Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
So would northern New Jersey be considered NYC's inland empire?
No, I would say only parts of northern New Jersey. Zoning varies greatly by community in New Jersey and some of the outer edge counties like Sussex and Hunterdon have been good at keeping sprawl down. I would also say central New Jerseyis more sprawly than northern New Jersey. I have friends in Jackson Township and while I found that area to be somewhat sprawly and distant, I still like the area.

Also in the New York City area, I would add good part of central Suffolk (particually the inland parts of the Town of Brookhaven) on Long Island, parts of Dutchess County in the Hudson Valley and unfortnately, parts of Monroe County in Pennsylvania.

I say unfortunately because Monroe County is the begining of the Poconos. While outer edge sprawl is bad anywhere, it seems worse when it begins to move into a vacation resort area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
There are a few states in the midwest than can be considered the nation's "inland empire" without the racial diversity

Cheap and depressed housing
Hillbillies and rednecks
Jesus, Guns and Meth
Orange County California is a coastal version of the Inland empire

Lots of Republicans (since to some, Republican = hillbilly)

Lots of meth, gangs and white trash.... even the wealthy in Orange County are trashy because you can't buy class

Add Long Island to the list of places like the Inland Empire as well

Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Can anyone from the IE or anyone who knows about it enlighten me? What is the IE? Notable cities?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Also maybe Limeric/Morgantown/Reading area

Dont think there is a comparison in this area. Limerick is part o Montgomery county and Morgantown part of Chester county; both among the wealthiest counties in the country. Reading is more its own place, a small city getting absurbed by the Western burbs of Philly

Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Can anyone from the IE or anyone who knows about it enlighten me? What is the IE? Notable cities?
I'm from the IE.

It is the area directly east of LA and Orange Counties, within Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, south of the San Gabriel Mountains. Cities include: Riverside, San Bernardino, Corona, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana, Redlands, Moreno Valley, and on, and on, and on. I am the mod for the forum.

For Denver, it would be Aurora, and north and west up to Thornton. Basically where the working-class/long commuter class lives.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Chester county

Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
For Connecticut, I would say Fairfield County is the "Inland Empire" of NYC. The county alone has nearly 1 million people and extreme traffic conditions at all times of the day. However, I would say that it's quite as sprawling as other metro areas in the nation. The zoning laws are very unique in CT, in that it protects against out-of-control sprawling.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Chester county
Not a chance! Chester County is the highest per capita income county in Pennsylvania.

The overwhelming characteristic of the Inland Empire is a place that is far from the city but people live there because land and housing is less expensive. The people who live there aren’t necessarily rednecks or trashy or anything else undesirable. They just want more house for the money or just to own a house and in many cases they have been priced out of L.A. or Orange County. Understandably many have lower incomes then the folks who can afford to live near the coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
For Connecticut, I would say Fairfield County is the "Inland Empire" of NYC. The county alone has nearly 1 million people and extreme traffic conditions at all times of the day. However, I would say that it's quite as sprawling as other metro areas in the nation. The zoning laws are very unique in CT, in that it protects against out-of-control sprawling.
Again this is not accurate. No one moves to Fairfield County to save money or to find an affordable house. Most of Fairfield is a high income area.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The Bay Area's version of the Inland Empire should be the far east bay. Contra Costa County area. Like Antioch, Brentwood, & Oakley. The two regions are practically like twins. Diverse population, no jobs, suburban sprawl, strip malls, lots of families. Seems to me the only difference is one is mountains and the other is desert.
Yeah, and parts of Solano County on the other side of the Bay like Vacaville and Fairfield feel similar as well. Also, Tracy reminds me of an Inland Empire suburb as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd may add the Hudson Valley and in particular, Orange, Ulster, Dutchess and maybe Sullivan Counties.
you have never been to CA's inland empire have you? If there is any part of NY state that vaguely resembles the inland empire I would give it to the Syracuse area, and thats a stretch.

Besides the Hudson River valley is one of the most beautiful parts of the United States.

The inland empire is pretty much a smoggy, urbanized desert filled with jesus freaks, gang bangers, meth-heads and libertarian leave-me-alones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.