Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 06:00 PM

39 posts, read 51,246 times

Advertisements

The differences are exagerrated. I am from outside Boston and if I compared to a guy from NYC, Philly or Baltimore it isn't much of a difference to go on about. But compare me to a rural farmboy 50 miles out and it is. It's an urban/rural divide. Boswash has it's own thing going on and rural areas whether in Maine, NH, NY, PA or MD are kinda a more local flavor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Pennsylvania is much more conservative than New York State.
I acknowledged that New York is more liberal, but in comparing rural areas of both states Upstate NY is more politically balanced, whereas Central PA is decidedly conservative (although the most conservative areas are definitely the least populous--they don't possess nearly as much of the state's population as reputation suggests).

Last edited by Duderino; 12-17-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 07:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,526 times
This is sort of a simplistic and broadbrushing view, but To me, a lot of Vermont was a mixture of either the wealthy out-of-towners in the colleges or vacation homeowners or, they were very low income natives. They were very protective of their state and definitely did not like the people who were moving in. When I first got to Vermont, I heard "flatlander" regularly. Vermont is expensive and takes a certain personality to 'fit in' or 'stick-it-out' for want of a better term. The slower pace, economic disparity and other stuff mentioned gave it a different dynamic than PA, in my opinion. Both of them have their highs and lows. I had a lot of enjoyable times in both states. Vermont had more in common with Maine than it did its neighbor New Hampshire to me, also . . .

Old 12-18-2014, 11:23 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
The differences are exagerrated. I am from outside Boston and if I compared to a guy from NYC, Philly or Baltimore it isn't much of a difference to go on about. But compare me to a rural farmboy 50 miles out and it is. It's an urban/rural divide. Boswash has it's own thing going on and rural areas whether in Maine, NH, NY, PA or MD are kinda a more local flavor.
Its exaggerated but sometimes even small differences are still noticeable.

For instance when I am driving on a Connecticut highway, the Connecticut cities will have a certain look to them that seems different. I cannot exactly pin down what it is that is different but there is a difference.

On the other hand, small towns in Pennsylvania also look different to me. Not a big difference but there is something that is different.

I agree with you about the urban rural divide.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:39 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Unfortunately, however, this seems to be based on a lack of sophisticated knowledge regarding more localized accents/cultures in other parts of the country.

I think there is a view among many New Englanders, in my experience, that anything outside of New England has "Southern culture," which is rather odd.

I think images strongly drive popular perception, but at the very least, Southern New England (e.g., MA, CT and RI) and the Mid-Atlantic (e.g., NY, NJ, PA, DE and MD) are very similar and comparable in many ways.

Yeah, I agree the difference between Northern and Southern New England is pretty big. IMO, MA, CT and RI have more in common with the I-95 megalopolis peers (Eastern PA, NJ, Albany) than with largely rural VT, NH and Me. Both areas are a dense clusters of old, midsized industrial cities with modern suburban sprawl. Both regions are generally a comfortable drive from NYC (+/- 3 hours) with Philly or Boston (as close or closer). These cities also seem to have more population spill over from people priced out of the big costal cities.

IMO, Western PA/Western Upstate NY (Syr, Roch, Buff) have a semi-mid-western feel and aren't as densely population and don't have the proximity to Bos-NYC-Philly. Northern NE is kind of its own thing.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Both regions are generally a comfortable drive from NYC (+/- 3 hours) with Philly or Boston (as close or closer).
Good luck trying to get from Boston to New York in 3hrs...

It's a 215 mile drive. You'd have to drive at a constant 72 mi/hr the entire way.....

Old 12-18-2014, 06:08 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
That's why I said in general. But pretty much all of Ct and western and central ma is 3 hours. Worcester and Providence are about 3+ hrs to the NYC city limits. Yeah, Boston is closer to 4 hrs. But it is at the far end of southern NE.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Good luck trying to get from Boston to New York in 3hrs...

It's a 215 mile drive. You'd have to drive at a constant 72 mi/hr the entire way.....
Through Connecticut at 72mph on those highways? Yeah I don't think so either. There's always traffic in CT. Average Boston - NYC roadtrip was about 4 - and closer 4.5 hours in my experience, and I'm not a slow driver.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree the difference between Northern and Southern New England is pretty big. IMO, MA, CT and RI have more in common with the I-95 megalopolis peers (Eastern PA, NJ, Albany) than with largely rural VT, NH and Me. Both areas are a dense clusters of old, midsized industrial cities with modern suburban sprawl. Both regions are generally a comfortable drive from NYC (+/- 3 hours) with Philly or Boston (as close or closer). These cities also seem to have more population spill over from people priced out of the big costal cities.

IMO, Western PA/Western Upstate NY (Syr, Roch, Buff) have a semi-mid-western feel and aren't as densely population and don't have the proximity to Bos-NYC-Philly. Northern NE is kind of its own thing.
Ironically, the most dense municipality in Upstate NY is Kenmore, a suburb adjacent to Buffalo.

Albany is a good 2 hours or so from I-95 as well, but it does have an older urban feel.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:

Good post.

I am glad you mentioned semi-Midwestern feel. Because there are some differences to be sure. For instance, if you look at a satellite view of the farmland in western Pennsylvania and New York you will see farmland mixed with forests and wood lots. Now move over to central Illinois and the forests have largely disappeared, except near streams. Also the fields in Illinois seem to be larger and straighter.

Regarding northern New England as it own region, from a natural point of view, it would extend into New York State. The wild backwoods of northern Maine for instance are very similar to the Adirondacks of New York for instance. The map below shows it stretching from near Lake Ontario all the way to New Brunswick.

Northern Forest Center : About the Northern Forest (The Northern Forest)

http://www.northernforest.org/data/u...ocator_map.jpg (NF MAP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.