Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM

72 posts, read 152,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
I actually think Phoenix would work. Central Phoenix and Tempe have pretty liberal pockets and are represented by Ds in Congress (I understand that D does not equal liberal).

It is a large metro with more job opportunities and a low cost of living. Arizona as a whole is pretty libertarian in social liberalism. Some of the laws around are not representative of the population. Remember Russ Pearce was recalled.

I currently reside in the Bay Area and it is liberal to the core. It is nice as a progressive myself to be around like-minded people. This may sound odd, but I live my own personal life fairly conservatively. I just do not want to dictate what others do, nor do I want others to push their ideals about right and wrong on me. Arizona is pretty live and let live. There are ALL kinds of people everywhere. You would find a HUGE community of like-minded people in Phoenix.

I've lived in Tucson and my wife has lived in Scottsdale. We are planning a move back because most of the year it is too cold here, my wife really likes/needs sunshine and we enjoy swimming. We are choosing metro Phoenix for the additional job opprtunities, more family nearby, better transportation with Sky Harbor and the light rail. We love Tucson and it is more liberal than the ENTIRE Phoenix metro, but CenPho and Tempe are too. I think Mayor Stanton is awesome and moving PHX in the right direction. Hopefully, the state can get similar leaders.

Phoenix is greatly influenced by the large California cities and the culture from SF and LA can be found there at a much lower cost. I will be a proud progressive, liberal Phoenician. I think PHX is one of the most underrated cities on C-D.
Hmmmmm....You're making me rethink Phoenix!! haha.. Yeah I heard there's lots of jobs. And the weather is really appealing to me since I'm always freezing. I like that its close to Cali too. What do other people think? So far posters have only promoted Tuscon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Look no further than San Francisco. If that place isn't the bastion of liberal fanaticism then I don't know what is.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungProfessional9 View Post
What do other people think?
I think you better have your papers handy. AZ real batpoo craazy wingerville.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I think you better have your papers handy. AZ real batpoo craazy wingerville.
HA. Yeah doesn't have the best reputation.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I don't know if I've replied to this thread yet but if I haven't...

Do you have any other criteria?
Because even the reddest of red cities have blue neighborhoods. And many of those neighborhoods have a much larger population than tallahassee or gainesville, fl, WHICH, btw, aside from the students and teaching staff are as right wing as they get.

Unless you're preparing to retire, weather shouldn't be a big deal.
The places that are the most liberal also have to fewest opportunities or they have opportunities but they're extremely expensive.
And some of those liberal areas have some pretty regressive policies or they have right wing governors who have much different ideas. (Florida and Wisconsin immediately come to mind)

I'd suggest you stop fantasizing about some liberal mecca, becase even those places have loud mouthed right wingers and the first racist "NOBAMA" bumper sticker you come across is going to ruin your day and have you questioning your move.
I responded to your previous 2 posts. Im in no way "fantasizing" about a liberal mecca.. It was merely a way to generalize the post and point it in a direction. Obviously a lot of the South is more conservative than Ohio, so i thought it would be a good way to fuel discussion and ideas for me and my interests. I'm okay with moderate areas. The city I'm in now is pretty moderate, but Its too small for me. Not enough to offer.
And yeah, I'm over Florida...

Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Sacramento - liberal, cheap (for CA), hot

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Sacramento - liberal, cheap (for CA), hot
Hmm thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Absolutely! But also keep in mind, most of the west coast is expensive. Actually come to think of it, most liberal areas of the United States are expensive. What most people do is get a roommate. All you have to do is find someone who's renting a room off Craigslist. It will cost you $400-800 for a room depending on the area and how many people are renting out the other rooms. This will bring down your cost significantly. You CAN afford Los Angeles. Millions of other liberal-minded young people do. You won't get much better for your money and the weather like you wanted. You just have to hustle.
I have noticed this myself. Whats up with that? Even in a large area, the liberal side of town seems to be more expensive.

and remember, cali (which I would love) is super expensive. Housing, income taxes, etc...

Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 PM

475 posts, read 508,130 times
I would say LA. I live here and its the most liberal place you can ever find. A lot of people (including myself) are into a healthy lifestyle (im vegan). So if you dont mind living with a roomate try to find one and you'll be happy in this city.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I would say LA. I live here and its the most liberal place you can ever find. A lot of people (including myself) are into a healthy lifestyle (im vegan). So if you dont mind living with a roomate try to find one and you'll be happy in this city.
Really? That's so encouraging thank you. Honestly, I can't imagine NOT living with a roommate... How would I pay my student loans! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.