Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

While on my daily run today through the suburbs I detest like the plague due to their lack of infrastructure, it was as if God suddenly gave me a "sign" to hate them even more when THIS happened to me as a direct result of the negligence of elected officials in the suburbs to address the needs of their residents:

Moderator cut: image removed

I know it only looks like a meager wound, but nevertheless it could have been EASILY avoidable if Pennsylvania's suburbs had sidewalks. There I was a mere mile into my run minding my own business when my foot got caught in a rut in the road, and I went flying down right onto my left knee. I likewise tried reaching out with my right palm to break my fall, and I skinned that up royally as well. I was bleeding and wincing in pain, and a number of motorists passing me on the roadway saw me fall (yet not one stopped to help, which likewise showcases just how sterile and uncaring the suburbs are). After screaming profanities at the top of my lungs for a few moments loudly enough to wake the dead to voice my disgust and disdain for our suburbs, I hobbled up and continued the remaining five miles of my run, limping along the way.

I'd like to see pittnurse70, SpeedyAZ, toobusytoday, and the others who think suburbs are the best things since sliced banana bread justify not only why the suburbs are NOT providing basic infrastructure (SIDEWALKS) for their residents, but also as to why not one of these "friendly" suburbanites who saw me wipe out could have put their flashers on for a moment, pulled to the roadside, and asked if I was okay. For all they knew I could have broken my left leg, but I suppose that doesn't matter here in suburbia, the land everyone on City-Data holds so near and dear to their hearts.

I'm going to blow this picture up, print it off, and make copies of it (in full color to show the blood) in order to present it at the next council meeting in hopes that SEEING that their willful neglect in providing sidewalks for residents is actually HURTING them. I'm also planning to blog about this on both MySpace and FaceBook in order to further ridicule this suburb's inability to provide basic infrastructure to its residents. If I'm given the runaround by city council, I'll threaten to SUE the next time I trip and fall on a pothole or rut in the road because sidewalks and shoulders are non-existent (and the ones that do exist are blocked by people who are permitted to ILLEGALLY park on them day in and day out while the cops just drive by).

At least my future neighborhood near Scranton's core is established with not only sidewalks, but also streetlights, crosswalks, and shade trees to make running much more pleasant. No wonder why so many PA suburbanites these days are obese; how can they run/jog off their calories when they don't have anywhere to safely do so?

Excuse me now while I go cleanse my wound with peroxide.

Last edited by Marka; 08-16-2014 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
That sucks man, no doubt. But I dont really think it has anything to do with suburban planning. Youre just as likely to get that wound by tripping on a sidewalk block as you are in the street. You can come count my scars if you dont believe me. haha

Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
SWB, oh - I hope you will feel better soon. I hate suburbs, too. Growing up in Europe, I am used to walking everywhere. I never even had a drivers liscense until I moved to the US and I think the suburbs are one reason why people in America are so obese. Everyone drives everywhere! Yikes.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Dude, I've broken bones in football and hockey plenty of times. I think you'll get over that. lol

Hope you feel better.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
SWB, oh - I hope you will feel better soon. I hate suburbs, too. Growing up in Europe, I am used to walking everywhere. I never even had a drivers liscense until I moved to the US and I think the suburbs are one reason why people in America are so obese. Everyone drives everywhere! Yikes.
Well, you are wrong. I live in a suburb of NYC and we are one of the most physically fit schools in the nation.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 PM

NYC is an exception BECAUSE they have excellent public transportation, but most people do a lot of walking. But I am not talking about SCHOOLS, I am talking about the general population. In schools most students are involved in sports!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:59 PM

Are you trying to deny that Americans have one of the highest obesity rates? And that lack of exercise has something to do with that. If you live in a town where people do a lot of walking, because you can get to where you need to go, less of them will be fat, simple.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 PM

572 posts, read 1,996,000 times
Your fellow students are physically fit because they're rich or at least upper middle class. Poor people are fatter. I also think poor people are less attractive. But perhaps that should be another thread.

Keep running Wilkes nobody wants a fat partner.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Your fellow students are physically fit because they're rich or at least upper middle class. Poor people are fatter. I also think poor people are less attractive. But perhaps that should be another thread.

Keep running Wilkes nobody wants a fat partner.
Just because people are rich doesn't mean they're physically fit.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Are you trying to deny that Americans have one of the highest obesity rates? And that lack of exercise has something to do with that. If you live in a town where people do a lot of walking, because you can get to where you need to go, less of them will be fat, simple.
Hell no, I know it's true. But suburbs are not the main cause of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.