Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times

Advertisements

SLC would be a good one. Hot summers, usually 90+ with some 100+ days. I think it gets too hot, personally. But, the humidity stays low at least. Winters are usually snowy, but not overly cold. Lows in 20s, maybe a rare night in the teens. Though this winter has been unusually dry and warm. But, one nice factor is the mountains the city sits next to. A 30 minute drive from the city will take you into a cooler alpine area if it gets too hot. Or vice versa if it's not snowy enough in the winter that same drive will have you up at the ski resorts with lots of snow. Lots of sunshine also, but in some winters there are inversions down in the city. However if it bothers you just go skiing to get above it and find the sun again.

Pretty much any intermountain west area city has this type of weather so there are plenty of choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Since you mentioned BBQ, how does Kansas City sound? It gets hot in summer, and receives nearly 20 in. (50 cm) of snow in an average year.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Since you mentioned BBQ, how does Kansas City sound? It gets hot in summer, and receives nearly 20 in. (50 cm) of snow in an average year.
St. Louis weather is fairly similar to KC's, although it gets a little cooler in the winter. At one point St. louis got even more snow as well...at least from 1971-2000...1981-2010 is a different story...i've actually always wonder why people make such a big deal out of the weather based on 30 year averages...the difference between these two estimates is a mere ten years. Anyway...St. Louis is slightly warmer in the winter than KC, but only slightly. Windchills typically are not nearly as bad here.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
The phrase used was "warm and hot summers, with lots of BBQ at night."

A triple-digit heat index is not necessary for a warm/hot summer day, especially in comparison to England, and I don't know anyone who enjoys hanging out by the grill when it's 95 F and humid.

I'm not sure how you figure that. Even if that foot of snow falls all at once, you're still only going to have a pretty winter scene for maybe a week and good skiing for maybe three days before warmer temps and rain turn it all to slush.

I've met people who hate snow and people who love snow, but I've never met anyone who likes ice and slush. Skies are also much greyer in the Midwest when compared to SLC or Denver.

Really not trying to be a hater here, there are a lot of great things about the Midwest. Weather isn't one of them, even if you enjoy temperature extremes. Winter here might be a thrill compared to the Gulf Coast, but recreational opportunities and snow quality are far better in many places out West.
Indy is pretty much the same thing as far as snow...it doesn't stick very long there either. As far as warm/hot summers, that indicates to me that the poster is ok with either/or. You might be right about the west being more reliable and consistent with regards to seasons than the Midwest, although the ground typically stays covered by snow all winter with regards to the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan

Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Maybe Prescott, AZ or Albuquerque, NM.
I'll second this. Both areas have four seasons, occasional snow (and more in the mountains nearby), and eye popping scenery. Oh, yeah, I'd put Boise, Reno, and Salt Lake City in this category too. All are drier, if that is good (or bad).

Old 03-10-2012, 02:36 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Minneapolis, MN would be a good choice.

Snowy winters, warm (if not hot) and humid summers.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:32 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Chicago, Illinois, United States

Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Minneapolis, MN would be a good choice.

Snowy winters, warm (if not hot) and humid summers.
Seconded (86 is the average 10 year July high temp)....although not so much "hot", as "very warm".

Also:

Chicago (/Milwaukee?)
Des Moines
Omaha
Kansas City
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Columbus
Indianapolis
Richmond
D.C.
Baltimore
Philly
New York City
Boston
Denver

Worth considering: Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Eastern Washington! Check out Wenatchee, Moses Lake, Yakima, Chelan, Omak, Cle Elum, Kennewick, Walla Walla, Spokane, and many others on the eastern side of Washington State.
This is where I was going to say too -- the only place I can think of that has a nice, snowy winter and a nice, hot summer.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Pretty much any city in the northeast, mid atlantic, or mid west has cold winters and hot summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.