Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis/St. Paul, Portland OR, or Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I considered NYC and I can afford it but I don't want to spend that kind of money. I'd spend at least $2500-$3000/month for a place that I'd be happy with.

I still want to live in an urban area with nice entertainment. A city with at least 500,000 or more. Decent downtown and nic year around events.

I like lofts for my living space. Nearby water would be cool but not a must.

Where would you live? OR should I say, where could I live. I'm a single 38 y/0 male and I have no children.
Philly. Lots to do. Affordable. "Nearby water" comes in two forms - two rivers within the city and, of course, the Atlantic (2 hrs away). Plus, you're about 2 hours from NYC.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I considered NYC and I can afford it but I don't want to spend that kind of money. I'd spend at least $2500-$3000/month for a place that I'd be happy with.

I still want to live in an urban area with nice entertainment. A city with at least 500,000 or more. Decent downtown and nic year around events.

I like lofts for my living space. Nearby water would be cool but not a must.

Where would you live? OR should I say, where could I live. I'm a single 38 y/0 male and I have no children.
If you want to live in NYC without the NYC cost, consider Hoboken, NJ. It is still pricey by most standards, but hlaf of what you would pay in parts of Manhattan. its a quick ride via PATH into the city.

Chicago would be my next suggestion.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Chicago or Seattle

Old 04-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Atlanta, miami, new orleans, dallas, houston, san diego

Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themingo View Post
I'd suggest Louisville. I know it's not first on ANYONE'S move-to list, but it's where I grew up, and the downtown area (especially Market St.) is currently booming. Tons of lofts with great downtown and river views, and tons of new restaurants and businesses popping up in the area now called NuLu. Louisville has a great arts scene, a brand new state-of-the-art arena on the river, a food scene rated #1 in the country by Southern Living, and everything there seems to be getting better by the day. At least check it out!
Louisville wouldn't even be on my radar except that I've heard so many good things about it, and not very long ago I saw a TV special on Louisville, and I was blown away by the scenes they showed of the city's downtown and the arts district. And I was surprised at how the city, even though in Kentucky, is viewed as more Midwestern than Southern... at least that's the impression I got.

I could be very tempted to relocate there.

One question, however, which for me at least could be a dealbreaker: How is the public transit in Louisville? And walkability? Could one live there comfortably without a car, if one lived in or near downtown?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Louisville wouldn't even be on my radar except that I've heard so many good things about it, and not very long ago I saw a TV special on Louisville, and I was blown away by the scenes they showed of the city's downtown and the arts district. And I was surprised at how the city, even though in Kentucky, is viewed as more Midwestern than Southern... at least that's the impression I got.

One question, however, which for me at least could be a dealbreaker: How is the public transit in Louisville? And walkability? Could one live there comfortably without a car, if one lived in or near downtown?
Considered more Midwestern than Southern by whom? Granted, being a stone's throw from Indiana puts it at the very least in a sort of 'transition zone.' And I'm sure to someone from Little Rock or Tallahassee it feels more Midwestern than Southern. But to my Northern Midwest sensibilities, it has a definite Southern feel.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Louisville walk score

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post

Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themingo View Post
I'd suggest Louisville. I know it's not first on ANYONE'S move-to list, but it's where I grew up, and the downtown area (especially Market St.) is currently booming. Tons of lofts with great downtown and river views, and tons of new restaurants and businesses popping up in the area now called NuLu. Louisville has a great arts scene, a brand new state-of-the-art arena on the river, a food scene rated #1 in the country by Southern Living, and everything there seems to be getting better by the day. At least check it out!
I didn't know it was as large as it is in terms of population. I figured it was around 350k or so

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I didn't know it was as large as it is in terms of population. I figured it was around 350k or so
I think it was, not very long ago. I seem to remember that the city at some point consolidated with the rest of the county, or something along those lines, so now the city is much larger and covers more territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.