Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 09:28 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You didn't say that. You said (I think referring to Baltimore):

. . . without any language that would define "inland" or "port".
I spent over forty years in Logistics, I just assumed what I said was so common, everyone understood. So , if that is not the way you see it , well , sorry. I should have been more specific......guilty as charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 06:05 AM

690 posts, read 1,007,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well, that's a first for me.
Yeah me to.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Well, that's a first for me.
OK, here's an oddity of geography. Look at a globe or a world map. Find the USA. Then look to the east of it, and see the Atlantic Ocean. Then look at the whole Atlantic Ocean. It has a coast that runs all he way down from Labrador to Cape Horn -- it's a big ocean with a long coast. Then look back at North America, and see what parts of it are on that coast. That's the East Coast.

Look. Bathurst, New Brunswick , and Lake Charles Louisiana are both on the same coast. It's the Atlantic Ocean, even though in Bathurst it is called the Gulf of St. Lawrence and in Lake Charles it is called the Gulf of Mexico. It's still the Atlantic Ocean, and they are both east coast ports, because that's where that ocean is. Even though the water in that particular locality is called a gulf.

If you live in Baltimore and want to be a booster, you can call it whatever you want, but it's still the same coast.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-26-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 01:09 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,583 times
Quote:
OK, here's an oddity of geography. Look at a globe or a world map. Find the USA. Then look to the east of it, and see the Atlantic Ocean. Then look at the whole Atlantic Ocean. It has a coast that runs all he way down from Labrador to Cape Horn -- it's a big ocean with a long coast. Then look back at North America, and see what parts of it are on that coast. That's the East Coast.

Look. Bathurst, New Brunswick , and Lake Charles Louisiana are both on the same coast. It's the Atlantic Ocean, even though in Bathurst it is called the Gulf of St. Lawrence and in Lake Charles it is called the Gulf of Mexico. It's still the Atlantic Ocean, and they are both east coast ports, because that's where that ocean is. Even though the water in that particular locality is called a gulf.

If you live in Baltimore and want to be a booster, you can call it whatever you want, but it's still the same coast.
If you're talking about me I'm not trying to boost your trying to start something when there is nothing to argue. We already given you the definition of the east coast. A 6 year old knows Louisiana is a gulf coast state that's what it is. Everybody know what the west coast is. Everybody know what the east coast is but you. Even jerseygirl who's not from Baltimore it has nothing to do with Baltimore. If you don't know what I-95 is your not near or on the east coast.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 02-26-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 01:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:

Yeah I have nothing to do with Baltimore, I was referring strictly to your "East Coast runs from Maine to TX" thing. You're referring to the Atlantic Coastline of America which technically includes the Gulf. The EAST Coast refers to the states along the coast of the EASTERN United States, so ME to FL. Alabama to Texas is South, not East. It's the Eastern HALF of the country, but not along the East Coast. You're describing the Gulf Coast, or as it would otherwise be named based on East and West, based on the compass, the South Coast.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:44 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
which part? the whole quote you copied? O I see well historically speaking we all know at least I hope we know Maryland was considered a southern slave holding state. And if you say border line state then lets take it to the original 13 colonies. OK so that would make Baltimore the closest city to the north in latitude but in the south. Although I know today MD is consider mid atlantic or northeastern or whatever you want to call it don't want to start anything.
Lol, I was simply questioning how Baltimore was the northernmost southernmost city at the same time.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Lol, I was simply questioning how Baltimore was the northernmost southernmost city at the same time.
Probably a hybrid of northernmost southern city, and southernmost northern City.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I assume that means Baltimore is the farthest north city that is considered the South?

No? Am I wrong?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
I assume that means Baltimore is the farthest north city that is considered the South?

No? Am I wrong?
I would say that it's the southernmost city that still considered northern, but that's just me..

I've heard a similar statement about both Baltimore and St. Louis--cities that have "southern efficiency and northern charm"..LOL

Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've heard a similar statement about both Baltimore and St. Louis--cities that have "southern efficiency and northern charm"..LOL
Are you sure it's not the other way around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.