Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 PM

72 posts, read 152,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
"What about Phoenix?" I can't think of Maricopa County without images of Sheriff Joe, Frau Blucher, Russ Pearce and JT Ready coming to mind
Um yeah, Its been eliminated. I don't really know much about AZ. But I think I've gathered enough now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I wonder if this thread should be in the US forum?
Anyway, I've lived in the California and Colorado locations. My remarks are generalizations, just a little something to go on.

San Francisco, California ~ Yes it is very expensive. Loved it though. Yes it can be cool. I actually was freezing in LA just last weekend.

Boulder, Colorado ~ Very liberal indeed, somewhat of a self-congratulatory trustafarian tone to the place. You might consider Ft Collins or Denver, more of a mix, a bit less pretentious. You will get snow, and it can be kind of brown, but the sunny winters are not that bad.

Florida is a wacky state and probably always will be, but I love it here. I have not lived in Sarasota but have visited, and heard good things about it. Other liberal places to consider are Tallahassee (beautiful rolling hills and canopy roads) and Gainesville. I spent two years in northwest Florida (6 years total) and am now in northeast Florida (north of Jacksonville) and it *is* possible to be liberal and survive here.

Never lived in New Mexico but often visited Santa Fe and Taos. It's just that employment might be a problem. Well, employment is probably a consideration for any of these places. Another idea is Austin, Texas.
How can it be that liberal minded places have jobs problems? Should we adopt those programs everywhere so its fair adn we all have employment issues?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Warm liberal minded cities have job problems because so many young people flock there looking for work.

Knoxville is not a liberal mecca but you will find plenty of like minded folks to hang out with. Decent art and music scene. Plenty of outdoor recreation. The mayor is pretty liberal so that might give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

Two big plusses - 1. you might actually find a job as there are lots of video companies and HGTV*. 2. You aren't that far from home when it's time for a visit.

*like anywhere these days you need to find a job before you relocate.

Last edited by creeksitter; 04-14-2012 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: .

Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 PM

72 posts, read 152,384 times
Quote:
*like anywhere these days you need to find a job before you relocate.
Ofcourse. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll think about Knoxville.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Las Cruses NM is a good idea to consider too, very different from back east but near the mountains yet far enough south to be a mild climate. Close enough to El Paso to have easy air access to fly home etc. Its a nice setting too with the organ mountains near by and the history of being on the old trail rides for centuries.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Also, if you like a bigger city consider Nashville. East Nashville (which is actually north of the river) is a liberal community.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Check out Savannah. For a smaller city in the south, its downtown is crawling with liberals, artists, etc.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 PM

Do you think the competition from SCAD grads would put a crimp in the employment scene?

OTOH it's a great suggestion if she wants to go to grad school.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Do you think the competition from SCAD grads would put a crimp in the employment scene?

OTOH it's a great suggestion if she wants to go to grad school.
Perhaps.

I was thinking of Savannah more for it's climate and character. Unsure of the job scene there at this time, though it is slightly below GA's average. Still high in the 8% range.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM

Yes it does fit the OPs ideals. And someone else might be reading this thread with another career in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.