did however jump over thinking about LA. I would say LA wins hands down. But from my eyes (past the "expressiveness") DC beats NY. Oh, Miami is also up there with LA. I can agree to that also.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:28 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Default Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Women can dress well for cheap, much more difficult for men. Designers typically put more thought into lunch than men's clothes.
Well said!!!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Talk about Detour....America period! read each post. we dress uber cool in D.C. just ride our metro! Fashion appears to be one huge reason why most are in debt. A home or school debt I can understand But clothing. I enjoy fashion as many do but I prefer Positive credit,family,and life more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.