Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are virtually all homes air conditioned and/or heated in your area?
Virtually all both heated and air conditioned 20 54.05%
Virtually all heated, less than virtually all air conditioned 13 35.14%
Virtually all air conditioned, less than virtually all heated 4 10.81%
Virtually all neither 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times

Advertisements

Of course every house has some sort of heating system. Around here our decades old gas floor furnace is fired up so infrequently it smells as it begins heating up some of the gathered dust- maybe five to seven times a year- and then it is on for just for a 1/2 hour or so just to take a rare chill off. A/C, never need it and don't have it. We live by the coast so it is the mildest part of a mild climate though- go a few miles inland and you need both heat and A/C much more.

It is wild visiting other parts of the country in the winter where it is a matter of life or death to have a functioning furnace, and equally so to not be able to ever open a window or door in the summer because air conditioning has to be on constantly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:46 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Aren't all homes everywhere required to have heat? I would imagine only Hawaii might not have that requirement. I always thought heating was a requirment but AC was always optional and never required since it's considered a "luxury".

In San Diego all the homes I lived in for 9 years had heat but NONE had AC. I lived by the coast and almost none of the homes had AC.

Here in the outer East Bay all have eat and most have AC. My mom's house doesn't have AC, which is rare in this area and kind of sucks during the summer.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
The vast majority of homes here have central air and heat; even the older ones have been retrofitted for the most part. Mostly gas heat and electric air conditioning although many have electric heat esp. heat pumps and some old gas air conditioners from the 50s, 60s, and 70s are still in use although they are very rare nowadays.

The old houses with window units and gas floor furnaces and space heaters a few in number today. People are more willing to pay to be comfortable and safe!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
The vast majority of homes here have central air and heat; even the older ones have been retrofitted for the most part. Mostly gas heat and electric air conditioning although many have electric heat esp. heat pumps and some old gas air conditioners from the 50s, 60s, and 70s are still in use although they are very rare nowadays.

The old houses with window units and gas floor furnaces and space heaters a few in number today. People are more willing to pay to be comfortable and safe!
What is your location? These posts are more interesting when you say where you are.

I would say most in Western WA and Western OR can get by with a good fan during the summer. Open up the windows, run the fan and you will be OK without A.C., same with the Bay Area of CA, as long as you are not too far inland.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
What is your location? These posts are more interesting when you say where you are.

I would say most in Western WA and Western OR can get by with a good fan during the summer. Open up the windows, run the fan and you will be OK without A.C., same with the Bay Area of CA, as long as you are not too far inland.
I'm in Shreveport La. The main difference between it and New Orleans is hotter in summer, colder in winter, a little less humidity and rain. Some people couldn't tell it just visiting, but living here for awhile you begin to notice a few weather differences.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Aren't all homes everywhere required to have heat? I would imagine only Hawaii might not have that requirement. I always thought heating was a requirment but AC was always optional and never required since it's considered a "luxury".

In San Diego all the homes I lived in for 9 years had heat but NONE had AC. I lived by the coast and almost none of the homes had AC.

Here in the outer East Bay all have eat and most have AC. My mom's house doesn't have AC, which is rare in this area and kind of sucks during the summer.
I know someone living in San Francisco that has no heat and obviously no A/C. Use an electric space heater.

Here, everyone has heat. I think more have A/C than not though many don't, I don't. Window units are popular especially in older homes.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 PM

One of air conditioning's strong selling points that they help control allergens in the house air. By not having to raise the windows, you can keep pollen and moldspores out of your home for the most part. Otoh I miss the fresh clean smell of outdoor air traveling through the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.