Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
By 'shallow south' are you implying they're not as Southern?
Not as intensely, stereotypically southern, but not necessarily any 'less' southern. Just like the West Coast isn't as intensely American, but isn't any 'less' American (in fact, California is the face of television/film).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
So, this is just one conception of regions.
not a bad map, i guess, but i'm not really getting the divisions of the south.

to me 'the deep south' includes the northern gulf coast region, and it's anywhere that slave agriculture once dominated.. which is stereotypical swampland, oak/pine forests with spanish moss, lots of cotton, few big cities, at least 30%+ black, maybe higher.

it should exclude anything that's part of the upland south (what you call "shallow south"), or the Appalachians, or south Florida.

in general my belief has long been that the Human geographical regions of the south were very heavily influenced by the agricultural regions of the south.

Last edited by le roi; 05-31-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
I think the deep south/upper south divide is becoming antiquated. It used to be a huge division but now I think the division is more east and west.

I like the idea of the South Atlantic (with the exception of WV) divided from the inner south. The coastal southern states have grown a lot more and have surpassed states like Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee in that way. They've become more diverse and cosmopolitan thanks to the growth of cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, and even Charleston to an extent. And I would include Florida in that region north of Orlando. South Florida is so unique that it doesn't fit into any region very neatly.
i agree. i've always thought that N. Florida, Georgia, SC, and NC were one unique region that was different from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, or Tennessee. There's just something of a more feral, backwoods mentality in those 'western' states, especially Arkansas. I guess it's a question of how many categories you can fit on the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.